T1 Scavenger, T2 Civilian, T3 Military, T4 rare/unique Artifacts.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like scavenger-parts vs civilian-parts vs military-parts vs artefacts/rare-parts...
    • You would use artefacts in very save locations on your ship and with much thoughts if you need it on that ship, because of very limited supply.
    • You would outfit military only in the protected centre of your ship, only elite-ships have a full outfit with these.
    • civilian parts are often used in the hull of military ships to catch stray shots and protect the more vulnerable.
    Scavenger-parts are the least efficient and used in vulnerable exterior locations of poor man ships, for quick fixes after a combat before you get to repair your ship or by pirates when they not find better equipment with this particular function.

With this you could go for either elite ships or big ships, but not both. You would always try to get better, but take very long to reach a fully equipped ship.

If we just get this as an option for power, thrust and shields, it would improve the game greatly.
    As for weapons, there only needs to be military and rare, as we have just 5 additional blocks instead of 15 then.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    While I agree with have artifacts, I'm not such a huge fan of different grades of material.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    +1; I, for one, am a fan of tiers. However, rather than "Scavenger" and "Civilian" being base tiers, "Scavenger" should be base tier -1, current weapons should be base tier ("Basic" or "Civilian" depending on the item), and up from there there could be, maybe, 4 tiers of rarity - Mark II, Mark III, Rare, and (if it even counts as a tier) Unique Items, which might be produced slowly by irreplacable, immovable special factories on planets.

Side-suggestion relatedto Shipyards, as seen in the "Space Ducks...er, Space Docks" topic:

Shipyards/Spacedocks/SpaceDucks would by default create starships using current-power-level items, but you could place higher-mark or special items inside the Shipyard Block's inventory and it will automatically replace them. Stats between different-tier itemswill simply average out if they're put inside one module, and if a blueprint contains unique-only items that can't be produced other ways, then the Shipyard will simply skip over them as it builds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I actually think a scavenger tier might be a good idea. After all, you can get enough materials to make an ubership just from Isanth parts. However, if all parts removed from overheating ships or removed after the overheat was paused would be "scavenged" components and could either be repaired (at a 4:1 ratio) or simply used for inferior performance.

I'm not such a fan of making components with improved performance. After all, making a ship better should require skill, not just fancier components. Artifacts I favor because they would be rare, and therefore not the automatic go-to for any shipbuilder seeking to improve performance.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm not such a fan of making components with improved performance. After all, making a ship better should require skill, not just fancier components. Artifacts I favor because they would be rare, and therefore not the automatic go-to for any shipbuilder seeking to improve performance.
    I think I didn't made my point clear enough.

Higher tier = more cost for little more efficiency (as in efficiency:cost = 2:2, 3:6, 4:18, 5:45 for the tiers)
    • It should be a way to use scavenger/civilian-efficiency to wall in your more mass-efficient valuable parts.

Maybe there could be very energy hungry weapons, so you only need a computer and 2-3 blocks and 2-3 shields from military tier for each 300 scavenger/civilian blocks (thrust, hull, power, auxiliary) - more would cause a too huge energy drain anyway.

We already have 2 hull tiers and this would differentiate between "made of crap" and "costly high-performance investment", not actually used as tier-system for research.
    Wanna have a high-performance ship? You will lose a lot more (not linearly) value if you make everything out of the best materials and it dies.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I think I didn't made my point clear enough.

Higher tier = more cost for little more efficiency (as in efficiency:cost = 2:2, 3:6, 4:18, 5:45 for the tiers)
    That is a horrid ratio idea... why get the better stuff? A better one would be:
    2:2, 3:4, 4:6, 5:8
    or
    1:.5, 2:1, 3:2, 4:4, 5:8

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That is a horrid ratio idea... why get the better stuff? A better one would be:
    2:2, 3:4, 4:6, 5:8 or 1:.5, 2:1, 3:2, 4:4, 5:8
    Imagine civilian power and civilian thrusters are like our current with efficiency:cost = 2:2, 3:6, 4:18, 5:45 for the tiers
    • If you have only scavenger parts, you would have 67% thrust (for same consumption) and power (after the 1 mille limit!) per array
    • Rare parts only, would give 167% thrust:power and power

Is that not a difference huge enough?

Thinking about the stats, maybe it would be better with efficiency = 2, 4, 5, 6 with 4 or 5 being like current, maybe even closer (2/3, 5, 6, 7)
    Else rare bombers will get almost never hit or survive for extended periods of time in a capitals laser-fire, while civilian-ship pilots will cry about lost instant-acceleration/deceleration​

I think another important point in this thread is, that it will give you the ability to boost or make your ship cheaper without changing the configuration of blocks.
    While buying the blueprint, only put that much rare or military parts in your inventory as you want to spend and infinite of the default. They will get distributed equally per type with more expensive parts in the middle, not that close to your core.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Imagine civilian power and civilian thrusters are like our current with efficiency:cost = 2:2, 3:6, 4:18, 5:45 for the tiers
    • If you have only scavenger parts, you would have 67% thrust (for same consumption) and power (after the 1 mille limit!) per array
    • Rare parts only, would give 167% thrust: power and power
    The main beef I had was the cost :P

Reaction score
    hmmm i dont like the idea of different tiers, because your ships strength should depend on how good you construct not on how long you are playing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    hmmm i dont like the idea of different tiers, because your ships strength should depend on how good you construct not on how long you are playing.
    You have no idea how to make a good game do you...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    T0-anything in a ship that has overheated. 75% performance. Can be improved to T1
    T1-what we have now, except hardened hull. 100% performance
    T2-hardened hull, things that cost about 50% more and give 25% better performance. Can be bought/crafted normally from T1 items/directly
    T3-things that cost 2x as much and give 60-70% better performance. Can only be crafted with rare items (hard to find in shops, rarely appear in loot stack)

All ships can be upgraded in a shipyard (blocks are swapped out for the upgraded version if you have them)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm not a big supporter of adding static tiers to Starmade but the "build with what you have an upgrade later" option is very interesting. If we just got a new reactor or a new gun that was just better everybody would just build every ship using the highest quality block available rendering tiers useless. Once a proper economy and shipyards are added and if the tiers are not separate blocks so you don't need to build specific ships to utilize them then the idea sounds a lot better.

I don't think ships that are overheating should automatically convert all modules to T1, Looting ships to find rare components would be great.

Reactions: NeonSturm