[Suggestion] Warp speed

Reaction score
    Please read concentrated through this thread! It's not a simple suggestion, it contains formulas and has solution to previous problems, which other FTL-ideas had. So thank you in advance for reading my thread.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

When i was cruising through the limitless space of starmade, a small particle with a very common idea hit my brain. The possibility to travel at fast speed through space, reaching further destinations in shorter times without pushing the "w"-button for half an hour. After this blink of idea, i was driving through all previous threads suggesting similar ideas. Some were proposing Engines, bust most people wanted stationary Warp-Gates in space. I realised that most ideas had to fight with common problems. With my Idea i tried to negate most of those problems using systems and formulas. So read concentrated in order to understand the chain of thoughts.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

What i imagine:
    - You need at least 1 Block of a High-Speed Warp Engine
    - In order to travel that quick you need a 5 second cool down to end until you are ready to flight in that mode (kinda open the warp gate first)
    - If you are attacked during cooldown time, or you have a higher velocity than a certain amount (it could also be 0), the warp will be cancelled (this blocks fleeing at high speed from battles, escaping certain death or not)
    - Travelling at Warp-Speed requires a certain amount of Energy per second. So it is very energy-weighting
    - The destination is chosen through waypoints.
    - The needed amount of energy required is based on the actual mass of the ship as also the number of High Speed Engines in the ship. So in Order to fly further, you need a ship with a high energy-regeneration or a huge capacity (can be determined through ship-shapes=> long ship (more regeneration) thick ship (high capacity and maybe regeneration)).
    - During warp ships lose shields, so after reaching destination they need to recover their shield! So a good choice of destination is required
    - Reaching destination, the ship does not have a cool down of 10 seconds in order to regain shield. Shield gains instantly power again!

Activation:
    Same as for Computers

Energy Cost for opening Gate:
    Energy max to open Warp is:
    Energy=(total mass * 100 Energy)/(0.99+0.01*number of warp modules)

so if you have a corvette-class ship with a total mass of about 200 , you need 20'000 EnergyMax to open the warp (=> no need of energy-tank). so small Ships have easier ways to reach this speed and have less problems through low number of requirements.

a large ship with a mass of 50000 so needs 5million EnergyMax to open the warp (about 5000 EnergyTanks). To reduce this value, the number of engines can be increased. so having added additionally 100 Engines will reduce this value to 50% to 2.5 million energy! 200 to 33,4%, 300 to 25% and so on...

Energy during warp speed:
    Energy required during warp-speed:
    Energy/sec= thurst*mass/√(thurster)

What's the speed?
    Ships travel by 1 parsec (1 km/sec) through space until reaching destination.
    *edit: The speed could also be configured in the server.config

Is there a range?
    The actual range of jumps can be defined in the config by the server-owner. Default may be 1 solar system, so about 25 to 40 km
    *edit: another possibility may be, that the range is related to the number of FTL-Engines in the ship; the more the better (formula may be: distance in km= Engines^1.2), then of course the larger the ship the more advantage this system has and the further it can travel

Conclusion:
    So far, this is an idea which should be easy to implement. It contains easy understanding formulas and easy to program effects: energy-requirements and cost/time with the constant speed and auto piloting towards the destination.
    As i read through previous suggestions, i realised, that most ideas had problems with: small ships aren't able to use such things because of their low mass; Ships can travel limitless and so expand the universe extremely (bad for servers); ships could flee from battles; FTL ist too overpowered;...
    for most of those problems i figured out a solution. If you read through my thread you could see, that i was already thinking of that while writing it. The formulas guarantee for small ships the usage of this speed, and huge ships can have different strategies how they want to get it working (more energyMax or more Engines)(slow Ships cost much less energy/sec during flight).
    I know that my idea is not the first, that's why i concentrated on a very detailed thread not like other people that just suggested an idea of adding the new FTL-content without giving detailed informations on it. So this is no simple suggestion. I hope you appreciate my work. maybe some dev is taking some of my ideas in consideration.

that's all for now, maybe i forgot anything, so i will add it over time, or if there is a mistake i will correct it. pls report ;)
    thx for your attention
    tomorrow

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    This is a neat idea. can you add a poll though?

Reaction score
    thank you, i could add a poll, but i rather wanna add it if it gains more popularity ;) If noone reads it, it's not worth it, or isn't it ... XD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I like the idea of having an FTL engine block, however in alot of the Q&A I've been going over, it seems like they are leaning towards a different kind of Quick travel. Namely, space gates, which are like wormholes between sectors and made by players / default factions. I also have read/heard alot of, "we are going to do it... but later."

It'd be nice to have this, as currently wandering the universe, while fun, takes forever. But don't expect it anytime soon. For now though, you can always teleport from one sector to another, I've heard tell there is some lua code floating about that turns player made stargates into actual working stargates(using the teleport command I'd imagine).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the formulas.

Maybe it could be balanced more, especially with complementary warp-gate mechanics for really long distances.
    But first we need realistic distances between sun systems (differentiate between inter-planetary/stellar or interstellar travel), so we know what balance is good.

But I would like the server admins to be able to change range and speed, as some might have a max speed of 200 vs 40 on other servers.

Reaction score
    one good thing is, that if you travel with 250+ in space, the obstacles (asteroids/shops) aren't rendering quick enough, so you can pass them without hitting them.
    It seems a good idea to also be able to control speed. I'm gonna add it to the list of configurations ;) thx

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    other guys already ASKED FOR THAT please read other suggestions before POSTING another

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    Great ideas on the subject, though I still would prefer warp gates separate from ships so you can't go anywhere whenever. If it is unfortunately decided to be a ship block, do it the way described in this thread post.

Reactions: bryther
    Reaction score
    i didn't read it completely, but this is some awesome stuff you came up with. unlike other posts (including my own) are just vague suggestions. you actually made calculations.

"i know the maths"
    -tony stark

Reaction score
    Yeah this suggestion is a cool one but is old hat by now :/