The Energy storage problem

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Am I missing something, or are the power tanks supremely underpowered and worthless? I've tried to get them to work, and they do get a bonus from being in the same segment, but configuration does not matter(which i'l let pass because I assume that's planned in some form for every module) and the numbers are so low. Connecting 100 of them together on a ship only gives 3,000 extra energy storage, compared to the 20,000 from the one block of the ship core, and the several tens of thousands that could be generated each second if you made the tanks into power generators. I want to use them, they would make burst cloakers light weight and many other things, but as it is they should be buffed without exageration 10x or more.

Reaction score
    Yes they seem to not be very useful at the moment. You\'re better off with just more power blocks than the tanks.

Reaction score
    They come into play in much larger ships, where a single shot from a weapons system could be more than the default amount of energy you get. Because the ship is so large, they have the room to make the intricate/large designs needed to have the power tanks make a difference. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading a vet say the equation used by power tanks was expontial, so they make a difference in large amts, not so much in smaller ones. For simple ships, HatTheJack is right, stick with power blocks for regen.

Reaction score
    they are designed to be used by large ships that can no longer function on the optimal 1m regen cap of smaller ships. the transition is a amply wide range, without being overpower or underpowered, some tweaking might be needed, but generally speaking, tanks are meant to be used in very large groups on capital ships, smaller ships should not be capable of exceeding their optimal regen, and so have little use for tanks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tanks work best when you make a hollow cube and then do something like this on the inside http://i.imgur.com/AWm428x.png

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The checkearboard method no longer works, it was a bug that was fixed.

They behave rather odd. The more you have the bigger the increase.

It is mean to work off this algorithm:

Tank_count^1.5

Essentially, however many tanks you have in the same group, to the power of 1.5

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been testing them recently. Its the more you have directly connected the bigger the increase.