Surprise Dev Update

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    HOLY SQUEAKING MOTHER OF PIKACHU! He's done it!
    The hype engines have long since overloaded and exploded! Does this mean I will be able to point my turret barrels 90* upward now and eliminate the annoying "blind spot" that current turrets have?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    HOLY SQUEAKING MOTHER OF PIKACHU! He's done it!
    The hype engines have long since overloaded and exploded! Does this mean I will be able to point my turret barrels 90* upward now and eliminate the annoying "blind spot" that current turrets have?
    Yes, but apparently clipping is now a thing, so it'd need a slot all the way to the top.

I really have no idea how feasible this would be but I believe it would give the community what it wants from turret articulation while not sacrificing their weapons output capability.
    Wait you said having the primary in the barrel and the secondary & effect further up the docking chain earlier, right?
    What about:
    In the barrel: master computer c->v hinge docker and
    In the base: hinge dock c->v secondary computer?
    That is pretty simple for the user. Not sure about how complex the code side is.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yes, but apparently clipping is now a thing, so it'd need a slot all the way to the top.

Wait you said having the primary in the barrel and the secondary & effect further up the docking chain earlier, right?
    What about:
    That is pretty simple for the user. Not sure about how complex the code side is.
    I am leaning towards my newer option. Having some kind of "weapon output" block that you put in the barrel or some way to tell the weapons computer on the turret body to output it's weapon from the docked entity. This way we will not be limited by the size of the barrel... but it does raise some issues. Massive turret with like a single block barrel containing the output, that's a little weird.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh, come on, I have to mostly leave StarMade for a month or two (sorry guys) and the day after I realize that Schema does THIS?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are other ways to do it, too. When this update is released, I will be working on turrets quite a bit to develop my own style and such.

Reactions: Trekkerjoe
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am worried about small turret design, as the computers required to make the barrel work would take between 1 and 3 blocks of space. I wonder how it would be possible to balance this.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!

What about:
    That could work. Just wondering how we would get dual arrays to work though. Perhaps if you have multiple arrays linked to the same computer, you can link them together with the marker beam to connect them properly.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I am worried about small turret design, as the computers required to make the barrel work would take between 1 and 3 blocks of space. I wonder how it would be possible to balance this.
    It was my understanding that these rotating blocks was an option in addition to the old style turret system... although I am not sure how well the old style would work with the physically touching blocks.

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't think i have so much patience...
    ( °.°){I want it now!) :schema:
    ( °.°)(Not now. I have to fix a lot of bugs otherwise people will comp....} :schema:
    (╯°□°)╯︵ :schema:
    ( O_O) :schema:
    (╯°□°)╯︵ :schema:
    ( O_O) :schema:

(O_O) Totally forgot: schema = cat

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I really appreciate that the temporary textures include arrows free-drawn in Paint.

I check Starmade news every morning and every night hoping for this content release. I'm really excited.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Its a little annoying to see we will now need to double the amount of entities attached to ships for turrets, this worrys me a little regarding performance acorss the board. :/

But cat is cat.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Its a little annoying to see we will now need to double the amount of entities attached to ships for turrets, this worrys me a little regarding performance acorss the board. :/

But cat is cat.
    Oh............................ I didn't think about that.

That means....

238 entities from turrets alone. Ouch.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The applications of this will be insane! I can already see the transformers...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1427932086,1427931997][/DOUBLEPOST]I just thought of Pacific Rim... O_O The giant battle robots are coming!

Reaction score
    Well, leave it to me to be the one who's unexcited by this stuff. I hate the look of external turrets; this does nothing for me. Maybe I can devise alternate uses for the new block-age...

--- You may resume joyous celebration ---

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, leave it to me to be the one who's unexcited by this stuff. I hate the look of external turrets; this does nothing for me. Maybe I can devise alternate uses for the new block-age...

--- You may resume joyous celebration ---
    Does that mean you have no turrets on your ships or stations? Or do your ships have like, decoration turrets or something?