Temporary alignment upon undocking

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    TL;DR: After being undocked a entity should remain aligned/attached to the parent entity until it exits the parents bounding box.

Currently upon undocking there is the potential for all sorts of collision shenanigans, hopefully with alignment/attachment post docking this can be reduced.
    This would be especially helpful for drones, fighters/docking bays, internal generators, general rail stuff and could prevent all sorts of collision nastiness during combat.

It won't cover every case (eg manual undocking and turning/thrusting into parent), but if it could be implemented it would help a lot

Reaction score
    Or just fix collisions altogether by applying the rail docking physics to everything.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Or just fix collisions altogether by applying the rail docking physics to everything.
    Cons:

Massive performace drops server side and client side 60 player servers already fucked
    Massive amounts of bug reports on day one
    Massive unneeded network stress
    Massive unneeded CPU usage
    And finally since the game server side only uses 1 core this is made 100% worse

Suggestions must take into account how much it hits to have something like this done

Reaction score
    Cons:

Massive performace drops server side and client side 60 player servers already fucked
    Massive amounts of bug reports on day one
    Massive unneeded network stress
    Massive unneeded CPU usage
    And finally since the game server side only uses 1 core this is made 100% worse

Suggestions must take into account how much it hits to have something like this done
    Except it isn't nearly as intensive as you think it is.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Except it isn't nearly as intensive as you think it is.
    Really m8?

Go make starmade 2.0 and report back on how intensive the game can be.

I don't mean a shitty unity game either.

I've been playing for 2 years i've seen shit you won't believe and let me tell you Single player might be a walk in the park but hosting a server with more then 15 people is hell just plain hell.

Reaction score
    Really m8?

I've been playing for 2 years i've seen shit you won't believe and let me tell you Single player might be a walk in the park but hosting a server with more then 15 people is hell just plain hell.
    Get off your mighty high horse. This forum is for discussing ideas not raging on ideas. Make your point and move on.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Get off your mighty high horse. This forum is for discussing ideas not raging on ideas. Make your point and move on.
    I have you know "sir" That I happen to be a majestic unicorn and thus I am entitled to break your arms.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well rather than arguing, my basic understanding is that entities that are 'attached' have much reduced physics overheads in comparison to free floating entities.
    Additionally the children are syncronised to the parents movement, which can prevent things like doors flapping around in the breeze or a stray drone or generator bouncing around your insides.
    heck it would be brilliant for when turrets get popped, as you dont need to worry about playing dust simulator 2015.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well rather than arguing, my basic understanding is that entities that are 'attached' have much reduced physics overheads in comparison to free floating entities.
    Additionally the children are syncronised to the parents movement, which can prevent things like doors flapping around in the breeze or a stray drone or generator bouncing around your insides.
    heck it would be brilliant for when turrets get popped, as you dont need to worry about playing dust simulator 2015.

That'd be nice very nice indeed.

Reaction score
    Really m8?

All that rail docking does is calculate the physics before any collision occours. If done correctly its literally just a decent physics engine like hundreds of other games use. Its pretty well known that collisions are straight up broken and shouldn't lag the server NEARLY as much as they do now. If they were switched it would be less intensive over a longer period of time while not being utterly broken as hell.