The Despair Thread

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Did a space pirate blow up your house and all your pet Quad Spiders with it? Did your ship get blown to tiny pieces and you didn't save a blueprint? Share a screenshot of your tragic losses and feel depressed, along with everyone else!

So happy! Yay!
    *cough, cough*

To start things off: When you have 90 missiles to dock to your ship. 86 to go...

(Hey, at least Mass Spawn Ships is a thing now. :P )

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    This one time I was about to loot a classic derelict... Suddenly server lag and there's a giant hole in the middle of the station and an asteroid is flying at light speed in nav.

no idea how...

Reactions: Agame3 and Lecic

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I once lost a good six hours of work to a bug - and I was just about to save the blueprint.
    I'm watching, and if I get a single "funny" tag on this... well, you get the idea.

Reactions: Agame3

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I once started work on an ork kill kruiser, I was about 5 hours in before...

I forgot symmetry

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I tend to have neutral is hostile on to defend against those non faction interlopers. Forgot to turn it off while spawning in a very large ship with active turrets. The Home Base came alive and the ship turned to space dust in seconds. Had been mining a week to fill that print. This was before you could spawn as own faction...

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    My first combat experience in multi-player vs custom pirates...

Star Axis defeated by pirates in the Aetherion Galaxy

Captain's log, Stardate 11-4-2X15.

The deep space exploration command ship; Axis-1 was shot down by pirate gunships while on a diplomatic mission in Iron Dragon Territory. A squadron of 12-15 pirate ships assaulted the Iron Dragon base and opened fire on Axis-1; disabling its shields. Axis-1 took evasive action and began to engage the enemy gunships to buy time for the Dragon defenses to respond but was eventually overcome by the sheer numbers within the attacking force. The crew of Axis-1 managed to abandon ship and escape before being rescued by Iron Dragon forces at a nearby shop.
    Additional Pylons.jpg Shuttle2.jpg Shuttle.jpg

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Did a space pirate blow up your house and all your pet Quad Spiders with it? Did your ship get blown to tiny pieces and you didn't save a blueprint? Share a screenshot of your tragic losses and feel depressed, along with everyone else!

So happy! Yay!
    *cough, cough*

To start things off: When you have 90 missiles to dock to your ship. 86 to go...

(Hey, at least Mass Spawn Ships is a thing now. :p )
    in the hope of saving you some future despair; last time i tried docking warheads like that they randomly exploded from jittering. maaay want to test fire a few or fly around a little to make sure that thing isnt a huge waste of time...

Also when docking A LOT of stuff like that consider making a rack of some sort that has maybe 10 missiles on it and then copy+dock that instead.

as for my despair it's this cutie pie:

It started out as a fun little experiment in gatling guns, gone horribly RIGHT. Managed to fit 400.000 DPS on a 12000 mass ship with it after months of interleaving entities, and still had 1.4million shields and 18.000 thrust. Gun carried it's own power supply in each barrel and i got the logic timing just right, giving you a rapid fire weapon that's easy to lead thanks to the high projectile velocity from can/beam. Thought it was a surefire winner for blood and steel...

...except it had one little problem: i figured since it had so much DPS and relatively little HP having 30% of gun's DPS as emp damage would be good; just ram gun down opponents throat and they die horribly while unable to shoot! Unfortunately, this gave the ship a super nasty bug, causing it to self-emp and outtaging the entire ship whenever it was hit while traveling >100m/s, which it usually was :( I didn't figure this bit out until 20mins before the tournament started and died in round one trying to avoid the bug like an idiot.

On top of this, leading up to the tournament was the hilariously impotent power update that doubled the power cap. See gatlings are really neat because they let you fire 8 entities as if it's a single weapon; this effectively moves the power cap from 800.000 to 6.4 mil, but the ship's gun was only using 4mil, and with the power cap this could easily be done with just 2 entities, rendering the entire weapon setup pointless, unless i made it 3x larger :confused:. But hey at least it still worked, you could still strafe around AI titans lauging while their turrets ineptly fired at your shadow with the gun pumping them full of holes. Seeing as despair was not quite achieved yet, schine nobly descended from up high and granted the wonderful thrust update, effectively cutting your thrust to about half as far as i can tell. With a logic weapon that you can't aim with the mouse but whole ship has to turn you reeeeeally need that speed; not just for moving the gun correctly, but also for matching your opponent speed for easy leading; With the speed i simply gave up getting it to work; It might be salvageable but its no longer the peak efficiency death machine it was designed to be :(. I sunk i don't even know how many hundreds of hours into this thing. Replacing the barrel alone to correct some small error required undocking it from the ship, modifying one barrel with the changes, despawning the other 7 barrels and spawning in 7 new so you could redock them, which starmade would occasionally refuse to do because they had "phantom limbs" or something causing docking colissions, so you had to expand the rotato they were attached to in order to dock the fuckers, then watch them slowly drift into place before removing the extra docking strips. Then redock the rotato into the ship and reconnect all the wireless logic for each barrel. Then you find out you missed some stupid detail and had to do it again.

I didn't mind that though, back when it was worth it. I even managed to upgrade it with a bunch of cool new tech, swapping the traitorous EMP effect for ion and moving the ships DPS to an obscene 550k along with warheads for blowing up the cannon's ion effect computers to make the ship more effective against hull, but no improvements would fix the speed issue, and in its first combat run after the upgrades it lost repeatedly to a faster ship, never managing to land more than a few shots at a time...:oops:

As they say on the internet:
    Requiescat in piece in piece

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    in the hope of saving you some future despair; last time i tried docking warheads like that they randomly exploded from jittering. maaay want to test fire a few or fly around a little to make sure that thing isnt a huge waste of time...
    Aye, all 180 warheads are already docked, no problems so far but thanks for the heads-up! It they do blow up I might need to make an aftermath post here, heh...

Super cool Gatling Gun ship! It's a shame you couldn't fix the speed issue (have you tried using a Push clock?) If you remade it as a turret you could make some uber base defense!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Oh I'm sure you'll find a way to make it lethal again and get its speed back up. I think there might be a way to use overdrive and some push weapons to get around the speed issue but not sure. About how much mass does that thing have? With and Without the Gatling gun?

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Oh I'm sure you'll find a way to make it lethal again and get its speed back up. I think there might be a way to use overdrive and some push weapons to get around the speed issue but not sure. About how much mass does that thing have? With and Without the Gatling gun?
    It was built for 12000 mass total, about 5000 of that is gatling gun. It's allready overdrive + lots of thrust but there's no way to keep it 12000 mass and still have enough speed... Appreciate the push clock but its a terrible idea for a ship that requires precision ^^; It's not really top speed that kills it so much as agility; even if you can go 0-max in <1sec, fast ship can just dodge out of the way and you have no way of lining up shots.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I was thinking of maybe using some kind of docked push weapon to help speed up turning but than I checked again and it might throw off your aim too much. >.<

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Rip Umbriel (on the right)
    At least I still have that one turret I saved instead of you