Teloporters - Beam Me Up Scotty

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    SO I was thinking about "beaming" onto ships, stations and planets. I think I may have come up with a system that would allow players to teleport between locations.

We would need 2 blocks. the Teleport Block and the Teleport Computer.

How it would work:

The player would build an area to stand on out of Teleport blocks. Which would be connected to a Teleport Computer. The computer could be configured with A name (which the player can type in) and who can teleport to and from it. Each category would have check boxes to determine the permissions of who can use ether function. The options would be: Faction, Allies, Neutral's, Enemy's, Owner(person that currently owns the ship). IF none are checked then no one can use the functions.

After its configured, and linked to the Teleport block platform, A player can press a button (something you can set under your controls) and it will bring up the teleport menu listing ALL the teleport computers within a certain range. The range is up for discussion. I think the current sector the ship is in should be as far as the TP should work. You then select the destination and teleport to the pad that is linked to the computer you chose, IF you have permissions to do so.

This would allow players to setup teleport bays on stations, ships planets, maybe even asteroids. I think it could be a fun feature. You could also setup multiple teleport locations on your own ship to fast travel to your docking bay from your bridge. Players could then get from their battleships to friendly stations and planets with ease even if they can't dock their ship directly to the place they want to visit. This way you would also not need to have a small transport ship just to get into your base. They still would be needed if you wanted to check out an unexplored planet though.

EDIT: Quick thoughts. The teleporters should use Power to do its job but I have no idea how much power it should use. When the player Teleports somewhere they should automatically be placed into the gravity of the object. This would avoid TPing to your friends ship while they are moving and then having a hard time because of it.

What does the community think? I would like as much constructive feedback as you all can give.

Last edited:
    Reactions: NeonSturm

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Here is how it should work in my opinion

You place transporter block. The more there are touching in a 1 tall plate determines what you can transport. If you can get a ship on there, by all means teleport it. A single block would transport a person.

You link it to a computer. This computer must be visible somewhere so that you can access it in astronaut mode (reason to have interiors). When you want to transport, you open a window through the computer. You are presented with a navigation menu style screen, but it only lists entities within transporter range that also have working transporters.

To beam over to an enemy or neutral ship/station/planet, their shields must be down (add a button to lower shields for god sake) or they can open their transporter computer and set it to allow anyone to beam over.

Once you have selected a destination, you press engage in the menu, it closes and you run over to your transporter pad. After a 5 second charge up time (the time to let you run over to the pad), it will start to transport whatever is on the pad. If any of the criteria for transportaion (i.e range, shield status, permission status) change during transportation, or the pad is too small, the thing being sent will be lost for ever with no way of getting it back, if it is a player, they die.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it would be good to reuse area logic blocks (the kind that are invisible outside of build mode) to define the area of teleport. That way, you don't need any new blocks for determining teleport size, and you can teleport floating players and blocks without needing gravity. Block count and dimension size could be added up for an energy multiplier, so even if you want to teleport a single player, the size of the teleport system will determine the energy usage. And maybe the number of blocks teleported (including 2 for each player) will add to an instantaneous energy draw on top of the teleport system energy requirements.

Energy usage example 1:
    You have a simple personnel teleporter with a teleport block base, two area logic blocks, and a teleport computer, for a total of 4 blocks, plus the area of the teleport block base plus the two logic blocks above it, creating a multiplier of 4 blocks plus an area of 3 = 7, multiplied by some energy cost, plus the computer. Let's say the energy cost is a mere 1 e/s. So you have a constant energy draw of 8 e/s. Then you teleport Crewman #6 to the planet below, to be promptly killed by a lava monster. Since Crewman #6 is two blocks in size, that is 2e for that moment, on top of the regular draw of 8 e/s from the teleporter for a total draw of 10 e for that second, then after the teleport is done, the energy draw drops back down to 8 e/s.

