sun light drawn distance + best graphical settings

Reaction score
    Hello,
    I have two questions:
    1. When I get further and further away from a ship (or view it from certain angles) I get this weird shadow line going across it. starmade-screenshot-0005.jpg starmade-screenshot-0007.jpg starmade-screenshot-0008.jpg starmade-screenshot-0009.jpg
    I am presuming this is the sunlight (as this doesn't occur when on the other side of the ship)
    Is there a setting to just have it always light/increase the distance it keeps the light there? I know it is a small thing, but it is kinda bugging me.

Also, on the topic of graphical settings. I have (simply put) and mad as beast of a machine. Other than the more obvious settings like draw distance (clearly, the higher, the better) what settings would be optimal to get the best visual display?

Thanks guys! :D

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Turn off shadows if you don't want to see them.

Best graphics = View distance++, normal mapping on, high res textures, and the option to turn on Bloom ingame.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Turn off shadows if you don't want to see them.
    I've noticed what the OP describes as well, and it's not "a shadow"; that is, there is no object blocking light to create a shadow. It is also not due to distance between the lit entity (the ship) and the star/sun, as that doesn't change (it happens with stations also). It is as if sunlight exists only in a bubble surrounding the player's current position or viewpoint, and objects outside of the bubble cease to be lit.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I've noticed what the OP describes as well, and it's not "a shadow"; that is, there is no object blocking light to create a shadow. It is also not due to distance between the lit entity (the ship) and the star/sun, as that doesn't change (it happens with stations also). It is as if sunlight exists only in a bubble surrounding the player's current position or viewpoint, and objects outside of the bubble cease to be lit.
    Dude, it's still related to the shadows setting regardless of the language you're using. You turn off Shadows, you turn off this problem. Game programming doesn't care about science or classical logic, it cares about code, and code is the problem here.

<_<

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I understand that it is an effect of the shadows setting. I was just trying to make the point that this phenomenon doesn't exactly fall under the personal preference of wanting or not wanting to see shadows. It is oddly different from the natural concept of a shadow, which otherwise adds to the visual depth of the game.

I also realize that it is likely an optimization to avoid handling light rays which are outside of some radius from the player's perspective, so that lighting and shadows are fully resolved only in close proximity to the player.