Planned Sun Damage Sectors displayable?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Getting rather annoying with flying anywhere within a few sectors of the sun and nearly getting fried like a well-done turkey. It'd be nice if the death sectors for a star were able to be displayed or not by a simple checkbox like other things are. Just a nice thing to have.

D

Deleted member 433088

Agreed. I can never quite remember what the safe sectors around the star are, since it seems it's not a simple 3x3 cube... and from my memory, the danger zone for giant stars is even bigger.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Gets even funnier with planets that are practically in the sun. XD

D

Deleted member 433088

Hah, well, makes me think of Mercury in our own solar system...
    And funny thing, just yesterday I had a close encounter with a sun, went looking for Tekt asteroids in a sector I thought was far enough to be safe, on my very first ship... suddenly I'm getting irradiated, the game tells me to get to the shadow, but the asteroids are really far because I set sector size to 5000. So I try to turn back... oh nevermind, my reactor is busted, welcome to die :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Would be a nice feature... I accidentally built my station right next to killzone sector, and the kill sector even has a shop in it to lure the unwary :D

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Would be a nice feature... I accidentally built my station right next to killzone sector, and the kill sector even has a shop in it to lure the unwary :D
    lol it is like the trading guild is trying to thin the number of pilots in the galaxy a tad. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be nice... but I think it's fun to figure this out by flying too close and taking damage... the you know not to do that again :P

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    It'd still be nice to see the zones as an option. Right now I'm resorting to beacons dropped off at the edges of the zone.

Reactions: Wolverines527

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    This just got even more important with the new update. ^-^

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I imagine a scanner could be useful for plotting those sectors. I say this is a good idea, however it is low on the priority list.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I imagine a scanner could be useful for plotting those sectors. I say this is a good idea, however it is low on the priority list.
    Well, we could take a page from the old Elite game and it's many clones: have a hull temperature gauge pop up if you're getting too close to a star, rather than just getting damage notifications. That way players have a chance to avoid being damaged while flying around a star.

Croquelune

An Imaginary Number's officer
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Agreed. I can never quite remember what the safe sectors around the star are, since it seems it's not a simple 3x3 cube... and from my memory, the danger zone for giant stars is even bigger.
    I suspect also that the star color influences the danger area. When I learn it from the hard way by had the genius idea to choose a giant blue as main system and fry almost everywhere but the corners.

Hahaha me too I got powned when I spawn my station naively on a sector border limit. I had literally just have to jump to begin to fry. 50 000$ wasted. The joy of noobness.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This would be a great addition as well as being able to plot courses so we don't accidentally jump into a sun because it happened to be 8 sectors away from where we jumped from

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    While were at it.... maybe make sure shops don't spawn too close to suns as well. same with station spawning.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, as this is on low priority for the schedule of schema, maybe someone could make a mod? A simple mod that colours the sectors that are dangerous.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    It shouldn't be
    I imagine it's common sense to not fly near a sun. One experience is all it should take to learn that. We have fleets being worked on right now and NPC stuff in our immediate future. It is indeed low on the priority list.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I imagine it's common sense to not fly near a sun. One experience is all it should take to learn that. We have fleets being worked on right now and NPC stuff in our immediate future. It is indeed low on the priority list.
    The trouble is it's sometimes not always clear what sectors hurt you, especially in claimed space with a binary sun. Stars don't show up on the map in claimed sectors. The last time I got burned by a sun unknowingly was this very reason. Another issue is the jump drive just drops you in any sector regardless of it is safe. You could set a destination across the galaxy and there is no good way to determine if it is safe or not short of counting sectors before every single jump.