Suggestions v2

Reaction score
    Hi, i've been away for a while =)

But ,i'm back with some ideas. Some may have been posted on the forum already but i don't have time to go through all of them to check and adjust the developements of my ideas ( Sorry ). I've set in Bold the features that i like most.

- Moons : the moons are spheres that rotate aroud planets. They offer some ressources that the planet doesn't. Their surface can be builded the same as planet but gravity cannot be set on it's surface. The gravity still, can be used in the structure you build on it with the fact, that if you get out the structure, gravity will wear off.

- Black Holes : Blacks holes are space singularities. They attract the ships in the same system depending on their mass. The heavier the ship is, the faster it will get to the center. But the blacks holes have another fonction, they can be used for space travel. Blacks holes are all connected through the universe and getting at the center of one establish a random link with another black hole from which the ship will get out. So basically, once you've step through, you can't go back the same you.

- Suns : Randomly, people could find a sector in which a big sun occupy the systems. Suns would be composed of specials blocks so that ship can actually go through it. Moreover, being in the sun would damage the external part of the ship as the hull would resist more than others blocks. Going through the sun would have some advanges too, it could be used to get your ship out of radars, missiles that were following you etc... which make them perfect for hiding. Shields that are enough powerfull can withstand the suns damages on the ship.

- Asteroids : Once all asteroids in the systems have been completly harvested, i suggest they start reappearing slowly as for a server which has a long uptime, it could get really far until ships find new asteroids to collect.

- Backgrounds : I've also thought that the background image actually black with stars could change regularly when travelling. For exemple, the (0,0,0) got one background and (10,0,0) is far enough to get another one much different which could be like the view of our galaxy or other spacial views.

- Laser's color : Possibility to choose the color of the laser, beem, light block or even hull maybe ? ( for the hull, it would actually removes all the hulls so that only a single one remains. ) It would be accessed by a new tab in the pannel that would modify the color of the block currently selected though a RGB color picker. ( The spherical one that is used a lot in graphic softwares ) Then the basic texture of the block would be covered with a layer of the choosen color giving it it's final aspect. I think that this way is the easiest way to get all the color possibilities without consumming a lot of space ( we can have an infnite number of hulls in the shop for their different colors ... )

- Advanced Door Module : A new door, that ask for digits to open ( the door is open when built and the digits can be changed while it's open ). The possibilty of this module is more privacy, individual locker rooms, player could build banks, or they could try to steal.

- Cargo Module : As a economic system have been set, adding a cargo module that limits the number of block you can carry ( depending on the ship you are in ) could be a nice feature. For this module to work, players would have a carrying ability of 10 blocks ( the bottom tool bar ) and a total of 1000 blocks for exemple. Then to carry more, players would have to purchase cargo modules for their ships that would enhance that capacity and which would fill the Inventory. In fact, Inventory would now belong to the ship so that if the ship a stealed, your cargo within it also.

- Repair Station Module : Repair stations would be sort of hangars maybe but a lot more expensive. Repair stations would be able to set back the missing blocks of a ship according to a schematic you choose. Players would have to put the missing blocks that the module would display in the Module for the repair to start. The duration of the repair would depend on the number of missing blocks. The ship will also recover all hitpoints when leaving the Repair Station.

- Tractor Beam Module : A beam that could be used to capture and transport asteroids or immobilise ships. For this module to work, the size of the module must be X times the size of captured entity. ( X being between 0 an 10 for exemple ).

- Organic or Nanite Module : A module that would set back the blocks that got removed by damages. It would consume a lot of energy and it's speed for replacing the missing blocks would depend on its size. Still, it's speed would be limited for not a ship to get invincible.

The following ideas are different from the others as they aren't really new ideas but changes over actual part of game.

- Energy Consumption : Energy can't be store. Energy block produce only instant energy that matches with instant consumption by modules that depend on energy. For advanced players, a pannel can be used to defined which % of energy is allowed to which modules while for beginners, the energy is evenly divided between the modules. If a module doesn't get all the energy it needs, then it's efficiency is reduced by the same percentage of missing energy. All module consomption depend on the size of module.
    Stealth and Radar Jacking module consume a huge amount of energy while activated but they don't use any when they aren't activated. Their efficiency can't be reduced and if they don't get enought energy, they won't work at all.
    Thruster's consumption depend on the speed of the ship as well as on it's mass. So that ships that are big must use really a lot of energy to go at max speed.
    For exemple, a ship got 10 energy modules that produce 100 of instant energy. It has 12 thrusters consumming each 5 of energy and 3 lasers that consume 20, 20 and 40 of energy. Then, it can use it's thrusters at max speed while firing with either the big laser or the two smaller. Or the player can decide to used only the lasers without using thrusters. But if the player choose to use all lasers and move at the same time, he will use 140 of energy with exceed it's capacity. So it's speed will be 70% of it's max, and it's lasers would deal 70% of their damages ( their speed and else might also be reduced ).

