Switch between docked entities using build mode ("command mode")

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am certainly not the only one who gets tired of trying to switch to one particular turret on a ship, or docked ship on a station, therefore I suggest a "switch to docked entity" button in advanced build mode that functions like so:

1. Go into build mode.
    2. Target (using target reticle and pressing f or nav menu selection) an entity docked, either directly, or through a chain dock, to your own.
    3. Press left ctrl then click the "switch to docked entity" button.
    No more arrow spamming required. We need to fight the enemy, not the ships controls.

Edits:
    -addressing Valck's concerns on future build mode removal

Build mode removed ? : Rename it to "command mode" maintaining all build mode functionality except place/remove blocks.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I am certainly not the only one who gets tired of trying to switch to one particular turret on a ship, or docked ship on a station, therefore I suggest a "switch to docked entity" button in advanced build mode that functions like so:

1. Go into build mode.
    2. Target (using target reticle and pressing f or nav menu selection) an entity docked, either directly, or through a chain dock, to your own.
    3. Press left ctrl then click the "switch to docked entity" button.
    No more arrow spamming required. We need to fight the enemy, not the ships controls.
    I agree there needs to be a better way to switch between docked entities, but I'm not sure build mode is the way to go.
    For one, with shipyards now being a thing, it is conceivable that build mode will eventually be phased out and only accessible from shipyards.
    Also there are already the structure and weapons menu, which to me seem the more natural places for that functionality, ideally allowing us to assign docked entities to the hotbar in addition to directly selecting them.

Reaction score
    It could also work to select the block (turret axis, rail, rail rotator) that has an entity connected to it, and then you get put in the docked entity.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree there needs to be a better way to switch between docked entities, but I'm not sure build mode is the way to go.
    For one, with shipyards now being a thing, it is conceivable that build mode will eventually be phased out and only accessible from shipyards.
    Also there are already the structure and weapons menu, which to me seem the more natural places for that functionality, ideally allowing us to assign docked entities to the hotbar in addition to directly selecting them.
    If build mode is "removed" from ships, keep all functions of build mode except block placement/removal and rename it "command mode", the ability to visually select targets without being limited to a camera viewport/nav menu should be maintained if/when they decide to remove build mode.

As for the structure and weapon menu, navigating to the correct entity under fire, without being able to gauge where the fire is coming from with respect to the desired entity, would be less desirable. The ideas are not mutually exclusive though, and there is no reason you couldn't add more functionality to the system and weapon menu. I find those methods to be clunkier in practice.

At any rate, the suggestion to add functionality to the weapon menu or system menu is deserving of its own thread.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443523503,1443522901][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It could also work to select the block (turret axis, rail, rail rotator) that has an entity connected to it, and then you get put in the docked entity.
    Could you describe this further with relation to how the rail block would be selected?

Reaction score
    Could you describe this further with relation to how the rail block would be selected?
    1. Press the "Switch to docked entity" button, which is right next to the "Create docking" button
    2. Select a dockable block or a rail docker (similar to how you select a block for the "Create docking" feature)
    3. If that block has an entity attached, you get put into it (in build mode). If not, you get an error.