Ten items to assist fresh players

Reaction score
    Hi, Awkanic here. My wife and I started playing a few months ago and we have noted down several items which we think could greatly improve the gameplay and user experience. We really enjoyed much of our time in starmade and we think this game has serious potential. Here are ten of our most notable challenges while playing.

The most prominent issue we noticed was rubber banding around planets. It seems as though whenever you hit the magic distance from a planet, and that planet starts to load, the starmade client seems to stop communicating with the server. We have tried this on multiple servers, including local servers, and the behaviour is consistent. The local server also indicates that rotations are not being applied.

As new players, our first stop was a planet which we called home. This meant that fighting pirates and even just returning home from mining was infuriating as once the communication with the server was disrupted, you would have to stop your ship and inch towards the planet at a snails pace to escape the rubber banding orbit of misery. This was exacerbated as the rubber banding would toss you backwards, unloading the part of the planet you just loaded, and creating a near infinite loop.

The second most memorable issue was that mining with a full cargo sends blocks to oblivion with no warning or indication. Both my wife and I, on separate occasions, created a ship from blueprints which, for some reason, no longer had cargo blocks in it. The result was that we mined for a few IRL hours only to find that the cargo from that time was not present. Needless to say, a simple warning stating “Cargo Breach” or something would be lightyears ahead of all that lost time. A notification or special sound when the final block of an entity is mined would also be more satisfying.

Third on our list is the computer direction issue. We get the reasons why the computer direction matters, but the struggle is real when you've created defense turrets which should finally defend you against pirates and none of the cannons are actually firing as you have your cannon computer sideways or backwards. We don't have a good solution here but it feels like the direction of the output block should indicate the direction of fire. The ability to rotate a computer in place without needing to reconnect all of its modules could help too

Fourth, building on moving objects is broken as placed blocks often miss their mark. We would often build big ships together and would have preferred the ability to edit this ship while the other person drives to the next mining spot. Perfect I’d love to be able to tell the AI to fly somewhere while I improved the ship.

Fifth...while building, the pink highlight is very useful until it's in the way. The ability to toggle it on and off would really help ship building with many systems interwoven.

Sixth… star damage shouldn't go from zero to catastrophic with no additional warnings in place. Ideally, shields would overload at a certain distance or some other indicator other than “warning” with a huge no-damage radius.

Seventh, whenever my wife is charging her jump drive or trying to dock with the docking rail, my machine renders her ships using the first item her ship has loaded. This means that while her machine is clearly docking, it looks to me like she's trying to harvest home base or my ship. Even more distribution is when the cannons are the first item on the ship. This makes playing together harder as I can't trust she's doing what it looks like she's doing.

Eighth… when trapped in space or jumping between ships and missing, it would be much nicer if you could target a ship with an AI and tell it to “come to me”. It's bizarre that one may command a robotic fleet but still be left abandoned in space.

Ninth… Adding the ability to lock cargo items to spots, or make it so they don't move when their quantity changes, would make those of us who like to keep organized inventories happy. The fact that one must keep multiple inventories for this purpose feels a bit silly.

Tenth… maneuvering in space and maneuvering as a person should automatically be set up with the same keybindings. If all of the same motions are available… why express those motions differently based on character state? It's much more user friendly to learn one set of controls.

Hopefully you've found this list constructive. Our hope is that some of these items would be addressed allowing more people to experience this awesomeness.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A notification or special sound when the final block of an entity is mined would also be more satisfying.
    I think the nav indicator for the entity disappearing is a pretty obvious sign that the entity ceased to exist, because I'm pretty sure that something salvagable doesn't Jam.
    We don't have a good solution here but it feels like the direction of the output block should indicate the direction of fire.
    I actually disagree with this, because it's more practical in my opinion to only have to care about the rotation of 1 block.

Reaction score
    I think the nav indicator for the entity disappearing is a pretty obvious sign that the entity ceased to exist, because I'm pretty sure that something salvagable doesn't Jam.
    Right but a tracking computer would indicate when a target is lost which would have some indicator. Probably the same indicator as when something your tracking flies too far away.

