Super Tight Crew Quarters?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm guessing the people not whining about the need for crew and their various quarters have already figured this out or are already building with crew in mind in the first place. Needless to say anyone want to show off some ideas for making cramped areas like crew quarters, work areas, and other claustrophobia inducing interiors? :P

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    clarke_cavehall_upper_tiny.png
    Illustration 1: Most of the astronaut-accessible areas of my "Clarke Explorer" are pretty well-lit and open, but the mirrored access ramps at the very nose of the ship are dark, tight, and claustrophobic.

mallard_cabin_rearforward_rampclosed_small-png.12571.png
    Illustration 2: The "Snark" class "Aluminum Mallard" isn't as claustrophobic as some places, but when you consider this is the crew area, cargo area, and the cockpit, all together, it's a pretty tiny space.

Reactions: Mariux

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10

Here's a crew quarter thing with a bed, a chair, a desk, two gravity blocks for sleeping and walking, and a personal storage

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wow - Some of these make my standard 1 bunk 3x3 crew cube look spacious.

Reaction score
    a 3x3x4 room could house 4 crewmen using the standard 3 block beds. Now of course, I have no idea how quarters will work and what determines places for the crew to sleep. For all we know it's entirely arbitrary and doesn't actually require anything. Or they might make it so it's 1 crewman to a room, or make the room only require 1 block of space.

But assuming the rooms have to fit at least a bed (I wont even go into how the game would determine you have a bed) then that 3x3 room could fit two bunk beds. So fitting crew on a ship really wouldn't be a problem at all.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    However now that we have slabs coming, you could make a bed out of 1/4 think slabs. If a crewman can fit into a 2 meter by 3/4 meter space, you could fit a 2 man bunk bed into a 1x2x2 space. That'd be some tight quarters there!

Reaction score
    However now that we have slabs coming, you could make a bed out of 1/4 think slabs. If a crewman can fit into a 2 meter by 3/4 meter space, you could fit a 2 man bunk bed into a 1x2x2 space. That'd be some tight quarters there!
    I remember being stacked 4 bunks high while attached to an LST

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    starmade-screenshot-0003.png
    The Blackstar Nugget: microquarters include a bunk for hot-racking, a desk, swivel chair, and storage locker under bunk. Two exterior-view windows at the desk help alleviate the claustrophobia.

Reactions: MrFURB

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, the potential for very very tight bunks is going way up in a few days when we get to use white standard armor 1/4 slabs...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Created a station to fiddle around with interiors without worrying about an exterior. First design for crew bunks. Probably gonna try a few variants, not entirely happy with this.

Everyone has a personal lamp and storage locker. Very industrial/militaristic. No privacy in the sleeping area, but there would be rec areas elsewhere to keep people sane-ish.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My standard quarters is a 4x4x4 room

Trying out some new bunk bed designs using slabs.
    Ooh, slab bunk beds...

Gotta find out how Crew is going to work in regards to things like sleeping. I can definitely see submarine style bunk beds being a thing for my ships and stations.

Try making the white sections half a block slab instead of 1/4 and it'll look like there's a pillow.

Reaction score
    Ooh, slab bunk beds...

Gotta find out how Crew is going to work in regards to things like sleeping. I can definitely see submarine style bunk beds being a thing for my ships and stations.

Try making the white sections half a block slab instead of 1/4 and it'll look like there's a pillow.
    Or, have a white underside with coloured slabs above and it'll look like a mattress with blanket.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

I managed to find the cutaway for what I now see to be utterly spacious accommodations for my station-side crew. A 2x3x3 bunk room (single occupant) with a bed, desk/computer and chair, complete with personal lavatory (includes medicine cabinet, and yes that "drain" is a missile block, the showerhead is an Astrotech module).

My Sleipnir corvette will have to take the game up a notch for cramped living quarters, it seems...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Here's a little sneak at a crew quarter design I'm working toward:

After doing some wiki surfing last night, I was unaware of the amount of crew that fit on modern naval vessels!

Nimtz class aircraft carrier - 332.8 meters, up to 5000+ crew.
    Ohio Class submarine - 170 meters, 15 officers and 140 enlisted.

Looks like I need to up my game! Most crew quarters I've ever done is 2 barracks with a combined hold of 600 crew, 16 officers, 8 commanding officials/political quarters on a ship about 350 meters long!

Reactions: BrotherLazarus