Recognized Super important yet simple radar jamming features

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    1. Make them logic controlled. Not really necessary to the suggestion, but would be nice.
    2. Whenever you grapple to a ship in astronaut mode that is radar jammed, your nav signal is hidden with it even if you enter the gravity of another ship or planet. That way, you can assault a planet or a station in player mode and completely avoid enemy detection.

Coupled with warheads, it sort of makes boarding viable. You could use drones with stop beams, have a guy pilot a jamming device, use warheads to blast open the doors and attempt to overhead the core with more warheads. Voila, simple boarding tactics. It would take some talent, but I suppose the bragging rights and an in-tact ship would be worth it.

It is necessary for planet attacks because otherwise the enemy would just pick you off the surface and the turrets would annihilate you.

It's also important for protecting crew aboard a ship. Otherwise, even if the entire ship is radar jammed you could still lock on to it using enemy lifesigns. Which is annoying for everyone onboard, to say the least.

Also, the radar jam protection would have a flat range of 1-200 meters from the ship.

As a person who was once blown up by a pirate station while working on a radar jammed ship, please. This is necessary.

Reactions: CyberTao

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    As a person who was once blown up by a pirate station while working on a radar jammed ship, please. This is necessary.
    I was under the impression that AI locked on to anything, regardless of whether it was jammed or not at, (buggy bugs are bugged).

Why not just have player have a built in Jammer? Or the reverse technically. While active people can see your location (like an emergency beacon), but when it's off you lose your navigation Icon. I remember doing a PvP thing on a planet once, and the Nav icons do kinda ruin the fun of sneaking, but you won't always be near a Jammed ship either.

I dunno, might be a little easier to code, since it is apply jamming to an entity, instead of applying it to a non-docked but attached entity (maybe?).
    Would love for Logic to work with other effects as well, like Ion or Punch passives.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I was under the impression that AI locked on to anything, regardless of whether it was jammed or not at, (buggy bugs are bugged).

Why not just have player have a built in Jammer? Or the reverse technically. While active people can see your location (like an emergency beacon), but when it's off you lose your navigation Icon. I remember doing a PvP thing on a planet once, and the Nav icons do kinda ruin the fun of sneaking, but you won't always be near a Jammed ship either.

I dunno, might be a little easier to code, since it is apply jamming to an entity, instead of applying it to a non-docked but attached entity (maybe?).
    Would love for Logic to work with other effects as well, like Ion or Punch passives.
    I believe logic does work for effects. I agree with everything you said. Also, that lock-on bug is going to be fixed.

I like the idea of built-in radar jammers. Whatever is easier for the developers to implement, I suppose. Having ships jam players does make for a sort of strategy, I guess.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    While I agree with everything in the OP, I would also like to add this, regarding AI versus jammers:
    Detection of jammed ships should only happen at much closer than maximum range. Right now, an AI can detect a jammed ship at the same range as an unjammed one. This doesn't make any sense and while the accuracy decrease is nice it's still not enough. A jammed ship should be able to be detected at visual range only by an AI, like a player can.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    While I agree with everything in the OP, I would also like to add this, regarding AI versus jammers:
    Detection of jammed ships should only happen at much closer than maximum range. Right now, an AI can detect a jammed ship at the same range as an unjammed one. This doesn't make any sense and while the accuracy decrease is nice it's still not enough. A jammed ship should be able to be detected at visual range only by an AI, like a player can.
    I believe that is a bug they're trying to fix.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I believe that is a bug they're trying to fix.
    Actually, apparently they fixed that in the latest version but now people regard it as an exploit as you can camp outside the 1km range and snipe a station to death.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Actually, apparently they fixed that in the latest version but now people regard it as an exploit as you can camp outside the 1km range and snipe a station to death.
    I doubt that's true. The stations send pirates against you if you do attack it, I really don't see the problem. Besides, it can still shoot dumbfire missiles at you, right? Also, they shoot at you with cannons that have a range of 5km.

At any rate, I know AI ships can still lock on to you. Which needs to be fixed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I doubt that's true. The stations send pirates against you if you do attack it, I really don't see the problem. Besides, it can still shoot dumbfire missiles at you, right? Also, they shoot at you with cannons that have a range of 5km.

At any rate, I know AI ships can still lock on to you. Which needs to be fixed.
    Pretty sure that PLAYER stations being able to be sniped from long range is what the people are talking about.