The best idea for hulls ever.

Reaction score
    Dont' change 'em.

Just make it so that the core has as many hit points as the ship it's attached to has mass if the ship's current mass exceeds the some default value.. You don't need to armor it or anything.

There you go. Feel free to deposit millions of money-dollars directly into my Swiss bank account.

Reaction score
    Core strength would be relative to the quantity of hulls on the ship instead of its mass. That way PvP cubes at least have to be skinned :|. Good simple suggestion though. Could be abused with ridiculously huge ships being \"invincible\".

edit: just noticed the suggestion of the use of a soft cap. My bad.

Reaction score
    this idea has been discussed there, and shows the pros and cons

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    core sniping buggs me too... I like this suggestion.
    Value is also added to missiles: they do the maximum hull damage possible, while having little penetration. This way, they are taking off many hitpoints from the core, simply by hitting the armor

Reaction score
    I\'ve partially discussed this solution in my thread here: http://star-made.org/content/simple-solution-hull-mechanics

But to spare you the wall of text, it detracts from customization and is actually kind of goofy.

In my thread it was slightly different, mass-based hull-strength, though the result of your solution and that one is pretty much the same. The problem is that I could essentially have a 100x100x100 block of filled in hull anywhere on my ship, but then if I surround my core with only 1m thick hull, or no hull at all and leave it completely exposed, you\'re either spending a long time sniping the core or just chipping away at hull.

Essentially what it comes down to is, if I make a big ship or whatever, it\'s not as beneficial for me to thicken the existing plating, than it is to just build big blocks of hull on various other places on my ship to boost the HP of my ship core. It\'s less emphasis on protecting your ship by design, and more on protecting your ship-core with hull spam.

I think that you should protect certain parts of your ship by designing your hull around it, and thickening the hull in places that you prefer to be more armored. This type of depth allows for design flaws and \"Weak Spots\" based on someone\'s design. In your proposal this isn\'t the case.

Now Ixalite said missiles would have more value in your proposal, and I agree but only to a small extent. The heat seekers and BB missiles are only marginally increased in value. Since you can essentially have your ship-core exposed and just tank the damage as long as you have bricks of hull somewhere else, the design of ships will become more about protecting big bricks of hull rather than protecting the ship-core. And since lockon missiles only aim for the core, d1000\'s are potentially the only missiles that increase in value here, and since ships move, it\'s going to be pretty damn challenging to hit what you want to hit with a d1000.

However, I would agree that \"Core Drilling\" as a tactic also detracts from the depth of combat a lot. That being said however, there are a few other viable solutions to making core-drilling a less punishing and less viable tactic.

For instance, having the radar signature on your ship be the center of dimensions, rather than the ship core.

I also have a thread with a proposal for ship cores here: http://star-made.org/content/overhaul-ship-core

And there is yet another idea about having the ship core overheat after a ship loses a percentage of its integrity(Total blocks).

All three of those ideas for the ship core have their flaws(Personally I think the radar signature solution is probably the best one), but those solutions don\'t necessarily introduce cheesy ways of building your ship. And they all add some depth to combat in one way or another.

Just to re-iterate, I agree with your intent to make core drilling a less viable tactic, I just think that there are less negatively impactful solutions out there that accomplish that goal a bit better.

That\'s my constructive feedback!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I find the cores cool the way they are.

Simple reason?

If you dont want to get Core sniped, then hide it. Phantasy is everything. you dont need to put the core anywhere close to the Middle of your ship and you can put some Hull stuff around it...

I think, if core gets boosted, a part of the \"Strategic Ship building\" aspect is simply gone :(

Reaction score
    Only the turrets on ships auto-target the core, are super-precise, and you can\'t hide where your core is without using stealth.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    How about making hull group in the manner that weapons do? 1 group of hull gains armor stats based on how many are in the group! and beyond a certain armor rating the hull group bonus subsides to only hp boosting of a lesser degree instead of armor and hp boosting in addition to this, the bonuses apply to each group of hull, meaning that a multi-layered hull assembly would be more beneficial (outer hull, middle hull(s), inner hull/interior hull) than just straight up thick plating. the entire hull group gains the armor bonus, with hardenedhull givinging higher hp than normal hull and giving a better armor rating scaling per block within the group.

each hull group\'s damage will be taken through the group\'s armor and the block being hit\'s hp. as blocks are destroyed, armor rating will suffer

ex: multi-hull will force core-drillers to drill the first layer of hull and its armor rating, punch through some non-hull block underneath, then encounter another hull grouping with a fresh undamaged armor rating, etc. until it hits the core. but this will slow down the coredrilling proccess that some players play with.