- Shields : I think that at all time, a shield should cover all ship and should adapt to it's shape ( if possible fit it's surface ). The shield let through a percentage of incoming projectiles and damages which is 0 when the size of the shield module equals to X times the size of the ship. With X being 1/20 for exemple. The shied consume energy and if it's efficiency isn't 100% then, it's would let through the missing percentages of incoming projectiles and damages.
    The amount of energy consumed by the ship is determined by the damages it takes with a factor depending on the size of shield module. If the shield efficiency drop below 30%, then the shield is disactivated for a duration.

- Collisions : when a block hit another block, they both damage themselves. The damage done is equal to the hit points of the blocks so that if both block have the same hit points, they are both destroyed, else, the stronger block survive. Shield can hold the damages of collisions ( For exemple to hold a kamikaze ship or if you hit an asteroid )

- Thrust : The speed growth is a bit fast as the time to reach max speed doesn't change much from different thrusts. I think it might be best to set Thrust as speed reached in 5 seconds for exemple. Then the fastest ship would go at 50 of speed within 5 sec while the slowest would get to 50 of speed in 50 seconds.

- Server admin Inferface : Allow administrator of server ( the one who launch it ) to change setting such as with ships can be alien vessels, which space stations can be set randomly on sectors, or import a sector from another server into his ( for moving planets or space stations for exemple ). It could also be used to set factions and the ships that can be spawned by factions if this feature comes out in the future and a lot more.

- Player Aspect Costumisation : Give player the possibility to choose one of some aspects for the player. Might be used to set races for players that might give bonuses depending on the choice )

Thanks for reading this long post, don't hesitate to comment any ideas ( if you do so, try to keep the same title as the module you comment "- xxxxxx : comments" for the comments to stay clearly readable ).
    Have fun,

Elladan

Reaction score
    try reading the topics on the rest of the forums in time maybe some ideas are here already

Reaction score
    Collisions : maybe like this when i crash with a fast ship to beetlebears slow ship that my ship flies trough it very damaged but beetlebears ship misses the blocks that i hit on my collision

Reaction score
    These are all good suggestions. I really like the shield. I always stay away from shields because it seems like to much of a hassle for what it's worth. With your suggestion it would be worth it to put shields on a big ship and even smaller ones.

I have to add one suggestion...
    - Player and ship outlines: These would replace the current diamond markers on ships and other structures. It would look something like the outlines you see in Left 4 Dead. These would mainly only appear for friendlies unless an enemy shows up on radar then youd see there outline. The main reasn to have this is to make ship fighting more of a challenge. Curently it's really easy to just aim for the diamond and shoot but if you did outlines with radar it would be much harder to destroy someones core. Also the screen can get a little clutterd with several diamonds on screen at once.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry, but I am against most of the ideas.
    First off, black holes are not visible, second off, they are not wormholes and do not allow travel of any kind. If you want wormholes then make it wormholes or warp gates and not use black holes (since they don't work like this).
    As for suns, they are pretty much gigantic nuclear reactors and it simply isn't physically possible to build something that could withstand even being close to the surface. Even if we assume shields can block anything as long as they have enough energy, it'd require the reactors to have the power output close to that of a star.
    As for reappearance of asteroids, I don't think it's a good idea. First off it doesn't really make much sense and second off, possibility of depleting them prompts the players to take responsibility for their actions.
    Customisable lasers could not be a bad idea, but you have to keep in mind that depending on the color, power of the laser beam varies - red is much hotter than for example green or blue.
    I like the idea of an advanced door block, but as things stand now, it would be trivial to destroy or circumvent the resulting blockade.
    Cargo blocks are a nice idea and I support it.
    Repair station module is a nice idea. Also, take look at this topic.
    Currently as far as I'm aware only ships are separate from the "main" map so I don't think it's possible. Making multiple bodies separate entities is a big subject that deserves its own topic.
    Organic/nanomachine block that would fill in destroyed space sounds like a good idea.
    Energy consumption idea is not bad in itself, but I think that rather than having no storage at all, it should stay as it is, except when stored energy is too low, some systems are disabled (either prioritized by player or in a set order)
    As for shields, I don't think that shields adapting to the shape are a good idea. Spheres are much simpler mathematically and have properties that other shapes don't. I think spherical-only shields are a very good idea.
    As for collisions, I agree that collisions should hurt the blocks.
    No opinion on remaining ideas.