I actually disagree with this, because it's more practical in my opinion to only have to care about the rotation of 1 block.
    That makes perfect sense; I agree. As I mentioned, I don't have a good solution to this one. Perhaps an indicator which warns you of what direction your cannons/salvage lasers are shooting when they're not firing somewhere you can see would go a very long way here. Until my wife and I figured this nuance out, we couldn't properly build ships, and whether a ship would work or not seemed random. Whenever that's the case, it means new users/players are suffering.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    This information is always very useful - even if we're aware of it and have heard it before. We definitely will be addressing a lot of these, if not all of them.

Thanks! :)

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We definitely will be addressing a lot of these, if not all of them.
    I just thought of this now, but wasn't issue number 10 introduced back when the default controls were changed? I asume the problem is q/e being for vertical movement as astronaut and rotation as ship with default controls. So would fixing this issue result in reverting changes made a while ago?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I just thought of this now, but wasn't issue number 10 introduced back when the default controls were changed? I asume the problem is q/e being for vertical movement as astronaut and rotation as ship with default controls. So would fixing this issue result in reverting changes made a while ago?
    Off the top of my head, yes. Changing them isn't necessarily the answer (if there is something that needs to be addressed in the first place).

Personally, I don't think basic controls for ships and astronauts should be different. However, I can't remember the reasoning for that particular key choice. So, perhaps my opinion would change. Lancake would know.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Off the top of my head, yes. Changing them isn't necessarily the answer (if there is something that needs to be addressed in the first place).

Personally, I don't think basic controls for ships and astronauts should be different. However, I can't remember the reasoning for that particular key choice. So, perhaps my opinion would change. Lancake would know.
    We didn't actually have ship rotation keys back in 2012/2013, up and down for ships was set to Q and E just like for astronauts.
    When we did get ship rotation keys, setting those on Q and E made a lot more sense.

It looks to me that we never thought of changing the astronauts strafe up/down keys as we were used to it at that point. I can't think of any good reason why it would be like this.
    [doublepost=1505401461,1505400829][/doublepost]
    Fifth...while building, the pink highlight is very useful until it's in the way. The ability to toggle it on and off would really help ship building with many systems interwoven.
    You should already be able to do this, the option to toggle this is under the Display section of your advanced build mode panel. Toggle "Connection Box" to disable/enable the purple outline.

Thanks for the list, a few of those should be relatively easy to resolve.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I honestly don't care much for defa
    We didn't actually have ship rotation keys back in 2012/2013, up and down for ships was set to Q and E just like for astronauts.
    Pretty sure the rotation used to be Z and X

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I honestly don't care much for defa

Pretty sure the rotation used to be Z and X
    Not in 2012/2013, as those keys didn't exist.
    Later on, it was Z and X but those always felt awkward to me, you could break your hand if you tried to roll and move your ship at the same time.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Later on, it was Z and X but those always felt awkward to me, you could break your hand if you tried to roll and move your ship at the same time.
    Do you know how confusing that setup is with a qwertz keyboard? I'm not saying the old keys for rolling were better and was a bit confused because it came accross as if rolling ws always done with Q/E, thanks for the clarification.

Reaction score
    post trimmed for length, such a hypocrite I am.
    Hopefully you've found this list constructive.

I'm going to go through these in order, because they all deserve answers, and because sometimes I just need to crystallize my own thoughts by writing them down.
    And allso, to mock the devs for some of the general incompetence they have repeatedly displayed.

#1. This really, really sounds like an issue of your computer violently disagreeing with the game's shitty beyond belief net-code. (I've had computers that do this, so I know that it isn't allways a matter of "outdated hardware")

Part of the problem is that the server does, in fact, stop responding when it's busy loading in a vast quantity of blocks. Planets quite neatly exceed the number of blocks for "unresponsive loading" on the vanilla settings, and the two settings for planets are both un-intuitive, and buried in a configuration file, instead of being accessible through the in-game settings.

And/or that your hardware is much closer towards the minimum requirements than you're thinking it is. (the game has some really, really bloated requirements, and it's only going to get worse for the next few years)

#2. Actually, it doesn't obliterate the minerals.

What happens is, it tries to send them to the cargo, the cargo is full, so it ejects them into space.
    Free-floating inventory items have a lifetime of about 5 minutes, if I recall the vanilla settings correctly.
    (and the setting is only changeable via configuration file, instead of via the in-game menus where it should be)

If you recognize it, you can often jump back to base, grab another ship, go back to where you were mining and pick up all the loose ore. This is, however, extremely un-desireable.

