Targeting Computers and FTL Sensors

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    This is a concept I came up with that wouldn't really come into play until weapons ranges are increased, but it is something we that needs to be considered.

What I am proposing is a targeting computer that you can link to your cannons. That calculates how much you need to lead your target.
    FTL sensor would allow you to detect ships out of visual range. And if you were to link a targeting computer to the FTL sensor it would give you a targeting solution even though you cant see the target.

This idea I believe would allow us to build true sniper ships.

Reaction score
    I partially like this. But I think the jumpdrives in game are similar to the X series' Jumpdrive, which is practically a wormhole generator for ships (I assume this since whenever I activate it, I go thru planets and stuff), rather than a warpdrive, which would collide and wreck the warping ship and whatever it collides with. Probably make it so you can lock on to the jumping ship's final destination while it is in mid-jump to said destination.
    Really love the lead indicator idea, though, as that isn't new tech and makes sense to keep it as opposed to other sci-fi games that get rid of lead indicators because "it's not sci-fi, balanced, nor realistic".

I don't think a Bobby AI would need a lead indicator, since it's a computer, but perhaps maybe crew personal once they become an alternative to Bobby AIs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I don't think you quit understand. In space you will see a ship visually before you see it on radar. Thus if you want to detect a ship beyond our current sensor ranges you are going to need FTL sensors. In other words you need a sensor that can bypass the light barrier.
    Also the targeting computer wouldn't be for the AI it would be for the pilot.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    From the way it was worded, I assumed you meant shooting it while it was in mid-Jump to a point. And the whole "AI not needing a lead indicator" was an attempt at heading people off from saying "All this does is just encourage gigantism by making more blocks need for my ship's turrets! No fair!" . My apologies if it sounded like I was a bit hostile to your suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Lead indicators really wouldn't work very well for large ships since the weapons are generally offset a lot from the camera. It would only really come into play using a fighter or a turret. I'm all for it, it would remind my a lot of descent freespace.

As for "long range sensors" (let's not call them FTL that's confusing) It would have to give you only basic information on the target. Perhaps size, faction, and vector, maybe jump nodes would appear further out giving you the opportunity to track your target. Other information would have to be deduced with close or mid-range sensors.[DOUBLEPOST=1412620162,1412619804][/DOUBLEPOST]FTL jump tracking: You ship registers a jump 8 sectors away at the exact moment your enemy jumps out. You charge your drive just in time to see your enemy making another jump, which also registers on your sensors. You saw his final vector before his jump, so you match the vector as you charge your jump drive and put the destination in the navigation computer. Your jump drive is slightly faster, so your next jump, you have a little more time to fire at him before his next jump, stopping it.

OR, the vector of the smaller ship was so extreme that you couldn't match it before your jump, and when you arrive at his jump point, he's a full sector away. When he jumps out, his destination does not register, so you make an educated guess. you manage to get back within sensor range on your next jump, but he's 3 sectors out this time. When he jumps, you have no idea where he went. You lost him.

Reaction score
    A Targeting computer idea sounds nice, and because of how Starmade works (left clicking means the weapons will fire towards the point your targetting system is over) would mean that the ship could also work as a sniping ship with whatever weapon it is using. In the context of a ship devoted to being able to snipe, someone might typically have a camera slightly above the weapon they're using, meaning a targeting computer won't be too heavily affected. A complicated system for this computer would be the camera compared to the cursor, so the firing reticule needs to be in this spot for a shot to hit the ship that is going in this direction, at this speed, and at this mass, instead of: Line up your shot to this somehow.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    one of my favorite sim shooters of all time.. I just wish I hadn't played in "air mode" that whole time and instead switched it to realistic physics, but I was like 12, so, what do ya do?