The crafting system sucks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    @Trollerbobman soooo.... two days for one hundred hulls, i could get that in 10 minutes by selling rock and buying hull with the default salvager!

My friend BoB knows how to change the configs. He found the sweet spot to be that one ore/crystal yields 100 capsules. Now it doesn't take two hours to build a fighter - maybe 5-10 minutes.

Thus I propose that the vanilla amount of capsules from ore/crystal is 100.

But @ToyotaSupra , in minecraft you can still build a default wooden house from nothing in a relatively little amount of time. A little fighter which would be equivalent "early game stuff" would take waaaay longer with the current crafting system.
    [/QUOTE]

One hundred hard hulls*, and by hard hulls I mean in both blue and black, in every shape.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hulls are easy to get. Just salvage a couple of asteroids and get loads of capsules. (you need the rocks for hull).
    It is going to be a lot easier to get hull once those rocks also spawn on planets.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah; basic elements in this game (Normal hull, power blocks, thrusters) are impractically hard to make and stupidly expensive... Just building an Isanth-like ship would require a ridiculous amount of work and time.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Though it might not be that bad that weapons and thrusters are a bit expensive.

RP prefers <16% internals, rest hulls.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Does seriously nobody else here see that if you were to set up a whole big factory and have a rather large salvage ship (about 50-100 salvage beams with cannon support) everything would be much better to get with to crafting system?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe should build a asteroid eating space-shark :)
    And a planet eating space-whale :D

Fires salvage from all directions ^^

But I have other projects currently

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No - because it still requires so much just to make basic crap

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    THEN JUST FRICKIN"CHANGE THE CONFIGS!!!!!!
    AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Rant over. But please, don't say things like that. The crafting system has feelings too, you know. IT doesn't like to be disliked. It just wants to be loved. Sniff. :(

Please read the following between the lines there:
    Some things still need to be balanced by default. Until then, just change the configs to your liking. And it does indeed require a lot of resources, but but with the right tools it doesn't take a long time.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i know, and that's exactly what i said, i like the way it works but not the values and also my friend bob changed the configs, what i want though is it to be easier by default

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I assume you are talking about hull and glass? The rest doesn't rquire that many resources. They should indeed be easier to craft by default.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    THEN JUST FRICKIN"CHANGE THE CONFIGS!!!!!!
    AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Rant over. But please, don't say things like that. The crafting system has feelings too, you know. IT doesn't like to be disliked. It just wants to be loved. Sniff. :(

Please read the following between the lines there:
    Some things still need to be balanced by default. Until then, just change the configs to your liking. And it does indeed require a lot of resources, but but with the right tools it doesn't take a long time.
    I'm going to ask you to simmer down a touch. The whole reason members of this community act out like this is because we know full well that we have a tremendous influence on the final product. Sometimes more people than others take issue with a game mechanic or feature, but that doesn't mean those people aren't on to something.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok. Some numbers to explain my reasoning.
    With the current default config values, you only need 1 salvage cannon linked to 1 cannon, and that multiple times. Make your total salavage array in a 25x25 checker board with all individual beams like that. That will give you 625 really fast salvage beams that only use 625x200 e/s (=125 000 e/s). To move it you will need some thrusters and you will need some power capacitors (to get capacity to at least 125 000) and regenerators. If you constantly build up your ship, getting the needed resources from the beginning when using the starter blocks and using your starter money to buy stop modules (for once they ar fixed and cancel out gravity), you will get everything you need in a reasonable amount of time.

I think that I will make it my personal challenge to do that in fact, I'll let you know how long it will take me to build that ship. Ok. You start with 50 000 power capacity. 50 000/200= 250, so say about 225 (a completely filled 15x15 checker board), and then...

Edit: Talk about simmering down a touch: why has this suggestion thread still got a negative name?

