Suggestion: (Space)shipyards, new group types, ship classification

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Rename: why?
    Add Shipyards: Often suggested and in the making i think.
    classifications: Depends on what Server you play. Every server has its own Config, so often the servers have theyr own Shipclasses.Like FuyB http://feedupyourbeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=584
    New group types: in my opinion it dosnt matter as long everyone knows what group or Faction means.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Rename: why?
    New group types: in my opinion it dosnt matter as long everyone knows what group or Faction means.
    I'm thinking that different group types have advantages over others, such as manufacturing groups being able to have spaceship yards and war groups only losing only half of the standard points lost when death, such as losing only 1 point instead of 2.

You just read the tl;dr, didn't you? I suggest reading the whole thing. Just 2-4 minutes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In my opinion, the suggestion seems to be partially a suggestion about how to improve player economy, and partially another plea for shipyards, which is all honesty doesn't bother me.

Reactions: BiGEdge

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    shipyard is already a planned feature :)
    there is no point in having a classification, you don't need that to make communication easier anyway

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    shipyard is already a planned feature :)
    I'm not talking about simple shipyards, I mean where you can buy and sell ships so we can make economy interesting
    there is no point in having a classification
    What if you need to make a quick desicion whether to attack or not? You can just read the class. If it was a fighter, I wouldn't mess with it. If was a transporter, I'd burn it to the ground.

Easy, right?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Suggestion 1: Naming
    From "ship" to "spaceship" just because it sounds better and more accurate
    Given the entire and absolute lack of any other kinds of ships in StartMade (I have yet to see any boats, or water for that matter), there isn't any real need for the accuracy of the term spaceship. I also strongly disagree that it sounds better, either phonetically or practically. Also, good luck getting any kind of renaming of ships to be used in the common vocabulary of the community.

From "faction" to "group" because the word "faction" is mostly related to war.
    Where are you getting this faction = war idea from? In my experience the term faction has mostly been used in regards to politics and/or political parties. Nobody was calling it the "Axis" faction in world war two...
    Heck even the definition doesn't even mention war, let alone conflict:
    fac·tion1
    ˈfakSH(ə)n/
    noun
    1. a group or clique within a larger group, party, government, organization, or the like:
    And really... Group? I'm pretty sure you couldn't have picked a vaguer term if you tried, not to mention this would have a terminology conflict with system and weapon groups, which could lead to some confusion.

From "blueprint" to "plan" because blueprints are SO 20th century.
    You almost have a point here, but I doubt that anyone is having a huge issue with this term. Also it is fairly common for many terms for certain things to be adapted for modern use, even after the original object or technique has long since been outdated. For instance the term blueprint is more or less still commonly used for achitectural schematics, which are being blueprinted less and less nowadays iirc.

And again with the super vague and boring term as a replacement. Maybe Schematic (which was probably already considered and rejected in favor of blueprint due to it being similar to Schema's name I guess).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have 2 horrible excuses that I came up reading this:
    1. English isn't my first language.
    2. Check the other definition for faction: a state of conflict within an organization; dissension.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I have 2 horrible excuses that I came up reading this:
    1. English isn't my first language.
    2. Check the other definition for faction: a state of conflict within an organization; dissension.
    But a state of conflict within an organization isn't war either. Well you could perhaps make an argument for civil war, but that is hardly relevant in this case.

And my apologies for getting on your case when English isn't your first language.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    But a state of conflict within an organization isn't war either. Well you could perhaps make an argument for civil war, but that is hardly relevant in this case.

And my apologies for getting on your case when English isn't your first language.
    Nice to learn something everyday, you know.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Renaming; why? It'd just confuse everyone.
    Shipyards; suggestion #172728
    Classification; Blood has already been shed over this, the general consensus is that people can call their ships what ever the f*** they want.

Use the search button next time :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    that moment when you already know all the holes and mistakes in your suggestion but people are still talking about it

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    that moment when you already know all the holes and mistakes in your suggestion but people are still talking about it
    Then why post it if you knew that it was like suggestive swiss cheese?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Realized it after 2 hours.
    Ah alright. Good suggestion structure btw, even if the suggestion was filled with holes, like you said, it's still better than all those super vague two line suggestions out there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Ah alright. Good suggestion structure btw, even if the suggestion was filled with holes, like you said, it's still better than all those super vague two line suggestions out there.
    I'll take that as a compliment. Better start working on a 1000 word essay of suggestions which will probably be pointless.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Suggestion 2: Spaceship Classification
    Civilian ships should only have so many weapons that they can punish pirates for attacking them (=beating 1/3 or 1/4 weight in pirates).
    (NOTE: Pirates usually are not high-tech but rely on numbers and opportunity, thus this should not be too hard)​
    Civilian ships should usually not use high-alpha weaponry. Perhaps 1/2..1/3 their weapons could be high-alpha, 1/2 for defence of smaller stuff)

But there might also be "Civilians" with more weapons - like fanatics, paranoid, ... (may be useful later for NPC AI)

Purpose-Ships should only have <20% of their free-choice mass dedicated to stuff not useful for their purpose.
    Free-choice means: If RP says you need 5 hull per system-block => 16% system blocks, 20% is about 3% of total mass.​

Boat / Shuttle / Fighter : Everything with just a man's height at the highest point (interior of decks summed up).

Fighters : require a mother-ship nearby. Their life-support or comfort should be low (<1/2 crew of a shuttle).
    Shuttle : more independent from mother-ships, a crew of at least 4 and equal guns compared to a fighter.
    Ship : Everything with 2 full decks, partially a 3rd to make the distinction to boats more clear.

Perhaps there might be other guides and this certainly doesn't declare everything ...
    ... but the above is meant to fit most servers, independent on play-style.​

EDIT: If they gonna rename Blueprints, I hope they name it "Designs" or "Drafts" :p