The P6 Clock (the shoot-out rail "Alter"native)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Since the update, shoot-out rail clocks have become more unstable. The danger of docked cores flying apart has become more common. Especially when the server is lagging. So I decided to try to make a Clock that doesn't use shoot-out rails and can still achieve the same pulses per second. Dare I say, I've made an "update proof" alternative to the shoot-out rail clock? (knock on wood)

I Present the P6 Clock.

A standard shoot-out rail clock is able to clock 16 pulses per second. As you can see from the pic, this one averages a bit higher. I have tested this with a jump drive and it can charge in 22.5 seconds.

There will be a video explaining how to make one soon (tm)

Next the AlterDrive, Muhahaha.....

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Interesting... Perhaps some creative logic use could reduce the entity count needed. I love the application of rail speed changes.

Reactions: alterintel

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm always finding more ways to shrink the logic, so who knows. But currently it just depends on how fast you want it. If you want it fast enough to charge a jump drive in 22.5 seconds this is how many entities you currently need. But if you only need something that's going to fire your cannon/cannon five times a second then you could probably get by with fewer.

There are other tricks that can be used, but I'm trying to stay away from stuff that I think may get "fixed" later. Hopefully this clock is update proof and works for a long time.

Reactions: Brokengauge

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Since the update, shoot-out rail clocks have become more unstable.
    I think it's because the shoot out rail is buggy.
    While using for drone deployment I noticed the drones didn't slide of nicely like they're supposed to. So I tested with a single rail and some ships and when the ship slides to the last rail it kind of shoots off on an angle.

Something definitely not right with it.

Reaction score
    it kind of shoots off on an angle
    If it is "merely" a slight upwards angle (up and away from the "face" of the shootout rail), then it is a result of the code it used not being sufficiently distinct/divorced from the un-dock code used in all the other bits of rail.

All other angles are quite likely a bug, or a factor of lag.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If it is "merely" a slight upwards angle (up and away from the "face" of the shootout rail), then it is a result of the code it used not being sufficiently distinct/divorced from the un-dock code used in all the other bits of rail.

All other angles are quite likely a bug, or a factor of lag.
    Thinking back on it, I think it is the face. I will check tonight. If this is by design, then it's not practical. I don't want the ship to be flying off on an angle. It's just stupid.