Votes: 10 50.0%
    • no

Votes: 3 15.0%
    • been suggested beore

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think each system with a star should have ai population. The population depends on the number of planets are in the system. If you know system the ai should give your faction some credits as tax. The ai should automatically gather resources for you. The amount of resources they gather for you should depend on the population and amount of asteroid belts in the system .
    The location of the asteroids belts should determent what type of resources you receive from the system.
    This is just a idea and can you tell what you think of this idea. If you have a idea to improve it can you post it below.
    Edit: In single player you should get resources every 10 minutes of playing. In MP it should gave your faction resources every hour if one of your alliance members have been online in the past 48 hours just like the faction points.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Sorry, Sleipnir wasn't playing nice with the forum xD
    Tbh, it sounds a little too much like an RTS feature. NPCs per system are a good idea, but I'm not sure factions should be that prevalent. Moreover, this could be solved much more subtly via careful balancing of existing ore generation + optional respawning asteroids.
    ~le shrug~
    Just my opinion, though :)

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I would go a bit further, giving unique system buffs (yes, I know, RTS) but that would just be me. This sounds like a great opportunity for a mod

Reactions: Unnamed25

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this sounds like a lot of fun and would go well with my idea to have players spawn in different random galaxies across the universe, so that the initial spawn point (2,2,2?) doesn't get overpopulated, and so that griefers can't necessarily spawn-kill the same player over and over again.

Reactions: AssIn9 and SapioiT
    Reaction score
    I think this sounds like a lot of fun and would go well with my idea to have players spawn in different random galaxies across the universe, so that the initial spawn point (2,2,2?) doesn't get overpopulated, and so that griefers can't necessarily spawn-kill the same player over and over again.
    And, also, the players would not spawn every time at the initial spawn, just the first time.
    However, if the shop is in the range of a faction and the player to respawn is not part of that faction, it should skip that shop and re-randomly choose another shop to respawn the player not linked to an undeatinator.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I think as it is a community makes certain systems worth having based on the fact they have a base there. i am against factions having only one base. any faction worth the title should have several bases. being beaten back to their home base and that base being invulnerable makes sense. so they can spread back out into new areas or even take the time to relocate to a new home. the issue is most people make a base and turtle.that's it. nothing worth fighting for.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    At one point I thought perhaps controlling planets (and thus the systems that contain them) could give passive resource gains via structures built on said planets called "mantle extractors". The idea being that you can cut out some of the boring mining process by owning systems. You would also need to protect these structures since they'd be largely non-home based from undesirables.

In a multiplayer perspective this means player contact and conflict over planet rich systems encouraging their interaction rather than the solitary (and rather boring) act of mining might make the game more fun. It means that a faction needs multiple bases and if you do not own a system then that disallows the construction of them (as a config option.)

Of course if you want to avoid the heat then you can go to a system with higher FP costs and less planets, no one will bother you, but its not as profitable.

Reactions: combat_wombat

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    People have been suggesting this since the days of the old forums. However, basically enslaving the natives is not the way I wanted that to go. I would much prefer randomly generated NPC factions that fight, ally, and trade with you and other factions.

Also, one every star system is WAY too common. Why would you fight over systems if every one has NPCs? They'd need to be more rare.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Meh... I kinda like this but IMO factions should have to pay a very small amount of faction points or credits to the AI people in exchange for the resources. Regardless, though, I think there are better solutions.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    At one point I thought perhaps controlling planets (and thus the systems that contain them) could give passive resource gains via structures built on said planets called "mantle extractors". The idea being that you can cut out some of the boring mining process by owning systems. You would also need to protect these structures since they'd be largely non-home based from undesirables.

In a multiplayer perspective this means player contact and conflict over planet rich systems encouraging their interaction rather than the solitary (and rather boring) act of mining might make the game more fun. It means that a faction needs multiple bases and if you do not own a system then that disallows the construction of them (as a config option.)

Of course if you want to avoid the heat then you can go to a system with higher FP costs and less planets, no one will bother you, but its not as profitable.
    I think this is a step in the right direction far more reasonable than the original idea.

- Enslaving AI population is definitely not something I'd encourage to be in a more-less casual style sandbox game like Starmade.
    - It is not clear how that population can be represented. Spawning lots of AI's on planets might become a pointless burden on a server.
    - Giving money is not a viable model. Resources should be the goal, and credits must only work as exchange tool.

= As there's asteroids and planets, both has to be independent and unlikely method of getting resources.

= Asteroids could be the faster way to get a bulk of resources, but asteroids belts would deplete and has to be replenished using Faction Points, as it is probably planned. Alternatively all mining activity can be stopped for a given belt for a time being to let it "repopulate itself". Depleted asteroid belt would only spawn a single asteroid per sector. Asteroids types should be tied to the Star class and limited to 4 types per system, thus creating territories valuable for industrialists depending on their intended trade. The more belts there is, the more uniform each belt containment in regard to asteroid type. When planet is destroyed, the depleted version of and asteroid belt takes the place of planet's orbit.

