THE NO BULLS**T GUIDE TO SHIP CLASSES

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Cptn.Knewb: hey so i want you to check out out my awesome frigate!

Starlord Ohblivious: wait what is a frigate?

Knewb: you know... umm. ita a combat ship.

Ohblivious: oh so i have a frigate right over here?

Knewb: no man thats not a frigate thats a corvette.

Ohbliious: but i thought a frigate was a combat ship...

Knew: yea but ummm... its not big enough.

Ohblivious: so what about this ship....

Knewb: no man thats a cruiser. a frigate is a medium sized ship

Ohblivious: well who the f**k decides whats big and whats small?!?

Knewb: oh you know this obscure class system written on the forums, a frigate is about (insert number here) mass

Ohblivious: dude thats how big my ship is...

Knewb: but but... your corvette fits inside a the default space station docking bay....

Ohblivious: fine fine... how about anything that fits inside the space station hangar is a corvette... even sideways.

Knewb: ok and anything bigger is a frigate?

Ohblivious: how about a frigate is smaller than the station in any direction but too big to fit in a hanger bay.

Knewb: anything bigger is a capital?

Ohblivious: sure..

Knewb: then what do you call a ship thats longer than a shop?

Ohblivious: a lag cruiser

so there you have it... a no bull system for ship classification and if you want to make it simpler you can use the system i use and just call everything a frakking spaceship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    fits inside a station hangar (even sideways) its a corvette or a fighter if the core is exposed

if its too big to fit in the hangar its a frigate

longer or taller than the station itself then its a capital ship

longer than a shop and most people just call it unneccesary cpu power usage

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think my fleet doctrine actually fits this guideline, lol... Although I\'ve yet to try and park my latest corvette into a station.

Ultimately arguing about ship sizes is pointless, everybody has their own system and there is no right answer. All my ships do have general size constraints but it\'s based on what they need on/in them to be considered that class. Corvettes are fast relatively small combat ships, gunboats pack more firepower, frigates are medium sized and have a decent interior, destroyers pack big guns, cruisers favor missiles, battleships have massive deck guns, carriers carry.

The point of having classifications is good for building \"well rounded\" military forces but in the end it\'s all just for fun.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It also depends on what others do.

If everybody has max. 100\'000 blocks, a 100\'000 block ship is a Titan captial.

If everybody uses 1\'000\'000 for capitals, your is more like a cruiser, battleship or destroyer.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Just compare against ship size averages in your server

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    And we\'ve found the definitive system, I see no need for any further ship classification systems!

Fyi: In case someone does want an expansive something I made the DMSCS system.

Reaction score
    How about forget about wet navy classes? Or at least drop the idea that ship classes should be a function of size/mass instead of a much more logical role-based class system.

Reaction score
    Everyone should assign classes to their ships the way they feel like, and what makes sense to them.

Why tell them that what they think is a battleship, I regard as a cruiser? It\'s a battleship for them.

Like, if an alien empire attacks any sci-fi human empire, do they tell us to reclassify our ships because they are using a different scale?

That\'s why all topics about ship classes are exactly what the title claims this one isn\'t. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love starmade\'s freedom and you are entitled to do what you will with it, but its no bulls**t in the fact that you can look at a ship and know what it is without knowing the stats. most people classify ships on requirements that you have to be in-ship to know. I kinda wonderd what was up with that.