The expanding on factions thread

Reaction score
    With the upcoming "expand on some faction abilities" being worked on in the upcoming months, what are we all looking forward to?

Personally im waiting for a reason to capture other systems besides mining bonus, and something to spend faction points on like making additional stations invulnerable for a time.

Others on my server have asked for changing the way faction points work by changing that owning a system gives points instead of takes, and every 4th system owned gives the faction an additional homebase, this would help with the 400 1man factions we have on the server as it would be more beneficial for players to group up. Also note that if you lost enough systems, bases would lose their invulnerability, first homebase will stay the same.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    You mean an inverse FP setup?! - Doesnt affect solo factions at all (unless they dont play often enough / are bad at making ships etc), so that 4th system claimed free HB would be a bad idea - on Starbits I had (until recently) about 35 claims. How many invunerable HBs would that be now?!

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I'd think something like "spawn defender waves" (MOB_SIM_XXX_##[yourfaction] ) using faction points would be a good addition.
    Where XXX is a faction blueprint "defender spawnable" checkbox set up by anyone with a high enough faction rank. Scale the points consumed to BP mass, and have and "surviving" defenders "give back" the points when they despawn. Otherwise use the same "wave" ruleset as NPC MOB_SIM

Reactions: Koloss_Meshuggah
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    What's to stop someone from flying way outside the galaxy, claiming a massive amount of void systems with 2-block stations and then flying back home and building dozens of invincible homebases? Can you homebase a station in enemy territory? I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you can, invincible station spam will be the new method of warfare.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I'd think something like "spawn defender waves" (MOB_SIM_XXX_##[yourfaction] ) using faction points would be a good addition.
    Where XXX is a faction blueprint "defender spawnable" checkbox set up by anyone with a high enough faction rank. Scale the points consumed to BP mass, and have and "surviving" defenders "give back" the points when they despawn. Otherwise use the same "wave" ruleset as NPC MOB_SIM
    Whats the point in resources if you can just spawn with faction points

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Whats the point in resources if you can just spawn with faction points
    What's the point in faction points if they are not resources? One does not preclude the other, they just become different resources to be used in different game scenarios.

Reaction score
    With the above idea of invul stations, they are only invul while 4 systems are controlled for each. So spamming invul stations around an enemy and capping systems at a large distance away with no defense, whats stopping the enemy from taking all those systems then blowing up the stations each time 4 systems are removed?

Or

make it so you cant invul in enemy controlled systems

Its all good pointing at flaws in the idea, but please try to offer some sort of fix to keep the discussion going.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    With the above idea of invul stations, they are only invul while 4 systems are controlled for each. So spamming invul stations around an enemy and capping systems at a large distance away with no defense, whats stopping the enemy from taking all those systems then blowing up the stations each time 4 systems are removed?

Or

make it so you cant invul in enemy controlled systems

Its all good pointing at flaws in the idea, but please try to offer some sort of fix to keep the discussion going.
    The far-away claimed systems would not have to be defended, because nobody would want to travel for hours to get to them. I believe that the galaxies in starmade are laid out in a grid. If you could travel between them... I think you could go for a long time without dieing in a star. And no need to jam a penny in your W key with momentum.

Solution 1... have some kind of per galaxy limit. As if a giant box encompassed every galaxy. So if you owned 20 sectors in a particular galaxies' box, you are allowed 5 invlunerable homebases in that galaxy.

Solution 2... you could enforce some kind of rule, that a station can only be made invulnerable if the system it is located in is owned by your faction... and... that system is bordered by at least 3 or more systems owned by your faction. That way someone has to take your other neighboring territories before killing your station. It also forces the player to place invulnerable stations in an area that is kind of centralized in their empire. Your invulnerable station would be like a "core system", and the owned systems neighboring it would be like "border systems".

Last edited:
    Reactions: Shaker
    Reaction score
    Faction point drain is just a bad idea, way to open to spam and unbalanced in favour of larger factions with larger resource pools. Just stack a players faction and wait till you can loot everything the player had, forcing the enemy player to start all over.

Your first base should always give you a safe place to be, taking that away from players will just turn this game into Rust where only those of live on the server 24/7 can survive

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Faction point drain is just a bad idea, way to open to spam and unbalanced in favour of larger factions with larger resource pools. Just stack a players faction and wait till you can loot everything the player had, forcing the enemy player to start all over.

Your first base should always give you a safe place to be, taking that away from players will just turn this game into Rust where only those of live on the server 24/7 can survive
    This point I think covers that
    Despite its protection, your home base station or planet should be exempt from the above rule, as well as the FP cost for owning a structure outside of claimed territory. Factions should not be obligated to claim a system.
    As far as I understand you can always keep your homebase regardless in this system. It would apply for 'other' bases. This means that you would never be forced to start all over.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As far as I understand you can always keep your homebase regardless in this system. It would apply for 'other' bases. This means that you would never be forced to start all over.
    Correct... ish? Basically, that provision means that nobody is forced to play the FP/stations game if and when they don't want to. It does not, however, replace the current system where your homebase becomes vulnerable if your FP goes negative. It just means that you can still have a faction with only a home base and not be at any risk, as long as you do not claim your system for a long enough period of time that enemy factions can drain your FP with stations. (Which does not preclude temporary claims for mining.)

For the record: That entire proposal of mine has one fundamental 'flaw' - It assumes that faction points, claiming, and stations will have other purposes than they do currently. Otherwise, most factions will opt to do temporary claims and otherwise just turtle in their homebase as they do now, unless the config is modified so that claiming a system is necessary to maintain your FP as a larger faction.

Also, I forgot one part of my list of exemptions: If someone has a homebase in an unclaimed system and another faction claims the system, the station does not get automatically de-homebase-protected like another protected station would. However, you could not re-homebase-protect your station if you were to de-protect it, as it should not be possible to claim a home base in enemy territory, neither could you set up a new homebase in an enemy (or hostile-to-neutral) system.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    What are peoples thoughts on vassaling other factions? Or even sub-factioning?

Its some of the things brought up on the server im on, the server has reached 400 factions with the vast majority being 1man sized (id also go as far as 80% inactive)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Its some of the things brought up on the server im on, the server has reached 400 factions with the vast majority being 1man sized (id also go as far as 80% inactive)
    Solution... remove homebase invulnerability if no one in the faction has logged in for 30 days. On the 31st first day a fleet of alien ships called "The Cleaners" warp into the galaxy, destroy all your stuff, then vanish. Add option in server config to turn "The Cleaners" on and off.

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    What are peoples thoughts on vassaling other factions? Or even sub-factioning?

I will bring up your server next OOB meeting as proposition for colonisation.

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Totally welcome in helping the clean up duty
    I've had a look. Forum seems to not be very active for Starmade and if there were some invigorating announcements could help it along. The OOB will probably also establish a minor colony there and start recruiting soon after, which could help to give a focus point for those interested in playing in a bigger community. We do sign vassal, sovereign and protectorate arrangements too so that might also be something to look for.
    [doublepost=1476888368,1476887886][/doublepost]Also would be good if there was a faction/clan subsection or section of the forum. This could entice some factions to set up.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the feedback, the craftau forums is mainly for minecraft so far as not enough starmade players get on and use it for a factions section to be opened up.

Another idea, adding faction rank clearance to faction permission blocks.