Reaction score
    I understand your reactions but i think that, because it's a game and what we are creating is pure fiction, we can eventually allow concepts that don't fit with the reality.
    Only for the shield, i can't agree with you. The main reason is that, while working on small ships, shields aren't shaped for large one. We want to have a single shield for the ship as multiple would alter visibility from outside and inside the ship. Secondly, having a long thin ship would have a shield very huge covering not only himself but any ship coming by that would make collisions for no real reasons with the shield. And in a battle engaging multiple capital ships, shield might become a problem quickly.
    When i say "adapt to the shape", i don't mean having a shield with the same shape but an elliptoid that adapt to the dimensions ( that can be seen from the catalog of the game ) and not go far away from it.
    And by the way,
    Well suns are stars, so shield can get their energy from it :)

Reaction score
    First off, black holes are not visible, second off, they are not wormholes and do not allow travel of any kind. If you want wormholes then make it wormholes or warp gates and not use black holes (since they don't work like this).
    first off its a game
    second of all did you once fly in one or even saw one
    no,,,,
    so how do you even know how they work

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Still, if we're gonna have things based on reality, it'd be nice if they were at least similar.
    But yeah, I see your point regarding shields although I still cannot support the idea of having them automatically adapt to the ship shape (especially as that could get pretty ugly in some corner cases).
    Perhaps have the general shape of shields configurable? Of course it would always stay an ellipsoid, but you could stretch it in any of the dimensions as long as the total volume remains constant. Possibly also make it weaker the less of a sphere it is.
    I personally like to think of shields as shields and nothing else, so I'm against the idea of using them for anything else. I still am against the idea of hiding inside a sun, but I wouldn't be against being close to them making you undetectable or something.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There's this thing called science that can tell me how stuff works.
    Black holes are matter so dense that it occupies a single infitely small point in space. The reason they are called black holes is because their mass creates an event horizon, that is, an area of gravity so strong that nothing can escape it. In other words, anything that touches a black hole becomes a part of it (though this is a gross oversimplification).
    What would allow "instant" travel through the universe is called a wormhole, but the deal about them is that we don't know if it's possible for one to exist and even if we did, we have no way of creating them.
    You are right that it is a game, but we have materials and structures based on reality, so IMO we should keep it as realistic as possible without harming the gameplay. And I do not believe that using warp gates over black holes would be a significant impairment to the gameplay.

Reaction score
    +1 on all of your ideas dude.

As I am the grammar nazi that I am, I must point out that you said "Suns".
    Sun is just the name of the star in the Milky Way, and there is only one, so I assume you meant "stars".

Reaction score
    Yeah, well i believe that in most people opinion, we can assume that sun defines a star which state is yellow dwarf.
    To support my opinion, Stargate defines "Sun" this way and uses this common name.

but you are right

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    - Laser's color: I really like this idea. Get rid of all the colored blocks and replace them with a Omni-block. I would add this as far as to user interface. You have 100 Omni-blocks you can right click and drag to grab a set number. When you do so you can edit the color and maybe some simple textures on them.
    You can ether have this happen at a store for a small price to convert Omni-blocks to "buildie blocks", or build a workshop on a station, or planet to convert them. Of course workshops will be a much latter addition I am assuming.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Customizable color omniblocks are a brilliant idea. I imagine this would allow for building generic ships that various factions, guilds, etc. to, say, have all their players have their ships in black-red or blue-orange-yellow.

Reaction score
    The omniblock is currently theoretically possible, all you have to do is make a simple change to the textures in the game and distribute to all the players on a server. In fact, I found out there's a file that determines all the prices and descriptions of the blocks, and from what I understand, you can add more blocks to the game just by editing that. If I'm wrong, you can still just customize the currently-existing hulls.

Reaction score
    What i meant in my post that we could have a window that open for any allowed block, that would able us to change his color ( in the inventary ) by adding a layer of the choosen color on the texture. ( The layer could be for example, blue with 50% opacity ). Then the added block would be colored. Thus, there is no need for a new block of any kind as it would just add to the existing ones and remove some colored hulls.

Reaction score
    I completely understand what you mean, I was just pointing out the fact that your idea is basically already possible with a little work. Now, you can ask schema how long till he adds your idea, but I assume it's going to be a while, so I just wanted to show you how you could do it now.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I spend the day analyzing the custom color textures. Here is what it comes down to:
    For every block that modifies the color, a set of data has to be sent to the graphics card. I looked into that and it would be possible with a 33% increase of graphics memory needed.
    The second point is much more impacting. Every block would have to hold that set of data in it's persistent memory (the data that is saved/loaded to disk and is permanently in the jvm memory, if a segment has been loaded). this would increase the needed data significantly, since atm a block only takes 3 bytes.
    Considering that a color change would only affect few types (like hull. It would make no sense to tint grass), I came to the conculsion, that handling colors with the existing system would be most efficient. I made a lot of space for different types (4096 in total), so adding a lot of colors for blocks that need colorization is not really a problem if each colored block gets it's own type.