Super charger - Damage in exchange for bonuses

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    When linked to a computer, this block would give a large bonus with little power usage in exchange for destroying blocks that computer is linked to. It would not take up any slot, so you could have an effect bonus and the super charger. All effect and supports linked to the main computer would also take damage. Could be used to boost FTL, thrusters, shields, reactors, medical systems, massage chairs, and power storage. Maybe armor too but I'm not sure about that. When linked to the core would give a equally distributed bonus to all areas of the ship.

The amount of blocks destroyed a second would be directly proportional to the bonus given, which in turn would be proportional to the supercharger effect.

Also, the supercharger modules would also be destroyed when you buffed something.

tl;dr: Gives a large bonus in exchange for slowly cannabilizing whatever system it's attached to.

Pros:
    New battle tactics( a supercharged drone with a short half life, buffing shields to outlast an opponent for a short time, a super fast torpedo that accelerates quickly to deliver a warhea, buffing weapons to deal with an opponent that has high shield regen, etc)
    -New build styles: For example, a supercharged group of reactors that are repaired by nearby docked repair drones
    -Ship upkeep. Slowly eats a ship, so would provide incentives for repairing stations. Would provide interesting logistical challenges once we get a better inventory system.
    -Crewability. Imagine AI and players running around repairing systems. There is an entire game based off of this concept: Guns of Icarus.

Cons:
    Nothing, really

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Might be cool as long as it's not used for weapons systems. High alpha damage is the current meta, that would make the problem worse.

Instead of a new block...perhaps just have a slider for each computer for the percentage of effect you want from it? Trade effect percentage/power for energy drain. Go over 100%? Then start taking system module damage.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Might be cool as long as it's not used for weapons systems. High alpha damage is the current meta, that would make the problem worse.

Instead of a new block...perhaps just have a slider for each computer for the percentage of effect you want from it? Trade effect percentage/power for energy drain. Go over 100%? Then start taking system module damage.
    Eh, but I like the idea of a block because of a new block to play with and the fact that it makes the effect time limited.

High Alpha could be countered with buffing shields or thrusters, though.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When linked to a computer, this block would give a large bonus with little power usage in exchange for destroying blocks that computer is linked to. It would not take up any slot, so you could have an effect bonus and the super charger. All effect and supports linked to the main computer would also take damage. Could be used to boost FTL, thrusters, shields, reactors, medical systems, massage chairs, and power storage. Maybe armor too but I'm not sure about that. When linked to the core would give a equally distributed bonus to all areas of the ship.

The amount of blocks destroyed a second would be directly proportional to the bonus given, which in turn would be proportional to the supercharger effect.

Also, the supercharger modules would also be destroyed when you buffed something.

tl;dr: Gives a large bonus in exchange for slowly cannabilizing whatever system it's attached to.

Pros:
    New battle tactics( a supercharged drone with a short half life, buffing shields to outlast an opponent for a short time, a super fast torpedo that accelerates quickly to deliver a warhea, buffing weapons to deal with an opponent that has high shield regen, etc)
    -New build styles: For example, a supercharged group of reactors that are repaired by nearby docked repair drones
    -Ship upkeep. Slowly eats a ship, so would provide incentives for repairing stations. Would provide interesting logistical challenges once we get a better inventory system.
    -Crewability. Imagine AI and players running around repairing systems. There is an entire game based off of this concept: Guns of Icarus.
    .First, we need a shipyard or blueprint-restore function (or use supercharger-slaves as boost-fuel?).
    .Secondly, it could produce lag, thus I suggest that this does not fully kill blocks (just change the hp to >= 1 and go offline).
    .Thirdly why crew and not R2D2s? Humans have better things to do.
    .Fourthly I would like to require every block accessible from interior to be repaired. Would boost (optional) RP.
    .Fifthly, this would completely rebalance combat. You need logic which decides whether to activate boost in a matter of 0.5 seconds.

I would like all the possibilities - if it would be an option you can change per server.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    .First, we need a shipyard or blueprint-restore function (or use supercharger-slaves as boost-fuel?).
    .Secondly, it could produce lag, thus I suggest that this does not fully kill blocks (just change the hp to >= 1 and go offline).
    .Thirdly why crew and not R2D2s? Humans have better things to do.
    .Fourthly I would like to require every block accessible from interior to be repaired. Would boost (optional) RP.
    .Fifthly, this would completely rebalance combat. You need logic which decides whether to activate boost in a matter of 0.5 seconds.

I would like all the possibilities - if it would be an option you can change per server.
    #1 is planned

#2 can be fixed with optimizations, but that is a good idea anyways

#3 That is an RP argument, but I like the idea of both humans and robots working together, both with certain advantages.

#4 This is a good idea that seems like it deserves its own thread.

#5 That depends on the numbers, which Schema can decide. I feel the basic concept is sound.