The Ability to Upload, Create, or Select Custom Noises for Individual Ships

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Although not a significant priority of any sort, a additive feature would be one that would allow users, upon the creation of a ship, to be able to upload mp3 files or something similar in order to create custom ship noises.

Benefits of a system such as this would be that ships could finally have some individuality. Ships in media all tend to have very unique noises. For instance, the quiet purr of a star destroyer
    and the low bass rumble of Seperatist Warship are quite different.

Additionally, having some sort of "sound block" could allow different parts of the ship to have different sounds. An engine room could be programmed to have an engine noise, a bar room could be programmed to have chatter and the sounds of glasses clanking. Even fighters could have unique roars.

A system such as this, along with an improved npc system, would help alleviate some of the "dead vessel drifting in space" feelings that people get when entering a large starmade ship.

Reaction score
    Although not a significant priority of any sort, a additive feature would be one that would allow users, upon the creation of a ship, to be able to upload mp3 files or something similar in order to create custom ship noises.

Benefits of a system such as this would be that ships could finally have some individuality. Ships in media all tend to have very unique noises. For instance, the quiet purr of a star destroyer
    and the low bass rumble of Seperatist Warship are quite different.

Additionally, having some sort of "sound block" could allow different parts of the ship to have different sounds. An engine room could be programmed to have an engine noise, a bar room could be programmed to have chatter and the sounds of glasses clanking. Even fighters could have unique roars.

A system such as this, along with an improved npc system, would help alleviate some of the "dead vessel drifting in space" feelings that people get when entering a large starmade ship.
    Agree completely

Also, would love to see "acoustic blocks" that can produce individual notes and can be activated by logic

Let's get some music up in this b@#$%

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Please suggest the OGG file format -it's free. It plays in VLC and any proper media-player.

I would love to see a simple sound-editor menu in star-made. To adjust provided sounds as mp3s are often copyrighted.

Or create them in Rosegarden, which is free. (Hydrogen is a good drum sequencer for it)
    The main advantage with this technique is that the files take almost no space (as they are generated from a few numbers).
    I however wish for a better system where you can synchronize the start/end of a block with the length of another and other forms of "relative editing".

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    So long as players on multiplayer servers do not hear it. It sucks that they wouldnt be able to with such a neat feature but it also causes lots of problems if people want to troll others.

To be honest I'm not seeing a "market" for players that want to do sound design for their own ships though but maybe that's just me.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So long as players on multiplayer servers do not hear it. It sucks that they wouldnt be able to with such a neat feature but it also causes lots of problems if people want to troll others.

To be honest I'm not seeing a "market" for players that want to do sound design for their own ships though but maybe that's just me.
    Haha. NyanNyanNyanNyanNyanNyanNyan (Nyan cat stuff) :D I see.

But I don't see a problem as long as the sounds are derived from standard sounds (only minor pitch changes, etc).

The market will be there when it is easy enough.
    Pitch-patterns, Volume-patterns, Swing - for instruments alone and for Sound-channel relations. I think I forgot one.
    There will only be no market if you throw all 10'000 features at once on a newbie.

I guess a lot of peoples would just like their sound to be unique and approve some shuffled-effects for a quick result.​

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would LOVE SOUNDS IN-GAME!!!
    I always wanted my disco floor to be more than just a pretty space....
    However there would need to be a way to prevent.... inappropriate sounds from finding their way onto players ships XD (as well as an option for players to mute all sounds).

Maybe there could be a defualt sound libary??? Or we could get 'Note blocks' instead?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How this would work is as following: the size of the ship would determine in what sound catagory your ship would come
    so the first 10 sound effects would be for fighters, think Tie-Fighter styled sound effects etc.
    the rest is grayed out.
    after a certain mass the fighter sound effects are grayed out and some other sound effects are enabled
    for example Freighter sound effects think Millenium falcon etc (not the actual sound though something similar #copyright)
    than if you build your ship even bigger you get Capitsal sound effects think the star trek sound effect or the star destroyer sound effect

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2

I agree with this completely, however I think that it is important not to be dismayed to consider a feature simply because of it's negative implications. After all, this is a game where people can build whatever they want and do whatever they want with it, the possibilities for what people can create and then do with said creations are limitless, resulting in plenty of trolling. If we were to stop considering features simply because they might be destructive, then we would not have a chat system, a building system, a skin system, or a combat system, because all of these are susceptible to trolling. What is important to consider, are the practical ways to combat such misuses and consider systems that would allow these sorts of things to be effective. A simple tick box to enable or disable these sounds, much like the same system used for chat or the downloading of skins, would be an excellent way to solve this. Users who roleplay or are willing to take the risk, could enjoy the benefits that something like this could provide. Additionally, a community verification system could be implemented to filter out the inappropriate creations, the possibilities are endless. What I suggest, is that we don't be too hasty to dismiss ideas simply because of possible misuses.

In addition, I think you'd be surprised by what the community is capable of. If people in the community want something, they will find a way to make it happen. People learn to become programmers and graphic artists because they are inspired by this and games like it. Starmade and other sandbox games have some of the most resourceful communities, I am confident that people would come up with amazing stuff.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In addition, I think you'd be surprised by what the community is capable of. If people in the community want something, they will find a way to make it happen. People learn to become programmers and graphic artists because they are inspired by this and games like it. Starmade and other sandbox games have some of the most resourceful communities, I am confident that people would come up with amazing stuff.
    This.
    In the end it doesn't really matter if Shine publishes the source or not, implements it or not…
    They only have so much time before they HAVE TO implement it or get overrun by a competitor. If Shine doesn't add, this idea is free loot for all competitors too.

And like with all patents, Chinese will copy it and then everything we made either have to be used by us all, or all lose to Chinese competitors.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

I would have to agree, the sounds would need to be on/for the user only ... the very idea of uploading sounds that everyone would hear would no doubt have trolls everywhere drooling

Reaction score

As in Minecraft, why not just give the player the option to turn on/off for sounds? Than you can choose to hear other players sounds or not. :)

I'm pretty sure there is a need for sound design, or at least the ability to put a sound to a specific area on a ship. Ships are pretty dead right now. People want to put life into them, and they will do whatever they can to do that and give their ship the feeling and atmosphere they want to achieve.

Reaction score
    I'd love to make a techno-planet destroying space ship

I'm not sure it would be that big of a problem (although I don't deal on the customer complaint side)

Strictly speaking, there is nothing stopping me from spelling a racial epithet on the side of my ship right now...other than blow back, retaliation, and no desire to do so. Just add it to the user agreement

Reaction score
    I think even with the requirement of admin approval for sounds to be uploaded for others to hear, this would still be nice.

Then you can also have a big ol' library of sounds to pick. (small in terms of capacity, big in terms of numbers/variety)
    (so it doesn't take a while to download first time you go to a server)

Maybe also a quick mute-player-sounds button(changeable by menu, but can be changed quickly by a hotkey) and a pitch/volume limiter?