Surprise Dev Update

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Does anyone happen to know if items on a rail will transfer on to an adjacent rail if said adjacent rail is built on another structure which is docked to the original structure? If that makes sense...

i.e two plates docked to each other making one big flat plate. Both plates have a line of rails running across them. These rails meet each other at the seem of the plates, visually making one long rail. Would something then docked to the rail treat it as one long rail or two individual rails?
    I havent tested this. I'm not sure it will work, but it sure is worth a try.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Does anyone happen to know if items on a rail will transfer on to an adjacent rail if said adjacent rail is built on another structure which is docked to the original structure? If that makes sense...

i.e two plates docked to each other making one big flat plate. Both plates have a line of rails running across them. These rails meet each other at the seem of the plates, visually making one long rail. Would something then docked to the rail treat it as one long rail or two individual rails?
    I very much doubt it will work as the 1st rail will probably se the 2nd rail as a separate entity. Worth experimenting with though.

If it does work, what did you have in mind?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    That doesn't work (tested in DevBuild 19182 if I remember that right) But I'm pretty sure that gets implemented.

As soon as that works, you are able to build moveable storage boxes which you can use to auto load/unload a cargoship <3
    Also, transfer drones from your station to you carrier ...

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    That doesn't work (tested in DevBuild 19182 if I remember that right) But I'm pretty sure that gets implemented.

As soon as that works, you are able to build moveable storage boxes which you can use to auto load/unload a cargoship <3
    Also, transfer drones from your station to you carrier ...
    Damn thats a shame, but it'll be good to see it when it comes along :D.

And haha mind reader! I had plans of a large scale auto allocating multi floor storage box / ship storage platform system that would allocate a space to an object based on what was available :). Soon it will be a reality!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, leave it to me to be the one who's unexcited by this stuff. I hate the look of external turrets; this does nothing for me. Maybe I can devise alternate uses for the new block-age...

--- You may resume joyous celebration ---
    I've got to agree with you, however with some logic, couldn't you create a turret inside that moves on rails to the outer hull for a battle? Then stow away those ugly contraptions that are needed?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429218420,1429218020][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Oh, this revitalizes my hype! Imagine all the cool systems you can make with turrets(and other ships) on rails! Imagine being able to press a button and the turrets retract into a repair area deep inside the ship! Or perhaps pressing a button to quickly switch out your SAM turrets for cannon turrets! Or maximizing docking space by having your ships rotate into a storage area, and calling specific ships by pressing a button! The possibilities are endless!
    Great idea! Wouldn't that be nice to store out of sight fighters/bombers. Of course, now my ideas of a space roller coaster are realized. And the idea of swapping out turrets is appealing!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've got to agree with you, however with some logic, couldn't you create a turret inside that moves on rails to the outer hull for a battle? Then stow away those ugly contraptions that are needed?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429218420,1429218020][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Great idea! Wouldn't that be nice to store out of sight fighters/bombers. Of course, now my ideas of a space roller coaster are realized. And the idea of swapping out turrets is appealing!

I want to at the least have the rails graphics before I do a tutorial. The placeholders just won't cut it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Could somene post pics ( if they have made) of any naval style turrets made using the glory of this update.... i have tried making some but that did not work out as i thought it would ( im looking at you clipping :oops: )

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Could somene post pics ( if they have made) of any naval style turrets made using the glory of this update.... i have tried making some but that did not work out as i thought it would ( im looking at you clipping :oops: )
    Yeah my biggest gripe with the new turret system is how it only favors turrets that are basically a gun mounted on a swivel base. Naval style artillery will be possible sure, but because all the weapons have to be contained in the barrels they will be significantly weaker.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I hope that they find a resource light way of doing that since this update looks like it might juice the RAM; Actualy made one that is not that week but it looks like a Schwerer Gustav mouted on a single rail cart

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yeah my biggest gripe with the new turret system is how it only favors turrets that are basically a gun mounted on a swivel base. Naval style artillery will be possible sure, but because all the weapons have to be contained in the barrels they will be significantly weaker.
    Hopefully we get a way to link weapons across docked entities to allow us to build our turrets to whatever barrel : body ratio we want.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I have a question, when the update comes will ships on servers be undocked because they lack the docking block?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I have a question, when the update comes will ships on servers be undocked because they lack the docking block?
    The old docking block is probably going to continue to exist for a few updates, but will no longer be craftable, purchasable from shops, and people will be told to move things over to the new system. Basically, the same thing that happened with the weapons update.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    From what I heard from chat, the old docking will still exist, but you will no longer be able to dock to it or buy it, etc. Docked things will still be docked, but once they are undocked they cant redock to the old modules (I can imagine blueprints would auto-undock things as well). Would stop turrets and ships from popping off homebases after the update, but still push people into using the new systems.