Suggestions from the Calbiri chat

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I was watching the recent chat with Calbiri and they mentioned a few things, and I had a few ideas.

1. Dynamic lighting/ lighting up other things. They mentioned having a spotlight as a one-per-ship/station deal, but what about as a hotbar item? That prevents a player from having a game-crashingly high number, but lets you turn it on/off and have a few. Light comes from the actual "computer," and the strength comes from the number of plexlights linked to it. Those plexlights will appear dark when the spotlight is off, and if a player attempts to activate them they will activate the spotlight. For stations, you could have an option to have shadow direction for the sector.

2. Docked ship floating. They mentioned the idea of having an option to turn floating ships on and off (on a port-by-port basis) I'd want to be able to change it to 1 as well as 1/2 or 0. Also, could we have it changable by the docked item through lua scripts? So I can script my turrets to point forwards and set their float to 0 when they finish shooting, and to set their float to 1 when they detect an enemy.

3. In the first Calbiri chat, he mentioned cosmetic "plume" blocks. Are those going to be able to respond to the motion (rotation and translation) of the ship? So my fighters will have lateral and vertical thrusters firing whenever I thrust sideways/vertically or roll?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Number 2:

You know how turrets and docked ships float a half-block above the docking port? The idea is to make that adjustable.

As for not having a spotlight computer, consider trying to find one plexlight out of the 500 or so on your ship.

Reaction score
    I\'d love to have a computer to just shut off all lights. So i can have my lights on for show and off for combat/stealth.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Rather than a computer that turns all lights off, I want to make custom grouping in the structure panel, just so I can shut down my engine exhausts and nacelles when I am not using the ship

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    +1, Support

Now all of these three ideas

2: I thought you mean having a computer emit light and plex lights enhance the radius.

But this computer should then be able to toggle not only plex-lights but also Plex-doors, etc. Every activateable thing.

Reaction score
    Had a similar suggestion about light control and I think it was even mentioned by someone other during the livestream

I\'ll just insert them both here\' so they won\'t be forgotten ;)

http://star-made.org/content/add-light-controls-structure-menu-keybinds (updated)

http://star-made.org/content/keybinds-plexdoor-groups

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is what the lighting engine is like, I believe.

All lighting on other entities is done via things known as \"ray sources.\" Currently the only ray sources are stars. Adding additional ray sources would be difficult. I decided that the best way to integrate that was to have only a single block be the ray source. Having the plexlights switch on and off with the spotlight was just a cool idea, I felt.

If you want to add a block that executes scripts, that\'s cool too, but this is something you wouldn\'t want to combine with that.