Templates not rotating the way I want them to. How do I get the templates to rotate on different axis'?

Reaction score
    Hi, I just started starmade and am building templates of the rooms I want. The templates always rotate in a direction that I don't like. Is there a way to set a specific rotation for a template? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Do you mean, when you wanna place the template and have to rotate it, so the walls are pointing in the right direction?
    Normal: Rotating around the y-axis
    Holding "CTRL": Rotating around the x-axis
    Holding "SHIFT": Rotating around the z-axis

If you mean the defaut orientation:
    you always copy the structure so you have to place the template from the lower right corner in the back

Reaction score
    Huh... Doesn't seem to work. Is there a specific side (Left Shift or Right shift) or another key because it always rotates around the Y axis for me...

Reaction score
    Nevermind, I just switched my advanced buildmode to numpad 1, and it works... Guess I was holding CTRL to access adv. build mode so it was always rotating around the X axis...

Reactions: Agame3

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Normally, when you have a template loaded and ready to paste, it will rotate on the Z (Length/Width) axis of your build without the need to hold a key. Holding the control key will make it rotate on the Y (Width/Height) axis.

Preparation at the "copy" stage may be needed with your templates since 99% of the time, they are offset in such a way why you can't paste them in the desired location without first building out to that area with extra blocks and then deleting them afterward.

Definitely not an intuitive process but it gets easier over time.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Another bit of info: Slabs sometimes get their rotation messed up when rotating templates, my experience is that it happens only when rotating around the z-axis, however, others told me that they encountered the problem only when rotating around the x-axis

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    To expand on MeRobo 's info;

Certain decorative items such as metal bars (corner type) light bars (corner type) and triangular grates will not mirror correctly on the Y (Width/Height) axis when pasting them as part of a template or placing manually. You may also experience issues with this when you paste a saved "pre-mirrored" template containing these blocks if you have the YZ (red) symmetry turned on.

It can be a royal pain to fix on complex builds as it involves turning off symmetry and replacing each of the improperly aligned blocks manually.