I agree that it shouldn't even try to mine if the attached cargo is full, and that there really ought to be an audio warning of full cargo.
    (not that we're likely to get one, the only sounds currently in the game are: Laser-pistol fired, Cannon fired, Missile fired, Cannon Hit, Missile Hit, and the "hum" of a ship-core. The devs claim to be "working on it", but I've long since lost hope in StarMade ever getting new sounds.)

#3. A: Agreed, with a caveat: The computer's direction shouldn't matter unless a dedicated output block has not been set. (to set one, use one of the barrels. [default key is R])

IF an output block has been set, then that should be added to the ship/station/planet/asteroid's metadata and saved, so that the inevitable damage to the weapon doesn't totally screw-up where it's shooting.

B: Yeah, being able to simply rotate the block in-situ would be a godsend, but I doubt the shifty-eyed cat-god of StarMade will be that nice to us.

#4. Oh god is it ever broken, I'm not all that certain on why, but I can guess it's related to the net-code being utter garbage.

#5.
    Awakanik said:
    while building, the pink highlight is very useful until it's in the way. The ability to toggle it on and off would really help ship building with many systems interwoven.
    You should already be able to do this, the option to toggle this is under the Display section of your advanced build mode panel. Toggle "Connection Box" to disable/enable the purple outline.
    Lancake, that's crap and you know it. For clarity, it is not a matter of said "control" not working.
    We the non 1% builders have been needing that to be a bindable, keyboard-based toggle for quite a long time now, and it is a stunningly simple quality-of-life change.

(not that the 1%ers couldn't benefit from it too, but they've gotten that good without it, so clearly they don't need it like the rest of us do)

The situation he is outlining occurs often during a build, and far more often during a re-build, sometimes as often as, and feel free to re-use this "every ten blocks".
    Are you truly suggesting we halt the creative process, enter a menu (conveniently buried in another menu) just to toggle an option that would be better off as a literal toggle-button anyway?

Moving on before I stroke out at just how mindbogglingly stupid some of your(/the dev responsible) user interface decisions have been.

#6. Agreed, it absolutely needs a vastly larger warning zone than what we have.

It allso needs the "heat shielding" we were promised would be made available in the update after they introduced Star Damage. We are now quite overdue for those heatshields.

Furthermore, Star Damage needs to quit being based upon "remaining mass of vessel to be damaged".
    Or, at the very least invert the polarity, bigger ships actually would have the bulk to survive the first few hits better than the ultralight craft that semi-routinely fly through without being damaged at all.

As it currently stands, a StarMade ship the size of a Fletcher-class Destroyer, flying through a sun, takes so much damage on the first hit, that it is then unable to exit the sun in any manner.

Meanwhile, another StarMade ship, the size of, say, a UH-6 Huey, flying at the same m/s speed as he previous Fletcher, flies on through with literally cosmetic damage, if that.

#7. This is a known bug, and it is not cosmetic. (can you tell that I'm sick of people claiming it is? no, I don't blame you, I'm blaming the testers who should know better than to test this vs an invincible homebase) What is happening is the game looses it's bloody mind, and is quite literally firing whatever happens to be in hotbar slot 1, at wherever the player is aiming. (Root cause: beause the net-code is utter garbage, as I may have mentioned earlier)

Put a big missile launcher in slot 1, then fire a docker in slot 2 at not-homebased target. Watch as the target takes damage from the missile strike.

#8. I like this, I like it a lot. I can only hope this makes it into the (supposedly) upcoming (how long from now?) Fleet Update #2.

#9. Agreed, that seems to be another decent quality-of-life upgrade.

#10. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! This is only about the 8th time this has been brought up, and a dev has finally admitted "that was a simple oversight", which at least 3 of the other threads talking about it assumed it was!!

This one is the highlight of that incompetence I've been mocking for months now, (typically on other forums) and for good reason.

This is but one example of the devs, in part or in whole, failing to pay attention to concerns raised by the existing userbase of these very forums. Only when a new user includes it in a list does it finally get the attention it's been needing.

Exactly how often does the StarMade Dock get new users? Let alone ones that file this sort of "things I/we think the game could use" ?[/FONT][/quote]

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    4 and 8 YES please ! Very wished for suggestions/ideas...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd like to add one more. Under the fleet menu, where you tell the fleet to do something in a sector, add a "HERE" button that loads the sector I'm located as the target sector.