Texturing and Modding

Reaction score
    Will texture packs ever be supported? If so, will texture packs that are higher definition than the default be supported by default.

And because these subjects are so similar, I also want to ask this: Will modding ever be supported by yourself, because from what I understand, because of how java is, provided you don't obfuscate it, it's currently moddable in it's current state, right? If not, will you be providing the source code, or will something like MCP be required?

Final question, if and when the game becomes moddable, can you add a "Modding" section to the forums?

I personally used to mod minecraft and I plan to mod StarMade if at all possible.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for taking the time to read it!

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The game is programmed in a way that texture packs in any resulution is just a matter of editing the texture image file :), so if you want to mod the texture, you just have to edit the files in StarMade/data/textures/block

The code is obfuscated at the moment. Once StarMade has reached a certain stable point, I'll probably release the deobfuscation map for some of the game code, depending on the game's state. At the moment though, with an alpha version, that isn't very robust, I can't really support modding since the code is going to change on almost saily bases, which would render any effort put in mods completely useless.

But there will definitly be modding in later stages of the game, once the core is in a stable and robust state

Reaction score
    I only have one thing to say:
    ^_^ YAY!!!!! ^_^

Texture packs here I come!

Reaction score
    What about things that change such as generator blocks? Is it just an animated GIF or something like multiple images with a config?

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Blocks like that are grouped in loops in the texture file. Once you take a look at the texture file, it's pretty easy to understand

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know this thread is old but I do have question. Is there a way to add a custom block? I wanted to add a upgraded power block which has slighty more output of power than the normal power block for more credits and more expensive materials to produce. I only seen a way to add blocks with custom textures. Can this be done at the current state of the game? I would love to get into this sort of modding.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    All values will moddable eventually. right now I\'m focusing on the basic support for modding.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So I know I\'ve heard you wont be opening the code up to modding till most of it is done, just hoping that is confirmed. I\'m much more interested to see what your final plans for gameplay are like before all this talk of modding.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    so what you are saying is essientually texture packe are quite doable its just a matter of knowing how, but you are waiting for a more stable code for mod support.

p.s. will you be adding compatabilaty for the curse client

p.p.s. and how about uplinked skins [like say you can upload a set of image files to replace the default astronaught skin] and a atmospheric physics system where your air tanks can run out unless you recharge at an O2 fabricator and only some [earthlike] planets have oxygen and purple planets have a form of corrosive toxin that will erode blocks [except purple {insert applicable word here} stuff] and maybe some form of air risistance [might take some time]

Reaction score
    Kind of a stupid question, but it\'s related here - There is a block editor in the launcher, is it possible to add custom blocks to a server using this? (I.E. I tried to add a wood block, got the textures and everything but I don\'t know how to add it to the server.)

Reaction score
    If you edit the blocks.xml or blocks.cfg or whatever configs in the server files it should work as far as I know. I HAVE COMPLETED MY LIFE AFTER FINDING THIS THREAD.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ok i see you use 3 texture sources:

- t000.png / t001.png / t002.png

now will call that Starmade-default

we can add blocks in .. eg i have added a \"Orange Light\" id (221) using texture for \"white light\" (TextureId 127) the texture pulls from t000.png

now i want to make a custom file t000_c.png the engine would pull the tile from and the in game rendor from , so i can make the graphic orange light and give it shop button ect , all along not messing with default stuffs adding or changing anything that would effect current play on other server ect

Reaction score
    When the game is more stable, will there be the possibility of adding custom planets, maybe with special ores or buildings on it? I know that some planets can spawn with buildings, etc. But I think the ability to edit that and add custom planets or change their spawn rate would be a cool addition.

--Captain James A. Swag of the U.S.S. Applepies

generalBLT13

Scary grrrrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Purchased!
    I have never seen a post on a forum by schema till I saw this one, I almost has a heart attack. But ummm...I\'m learning java and am going to make a jump drive, but to do saw would I need to know how you(schema) programmed other blocks?

Also if I did make one that\'s really awesome could you(schema)maybe add it in?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    One system which would solve the issue would be:

One cubatom costs 1, one 2, one 4, one 8, one 16...

• Each item\'s cost would be rounded to the closest power of 2 + or - another power of 2 and can be created by these two cubatoms.

And a factory system where you choose the input items and their ratio relative to the previous ingredient, but the ingredient=product price is calculated

• (you have as much products as required to make ingredients and product cost about equal)

Would it be possible to set Water and maybe Leaves or some sort of snow ... to be transparent for player-movement by default?

I would like something where you can actually hide an entrance behind or where players can suddently pop out, fire a few shots and hide in some sort of underground-world / labyrinth. If you follow these players, they may pop out behind you - or from other unexpected directions.