= Planets might be utilized by placing Extractors on them. Extractors would work as factory/enchancer system, but instead would extract shards/ores that a particular planet segment contains per server-determined time periods, and put them into controller block's inventory. Same periods would be used to manage planet's mineral replenishment, and overmining the planet for several periods would cause it to become poor. This system would require protection, as extracted resources can be stolen, Extractors salvaged and planet destroyed. Planets would also be respawnable for a large quantity of FPs from a saturated ansteroid belt. Planets mined in regular fashion would get reduced replenishment as max amount of resources would depend on the amount of blocks a segment has.

= Abandoned stations would not respawn at all, making them also a somehow valuable resource and allowing to "clean-up" a system, while encouraging raids out of the faction's space. Pirates would repopulate systems statistically up to a cap if those systems aren't visited by players and spawn new pirate bases when someone visit them after a while.

= Another possible feature that would definitely spice up star systems are dust/gas clouds. Resources could be collected by placing Extractors on a station within such cloud. Per time amount of resources would be lower, as planets clouds would give a steady income for prolonged periods of time, but depleted permanently. Clouds also should be spawnable by FP, creating a cluster of sectors infused by a random color cloud. On one point that would make a space for some interesting mechanics like hiding from sensor scans or reducing ship stats within a cloud. On the contrary, it would require significant additions to game's resources to make those areas visible outside and inside the dust/gas cloud.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    I think this is a step in the right direction far more reasonable than the original idea.

- Enslaving AI population is definitely not something I'd encourage to be in a more-less casual style sandbox game like Starmade.
    - It is not clear how that population can be represented. Spawning lots of AI's on planets might become a pointless burden on a server.
    - Giving money is not a viable model. Resources should be the goal, and credits must only work as exchange tool.

= As there's asteroids and planets, both has to be independent and unlikely method of getting resources.

= Asteroids could be the faster way to get a bulk of resources, but asteroids belts would deplete and has to be replenished using Faction Points, as it is probably planned. Alternatively all mining activity can be stopped for a given belt for a time being to let it "repopulate itself". Depleted asteroid belt would only spawn a single asteroid per sector. Asteroids types should be tied to the Star class and limited to 4 types per system, thus creating territories valuable for industrialists depending on their intended trade. The more belts there is, the more uniform each belt containment in regard to asteroid type. When planet is destroyed, the depleted version of and asteroid belt takes the place of planet's orbit.

= Planets might be utilized by placing Extractors on them. Extractors would work as factory/enchancer system, but instead would extract shards/ores that a particular planet segment contains per server-determined time periods, and put them into controller block's inventory. Same periods would be used to manage planet's mineral replenishment, and overmining the planet for several periods would cause it to become poor. This system would require protection, as extracted resources can be stolen, Extractors salvaged and planet destroyed. Planets would also be respawnable for a large quantity of FPs from a saturated ansteroid belt. Planets mined in regular fashion would get reduced replenishment as max amount of resources would depend on the amount of blocks a segment has.

= Abandoned stations would not respawn at all, making them also a somehow valuable resource and allowing to "clean-up" a system, while encouraging raids out of the faction's space. Pirates would repopulate systems statistically up to a cap if those systems aren't visited by players and spawn new pirate bases when someone visit them after a while.

= Another possible feature that would definitely spice up star systems are dust/gas clouds. Resources could be collected by placing Extractors on a station within such cloud. Per time amount of resources would be lower, as planets clouds would give a steady income for prolonged periods of time, but depleted permanently. Clouds also should be spawnable by FP, creating a cluster of sectors infused by a random color cloud. On one point that would make a space for some interesting mechanics like hiding from sensor scans or reducing ship stats within a cloud. On the contrary, it would require significant additions to game's resources to make those areas visible outside and inside the dust/gas cloud.
    This would be to much like Eve Online if they did that they already got Warp Gate I am Surprised that they did not have advanced Jump Drive that could jump 1 System Away stop becoming so much like Eve online and become more of your own game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This would be to much like Eve Online if they did that they already got Warp Gate I am Surprised that they did not have advanced Jump Drive that could jump 1 System Away stop becoming so much like Eve online and become more of your own game.
    I haven't played EVE and mostly unaware of what they have, but I highly doubt they make you visit a planet regularly to collect resources, build massive ground batteries in order to protect an installation or even having such installation as an independent player.

Reaction score
    I haven't played EVE and mostly unaware of what they have, but I highly doubt they make you visit a planet regularly to collect resources, build massive ground batteries in order to protect an installation or even having such installation as an independent player.
    They do you have to mine planets and astroides to make the stuff you want.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    They do you have to mine planets and astroides to make the stuff you want.
    Uh... uuuh... isn't it what we do today? We mine asteroids and planets to make the stuff we want. Do you have problems making proper statements?

Reaction score
    Warp gates weren't invented by the creators of EVE. That concept has been used in older sci-fi media. Same with jump drives.

Reaction score
    Ok here is the thing I ok this is what i think they are becoming to much like eve in a sense but with no Bounders it is more or less why I quite Eve i just did not like it when Starmade came out I loved it but come up with ideas that do not relate to Eve it would be nice to hear Greate Ideas that did not come from eve. And yes Eve has Populated Ai but none that you can control.[DOUBLEPOST=1417188591,1417188540][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Warp gates weren't invented by the creators of EVE. That concept has been used in older sci-fi media. Same with jump drives.
    I know but still I love the Idea of the warp gate it is just a expel.