• ME WANT ALIEN TECH!@#!#!@#$%

Votes: 3 17.6%
    • this is soo dumb

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have no idea how this would be balanced but it sounds like a good idea.

Have technology. at the beginning, players would have low knowledge, knowing a set of blocks, for example, the current set. Then players can destroy more advanced ships finding new blocks and reverse engineering those block to find new technology. they would not see the names of those blocks at first, they would just be [unknown] to the new player but people who already know about it would see them as different blocks.

shops would be able to sell all blocks but only the blocks that are known by the player show up.
    players can share technology but that will take up resources

You may ask, if i have a low tech ship and I found a new technology, do i have to rebuild my ship. No, there should be a upgrade button, it will take all the new tech in your inventory and place it on your ship.

How may you find technology if there is no ships to destroy? research. This will take much more time than reverse engineering, this will give random items in the next tier. starter is the 0 tier, then research will give random blocks in the 1 tier. each block may take 30 minutes to find with researching.

but when you destroy a highest tier ship, reverse engineering it may take as much time as researching a normal block. when reverse engineering a low level ship ex: tier 1, it would take a short amount of time. but doing it with higher tiers would take longer.

when you add alien races into the mix, different races may have different blocks, buffs, and debuffs. But that's a idea that is too complicated.

Reactions: Ithirahad

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I voted no. Reasons:
    1. Block ID count. We can't really put different-tiered blocks into the game, because we're currently on a very tight Block ID budget.
    2. If the Block buffs/nerfs were added to each player and faction instead, that's a lot of data. And then you have a lot of spy/cheat options that need to be accounted for.
    3. Players will inevitably want each block to have its own tech level, to avoid mass-upgrade exploits.

All this should be replaced with an admin mod (looking forward to a proper game API!) not in the vanilla game, where the admin universally upgrades blocks over time. Maybe this would be a great mod to incorporate a research mod, to accelerate upgrades. Mod not in the vanilla game, so that the vanilla game has a baseline performance level for blueprints. As tech progresses, different blocks will probably end up with different levels of effects or different stacking layers. (linear vs. logarithmic progression), making different ship builds more or less desirable at different tech levels.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    1. Block ID count. We can't really put different-tiered blocks into the game, because we're currently on a very tight Block ID budget.
    we can still have low block counts, we can do what minecraft does, the block id would be the same but the tiers would be like sub block numbers. for example, power, has an id of 2, we can have default be 2:0 or just 2, higher tiers would be 2:1, 2:2, 2:3, 2:4, 2:5 something like that.

i also don't agree with the admins should have control. they should only have control over the starting tech and the ending tech. Just like the real universe, tech can be spread around, but as time progresses technology becomes more advanced, and some races might have less advanced tech and some may have tech to blow up everything.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I like the idea of having to research newer blocks.
    Also, bump.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Starmade already has a built in progression system- You, the player, learn more about optimizing systems, high level systems such as docked reactors, drones, and chaff, and armor placement as you play the game. There's no need for an artificial tech tree system.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    We already have tech! docked reactors for power and shields, more efficient armor layouts and so much more.