Symmetry Planes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Since I didn't really like the way the symmetry plane texture looked (especially when using the XZ plane, which is not as subtle as I'd like), I decided to mess around with creating my own. I decided to go with an RGB value of R 192, G 128, B 255 for the lines so that the blue stands out a little more, and the green is reduced to be more in line with red and blue.

With a little calculated use of color, I was also able to have each symmetry plane self-labeled for easy identification! :)

That's what I came up with...if you like it, you can grab it here and then drop it into your StarMade\data\image-resource directory: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhyfrefmow0a0zy/shield_tex.png

Reaction score
    That actually looks pretty sweet, good job. I just might try that out myself. Thanks for sharing. ^.^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Cool, hope you guys like it!

I tried for awhile to match the grid to the size of the block, but to no avail. Not only that, but I played around in symmetry mode last night on my 300+ meter ship and I noticed that the symmetry plane texture was not always at a 1 to 1 aspect ratio...so apparently the game stretches it on occasion, for some reason.

Reaction score
    There is a reason this texture is called shield_tex.png >.< I put it in data\\image-resource\\ tried shooting station with antimatter, and it showed this XY-grid graphics on shield effect.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Right you are...I was afraid of that. There are two shield_tex.png files that I found...one is data\\image-resource\\shield_tex.png, and the other is data\\textures\\shield_tex.png. For some reason I thought the one in data\\textures was the one being used for shield effects.

Sigh...so I guess you have to choose between nice symmetry planes or nice shield effects. :(

I guess I could try and come up with a pattern that looks good in both roles, but I\'m afraid the XY, YZ, and XZ labels will have to go in that case.

Anyone know what the shield_tex.png in data\\textures is used for?