Energy usage example 2:
    You have a large cargo teleport unit with a 20x40 teleport block base, and a 20x40x10 teleport area above it, plus a teleport computer, yielding a block count of 20x11x40 = 8800 + 1 = 8801. The size of the system without the computer is 20x11x40 = 8800. Adding them together yields a constant energy draw of 17601 e/s. (Quite a jump from 8!) Then you teleport crewman #6, a 3x3x3 destruction bomb, and a 2x2x2 peace offering to the planet below to negotiate with the lava monster. That's (1x2x1) + (3x3x3) + (2x2x2) = 37 e. The energy draw for that second of teleport is 17638, and then when teleport is done, the energy draw drops back down to 17601.

Energy usage example 3:
    Let's say you have that large 20x40 cargo teleport unit again. This time, you are teleporting the full volume as a cargo pod over to another ship. The temporary energy draw for that cargo pod is 20x40x10 = 8000. So the total energy draw for that second is 25601, and then after the teleport, the energy draw droops back down to 17601 e/s.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why not making a HoloDeck Bkock, wher you can build a Room of and everytime you go in, you can use the Computer
    and your in a Virtual World, where you can build Cobblestone Houses???

siriusly!?
    Pls let the devs first smooth the gameplay and fix all the main bugs and servercrashes. and than think about new things like Teleporters and stuff
    Good ideas anyways.

Greez BiGEdge

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Why not making a HoloDeck Bkock, wher you can build a Room of and everytime you go in, you can use the Computer

siriusly!?
    Pls let the devs first smooth the gameplay and fix all the main bugs and servercrashes. and than think about new things like Teleporters and stuff
    Good ideas anyways.

Greez BiGEdge
    ...He's just making a suggestion, no need to bitch him out for it.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor

siriusly!?
    Good ideas anyways.

Greez BiGEdge
    Schema has before expressed a desire to have teleportation in the game, so why not make suggestions?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I dont want to bitch anyone out...
    Just to tell my opinion.

All good ideas for features in the game, but and thats a big but, personally i dont need more features for a longer time
    till the most bugs get fixed and the game is more stable

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    1. Has been pitched

2. Has had "Being planned" attached to it

3. Threads die

4. New thread about same topic appears

5. Restart at 2.

Reaction score
    I would use player teleporters..

but what I really want is to be able to hijack teleport signals and have people teleport to random locations, or on to my ship or maybe even evil prison... MAHAHAH!!!

I will start a teleport war! it will be random, and strategic!

Reaction score
    No! I cannot state just how against teleportation I am. No, no, no.

Just, no.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No! I cannot state just how against teleportation I am. No, no, no.

Just, no.
    Why are you against teleportation? It will be fun to teleport from ship to ship, or from station to ship and vice versa. And like @therimmer96 said: it will be very close range, possibly only one sector. I don't see how that could do any harm.

Reaction score
    Why are you against teleportation? It will be fun to teleport from ship to ship, or from station to ship and vice versa. And like @therimmer96 said: it will be very close range, possibly only one sector. I don't see how that could do any harm.
    Well, I do. Okay? I'm against cheaty things. Look, the ability to instantly get from one place to another is cheating, much like the jump drive. I wish the jump drive would make you go super-fast instead.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well, I do. Okay? I'm against cheaty things. Look, the ability to instantly get from one place to another is cheating, much like the jump drive. I wish the jump drive would make you go super-fast instead.
    Cheating?

It would
    1. provide a reason to have rooms (you have to be against completely solid ships)
    2. promote usage of astronaut mode
    3. provide a way to board ships in battles
    I don't see how it would be cheating, same with the jump drive. could you clarify?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The boarding aspect would be interseting. I'm hoping that if we get teleportation we'll need a 3x3 ground area with teleporters and at least 3 empty spaces above that to not let the player die instantly. If that is so, and we have hacking abilities, someone could enter a ship, hack its teleporter and teleport an entire army in. Now that would be cool!

Please keep in mind that it will be close range. You won't be able to teleport someone from the other side of the universe to your location. The ship with the army will have to be close, Meaning that it will be under fire while all that takes place.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Player.position = Player.position
    - Player.entity.position + DestinationEntity.position
    - Controller.orientation + DestinationController.orientation

Step-Ons could trigger. Area-Trigger controllers could be step-ons at the same time. Infinite possibilities.

Reaction score
    that can be really cool, for moving on a single big ship, but also for an easy beam right in an ally ship, station, why not planet, depending of the range. assuming that you have permission for both teleporters.