The Dock It All block

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The Dock It All

Currently, in order to dock a turret you place a "Turret Docking Unit" (TDU) onto a surface and adjust the allowed docking area by attaching "Turret Docking Enhancer Unit" (TDEU) to the TDU; you than dock a ship core directly to the TDU and it, and anything attached to it, are now designated as a turret. This setup allows the docked turret to swivel about an axis perpendicular to the TDUs placement. Than the docked turret is provided limited movement outside of that axis, usually until the whole assembly bumps into another nearby block. A small turret will have 1 TDU and few to no TDEUs while a large turret will still have 1 TDU and possibly quite a few TDEUs. I feel that this makes for peculiar turret movement and limits the turrets effectiveness... plus it looks silly (in my opinion) to have a massive turret on your space dreadnaught being held to your ship via a 1m wide docking block...

What I would like to propose is the replacement of the TDU and TDEU with 1 block that acts as both, but does not specify "turret." This one docking block (henceforth referred to as a Dock It All or DIA) provides a rotational plane parallel to its placement surface (just like the existing TDU) but the provided docking area is increased by grouping DIAs together in even or odd ring or disc (perhaps any regular) shapes and they should automatically center the rotation axis at the center of the group of DIAs ( so 1 DIAs axis will be in center of the block, while a square of 4 DIAs axis would be at the center of the group touching a corner of each DIA). Height should be aesthetic and not affect the mechanics of the DIA, only the dimensions parallel to the DIAs attachment surface affect its allowed docking area (and possibly how much torque it has - rotational speed).

On the removal of the "turret" designation - I think that perhaps there should not be a separate area of a ship designated as "turret" but rather allow turrets to be an extension of the ship, that happen to rotate and shoot things. If a docked ship looks like a turret than the player can call it a turret, but ships in a bay or turrets on the hull should all share a common docking, its just what they do afterwards that determines what they are. In this way you still retain the separate entity of the "turret" (therefore affected separately than that of its host). Also, by removing specific designations for docking modules the DIA could be used to allow none shooty things to be attached to a ship and rotate OR, allow for a part of a turret (say the guns) to have a separate plane of rotation than (but in addition to) that of the base. With that you can have a turret, for example, rotate on the X plane while allowing the shooty bits (or whatever is attached to the other DIA) to also rotate on the Y plane.

Docking area and clipping - The allotted area provided with which something can dock to a DIA, or a group of DIAs, should be just that, the maximum size (length, width, height) that a single thing can be in order to dock. This area should not have to be clear of all other blocks, it should only apply to something that is attempting to dock or is docked; only if a separate block within the docking area, in the way of a ships docking path (between docking ship A's DIA and docking ship B's DIA), or if by docking, a ships structure will be moved to a location in space that is already occupied by blocks does it become an issue.

No more core docking - The ship core is the heart of a vessel, as such it should be deep within so as to provide it with the utmost protection... not exposed so that docking can be achieved. Instead, the DIA (or a group) can be provided with a short range (not 100m) docking laser that fires from the rotation axis (so only 1 beam no matter how many DIAs are grouped together) and docks to another DIA or group of DIAs. Having it this way ensures that differently sized docking surfaces always dock center to center This prevents having to expose your ship core and allows larger ships to dock via player made docking port holes.

Side note - a ring shaped DIA could provide for player passage between docked ships or for turrets with depth below plane of rotation but this bit means the allowed docking area would have to extend above and below plane. This could be done by defining the plane of rotation as the surface of the DIA perpendicular to its rotation? Once the a DIA has been placed this information should be defined for it (or its group), and subsequent DIAs stacked upon that one would move the plane of rotation so that it is always the surface of the outermost DIA. The docking area must be able to clip through existing ship structure as well.

Side side note - I guess this replaces all docking blocks and some core functionality...

I know there are several threads about docking ideas but I didn't see one quite put this way so here it is... and I'm not a programer so i have no idea whether any of this is possible or not. Feel free to comment, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

Last edited:

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sounds interesting.... but for me, I just turn off docking requirements, that way its 1 block. I just need to make sure I have the room in the hanger or on/in the ship for defense turrets. Sometimes I use 1 turret dock as a ship dock if there is enough room in the bay so the ship can rotate and face the other direction before lift off. :)

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Only 1 like? =(

Am I missing something?

Reaction score
    Only 1 like? =(

Am I missing something?
    Don't expect a constant stream of likes. You'll more likely have people debate you or say 'looks good'. The most popular ideas on SM get 3 or 4 likes max.

Anyway, there is a block in game called 'plexlander' that does not work but used to. It was a magnetic lander that attached ships no matter what size they were, I think making it canon again would be a better idea.

Reactions: mrsinister
    Reaction score
    @ToyotaSupra, so the plexlander is an old block, not a new block? Interesting, I assumed it was something new, as the latest docking threads are the first I've heard of it.
    Do you know if @schema & team ever said why it had to be removed? Was it a performance thing, as others have suggested?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I definitely like this idea, and think it would be a good idea to replace the two separate docking block sets with a single unified set, reducing used Block IDs. The mechanics might need to be simplified, at least at first, to keep the game logic from lagging the server.

From a gaming point of view, I think it would provide better flexibility and more fun, giving ship builders more options.

Reaction score
    Hate to say it but I'm no fan of the docking system - requiring enhancers to expand the docking area - much less the use of separate blocks for turrets and ships. It should be one docking system regardless of the type of structure being attached. A unified system might even be able to dock structural modules that are not ships or turrets... modular ships and space stations!

If I had my druthers I would completely do away with the docking enhancer blocks and instead, let the docking block use some power while something is attached to it. The power cost could be proportional to the mass of the structure docked to it. The docked ship becomes inert and cannot fire weapons or activate AI turrets. Maybe turrets could still fire but would require manual operation... that is, provided you have enough crew members to man them all!

I would suggest that a ship docked to another becomes part of the host ship. Basically just a big useless brick with no AI and no shields... yes, that's right, the docked ship now adds it's mass to the host and is protected by the host ships shields. After all, wouldn't the host and docking ships shields conflict and push them apart? Then it seems to me that the docked ship must disable it's shields in order to dock and must then be dependent on the host ship to provide shielding. So if you're attacked and have a shield deficiency due to large docked ships being attached, sucking up too much power and shield regen, then better to deploy them suckers into the battle! heehee! That way there is no safety for docked ships, except at faction bases. Then maybe they can bring back the lander block without worrying about large ships with lots of turrets making the base OP... the landed ship can do nothing while docked or landed, preventing the base from making use of all those turrets on an invulnerable ship. If you wanna take advantage of all those turrets, then you gotta un-dock and get into the fight... the way it should be IMHO.

Anyway, with the new weapons system and logic blocks being added, seems like now the only ships worth building are huge ones, that have enough space for all these extra blocks and structures that weren't needed before. Would be nice to eliminate the ugly, space-hogging docking enhancers to make room for logic circuits, shield re-generators (why did they ruin shields by splitting them into two blocks???) and all those extra arrays of weapon blocks. Seems this game is moving toward the elimination of effective small to medium sized ships in favor of mega builds only.

Reactions: Unnamed25