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Does seriously nobody else here see that if you were to set up a whole big factory and have a rather large salvage ship (about 50-100 salvage beams with cannon support) everything would be much better to get with to crafting system?
    The issue isn't obtaining resources to build stuff if you already have a large ship (With a sufficiently large ship, anything is possible, really.) the issue is that processing said stuff to create basic components (Not even advanced building elements like tertiaries) is a bit too expensive and far, FAR too complicated. Impossible? No. Impractical? Hell yes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If it is impractical, you could just link multiple factories together to create an automated factory. You'd just need to calculate the amount of resources that need to go in every factory.

Which is really annoying btw. Which is why I'm hoping that there will be better ways to automate factories.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If it is impractical, you could just link multiple factories together to create an automated factory. You'd just need to calculate the amount of resources that need to go in every factory.

Which is really annoying btw. Which is why I'm hoping that there will be better ways to automate factories.
    ...Okay, that's sort of practical, but still unnecessarily complicated. You should be able to process pure metal ores into corresponding hull; Perhaps 10 hull for one capsule. Not the current recipe, which I can't even remember... Remember that not every StarMade player is going to be one of us extremely dedicated alpha tester types who are willing to go through hundreds of files, thousands of videos, and millions of forum posts to find out what we need. Some people will look at crafting, look at all the strange trees and items, go "Um, what..." and just leave the factory interface. Furthermore, even if you're willing, why waste that effort when you can just use shops, stations, and pirates to get everything? Crafting is supposed to either:

1. be as easy as or easier than getting things by other means, or
    2. Offer unique results that cannot be obtained otherwise.
    If it doesn't fulfill at least one of these two requirements, people just won't use it 95% of the time. Just look at, say, Minecraft. Sure, you could go hunt down dungeons, NPC villages, and temples and slowly work your way up to a massive fortress and a full diamond set, but it's a lot easier to craft your "hull" equivalents (Stone block, brick, wooden planks, or whatever else you decide to use) and your weaponry and defense (Equivalent to shield equipment, weaponry, and tertiary modules here) than obtain those things any other way.

Then look at your average fantasy MMO. Often, you COULD craft things, but you have to spend huge amounts of time gathering crap and repeatedly making things you don't need to train up your crafting skills to a point where you can make useful gear. The result is that people usually just buy stuff off of the auction house or vendors (Equivalent buying from shops) or, later in the game, kill tough enemies in instances and get fancy boss-drop gear (Which is similar to killing large pirates in this game and getting ludicrous amounts of loot.

Killing enemies for, or buying, an Epic-tier [Sword of the Ancient Hunters (+10) <+300Str><+240Stm><+10%HP>] in my hypothetical average fantasy MMO, and a massive pile of 3240 Cannon Barrels, RadarJammers, and Overdrive Effect Modules here in Starmade, are going to be a lot more attractive to most people than spending days on end gathering tons of stuff from all over the game world to get roughly equivalent stuff.

Last edited:

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    hmmm, what if an added perk was you get bonus hp, dps, armor, etc (depending on the block) with player crafted blocks while the shops sold the baseline standard? Wouldn't that make crafting mean something?....as well as increasing x blocks gained in certain recipes and what not.... idk, just a random thought. ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hull is actually easy to make. It uses capsules from the new rocks that the asteroids have.

The problem isn't the crafting system. It is that people can just salvage space stations and sell the blocks for a massive profit, and then they just buy a blueprint of a ship they built before.

Reaction score
    Hull is actually easy to make. It uses capsules from the new rocks that the asteroids have.

The problem isn't the crafting system. It is that people can just salvage space stations and sell the blocks for a massive profit, and then they just buy a blueprint of a ship they built before.
    See this is what I was trying to say. Why bother? For both reasons you'd want to craft, either money or shipbuilding there simply is no point. It isn't the crafting that's the problem, it's the build block!

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Furthermore, even if you're willing, why waste that effort when you can just use shops, stations, and pirates to get everything? Crafting is supposed to either:

1. be as easy as or easier than getting things by other means, or
    2. Offer unique results that cannot be obtained otherwise.
    If it doesn't fulfill at least one of these two requirements, people just won't use it 95% of the time.
    You forgot 3. Offer large quantities of materials that could be more easily obtained in smaller quantities, but are difficult to obtain in the thousands.