Suggestions to improve my 400 mass fighter?

Reaction score
    I started it 4 days ago, and now is the time that I have to stuff the empty hull with weapon and shield systems. Before that happens I wanted to know if I should add something. Be it design or weapon related.

The ship (400ke capacity, 90ke/s) will have 4 Smart missiles (one computer with 4 times 40x40 groups), one Cannon-Beam-Overdrive (haven't figured the numbers) and maybe, if there is remaining space, some heatseekers. Also overdriven thrusters and maybe a front forcing push module.

The pt-turrets front and back have still to be designed.

Pls don't comment on obviously missing blocks like at the docking module ;)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's nice. I like it.

Two suggestions:
    1. Due to the linked weapon system, your missiles are using 30% extra energy. (Every additional weapon output increases the energy usage of the computer by 10%, unless my information is out-of-date.) My recommendation would be to use four separate missile computers. I think the lock-on remains when switching between missile computers. Then instead of firing all four at once, you fire four in a row in quick succession, manually.
    2. While I love the idea of using weapon blocks as decoration, I feel that your weapons are too exposed. I'd recommend extending the slab armor all the way along the length of all weapon block barrels. To maintain "texture" use a different color. In your case, the color scheme calls for blue, but maybe a different shade of grey (or even black) instead.

Reaction score
    Well i would recommend building ist some nice interior, like a nice cocpit.
    For systems i would add something that is used for the intended role of the craft.
    Scanners and a radar jammer are always good options.
    To minimize the "walking" way to my docked ships most of them have a small transporter so i can teleport to them.

Reaction score
    Don't bother with the heatseekers---they friendly-fire a lot. Locked-on weapons keep their locks between computers, so switching between 4 missile computers saves you a lot of energy. Make sure it's fast and shielded.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the replies guys. Feels good to know that I did some stuff good enough.
    Radar jammer comes for sure, even though I don't need it in single player jet. And I find the combat too easy with jamming in sps.
    A little scooter is allready docked at the back of the ship, even fitted with overdrive thrust and cargo blocks.
    The last thing that gets designed is the cockpit, as the whole spirit and ideas of the ship fall into this place. The ship also gets some interior like a storage room and a server room where I put my computer blocks. In the cockpit I am going to put dummy blocks.

1. Due to the linked weapon system, your missiles are using 30% extra energy. (Every additional weapon output increases the energy usage of the computer by 10%, unless my information is out-of-date.) (...)
    2. While I love the idea of using weapon blocks as decoration (...)
    That first info is very usefull, I did not know that and test it out in a separate turret next time I am in my survival world.

For the second thing: I actually love the atmosphere those blocks give more than the idea of having a 100% omptimized layout. I like the thrill, knowing that my ship can loose one missile array if it gets hit at the right place.

I am even considering putting spaces between the capazitor, shield and weapon systems to have a little bit more survival feeling. I don't know if its fun being able to inspect some systems by actually walking to them. If its not or its too tedious and weapon inefficient, then I might skipp that idea until I make a frigatte. For multiplayer combat I would build very different for sure.

heatseekers---they friendly-fire a lot.
    I wanted to only use them defensively, if I am fleeing or have a dogfight with some guy in my back. A backup weapon if there is still remaining space in the fighter.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    90k energy regen feels a little low, do you run a jammer and finally have at least a thrust to mass ratio of 1.5 for a ship you pilot or your going to get mad at yourself for crashing into stuff.

Nice looking ship too.
    Trying to finish a strip harvester myself, I always rush the end of the build because it just feels like I drags on and on

Oops only saw the T-M just now, 2.5!

Reactions: JinM
    Reaction score
    My weapons and shield setup is done. I am considering to replace the heatseekers with 2 more smart missiles. But I am not sure. How would you stuff it? It does not feel right at the moment, somehow it feels not perfectly efficient.

Trying to finish a strip harvester myself, I always rush the end of the build because it just feels like I drags on and on
    Yeah its kind of tedious if a man has to work so long for a new ship. I think about having multiple projects at once, when I have a basic set of ships in my survival world. But having a sprint at the end of a long project to finally finishing it, is somewhat good I think.

Reactions: Rumcajz

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Yeah its kind of tedious if a man has to work so long for a new ship. I think about having multiple projects at once, when I have a basic set of ships in my survival world. But having a sprint at the end of a long project to finally finishing it, is somewhat good I think.
    Eh, that's what having a shipyard is for, save a current project and start a new one, come back to the old one when you feel up to completing it.