The Power Question, solved?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey guys, so, I was in the middle of creating my first large ship, when, like many others, I realised I'd done something drastically wrong with the power blocks.

So, I read up a bit on it, and saw a few ideas of how best to build a 5x5x5 block of power blocks.

Here is my solution:

X is a Power Block, O is anything else.

Layer 1

XXOXX
    XOXOX
    OXXXO
    XOXOX
    XXOXX

Layer 2

XOXOX
    OXOXO
    XOXOX
    OXOXO
    XOXOX

Layer 3

OXXXO
    XOXOX
    XXOXX
    XOXOX
    OXXXO

Layer 4

XOXOX
    OXOXO
    XOXOX
    OXOXO
    XOXOX

Layer 5

XXOXX
    XOXOX
    OXXXO
    XOXOX
    XXOXX

If you test that in game, you will see that gives you 9520.4 energy per second. I'm not sure if that's mathematically the best as I haven't punished myself into figuring out a logical proof (and I don't want to), but it seems pretty straight forward to me. 76 out of 125 blocks, over half, sounds good to me, very few spaces to fit in anything else in there.

Also, the major aspect of this build is, if any of you have noticed already, it's a very simple, and repeating pattern. So much so, that you can actually repeat layers 2, 3, 4 and 5 to your hearts content in ANY direction, so you're not limited to it being a 5x5x5, but any multiple thereof. I feel this beats any of the other 5x5x5 builds as you don't need an insulting layer between it and susequent 5x5x5 builds!

Enjoy!

Happy space time!

Moph

Reaction score
    I love the fact that this is a repeated pattern. Usually with the 5^3 challenge, the reactors are ugly monstrocities. This is really an elegant design.

Reaction score
    the old design milkman made is still the top producing 5x5x5 pattern, it gets 9927, but good job (and keep in mind you can build larger than 5x5x5 )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks AnnoyingName :).

I\'ve been using this for a couple of days now and it can be built quite quickly as it\'s easy to remember the pattern, especially if your mind starts to wander. I haven\'t seen milkman\'s one, but that\'s very interesting, hopefully it\'s repeatable too, I\'ll check it out in a bit, thanks.