Survival Server: New players spawn in unvisited planets or asteroid sectors

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Currently the server.cfg file only allows for predefined rotating spawn locations. but the game could do a lot more to make for a more interesting multilayer (or even single player) experience.:

New players either spawn in an unvisited asteroid sector (one populated by asteroids, but out of range of any pirates), or in orbit of an unvisited planet. This way, wherever the player spawns, there is something for them to mine.... which brings me to the next fun twist: The player spawns with no gear. Although it would be nice to later see new player spawn near a special structure which would essentially be a burned out hull of a ship without a core, but with an undeathinator.

Of course, in order for spawning with zero gear to work (like how Minecraft games begin), the power beam will need to be integrated into the suit, or my alternate suggestion implemented to get around the initial power problem https://starmadedock.net/threads/su...ry-insteadof-basic-factory.22424/#post-254806

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Starting out in a burned out hull would also make a great platform for a new player base, whether the entity is implemented as a fixed structure, like space stations, or a movable entity like asteroids. Since the shipwreck wouldn't show up on the galactic map, it could also serve as a hidden non-faction base in a similar way asteroids can be used as hidden bases (except the shipwreck can have working rails).

Reaction score
    Hmmm, This could be an intersting change, though I wouldn't have the player start in orbit of a planet. (in the event that "falling to death" ever occurs, better to not encourage the sort of behavior that would trigger it.)

That said, in the event that the player manages to die without setting an undeathinator, where would they re-spawn? The same sector they started in, or the usual 2,2,2 spawn-shop.

This is fairly important, as while they are supposed to be out of the range of Pirates (per your selection criteria) its currently far too easy for pirates to chase you back to your base, and if you just keep re-spawning at your now pirate-infested start-point, the game quits being fun.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmmm, This could be an intersting change, though I wouldn't have the player start in orbit of a planet. (in the event that "falling to death" ever occurs, better to not encourage the sort of behavior that would trigger it.)

That said, in the event that the player manages to die without setting an undeathinator, where would they re-spawn? The same sector they started in, or the usual 2,2,2 spawn-shop.

This is fairly important, as while they are supposed to be out of the range of Pirates (per your selection criteria) its currently far too easy for pirates to chase you back to your base, and if you just keep re-spawning at your now pirate-infested start-point, the game quits being fun.
    The idea was the burned out hull would have an undeathinator, which you'd be tied to. I've had pirates attack me at the spawn shop in single player games, so it's bit of a moot point. I figured starting the ship in orbit would be easier to handle if the hulls are spawned from special blueprints. Ideally though, the ship would actually be attached to the planet (or possibly asteroid) as if it had crashed. It may just be easier to spawn the junk ships in a populated asteroid cluster (but could be any cluster type in actuality) near a planet though. Whatever is easiest for the devs to implement, I'm cool with. However, I do like the idea of this burned hull being a station-like object to work as a starting platform for new players which isn't listed on the main map.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Why not ask a new player if they would like to spawn on a random space station or planet? Whichever they choose will initialize their respawn point to that location.