[Suggestion] Sensor block functions expended

Would you like to see this added?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    Just some idea's for the sensor block and the motivation for them:
    • Inverted mode - When this is enabled the sensor block will work inverted so not >= but <=.
      • This would be really useful to detect when something is below, let's say, 25% and trigger logic based on this
    • More advanced compared mode - Compare the state between two blocks, emit HIGH signal when they are equal and LOW signal when they are not. (Opposite when inverted)
      • This would be really useful for comparing cargo for example, compare if the contents are the same. This would be really useful in automated factories for detecting if the required ingredients are there.
    • Maybe a GUI, because if you want to check if a storage contains one hull block (0.1 mass == 0.1 % in cargo block) you have to place 1000 activation blocks and have only 1 turned on to detect it.
    • Connect to weapon/tool blocks to detect when they are used and for how much % they are charged. For example for detecting how much the jump drive is charged.
    • Connect to rail to detect speed of docked entity moving over the connected rail.
    • Connect to turret axis/rotation rail to detect the amount of rotation.
    Another idea is a special sensor block which works the other way around.
    This one can be connected to the same blocks as the normal one but instead of reading from connected activation blocks it sets them for a certain percentage closest to the measured percentage.
    This will have to be done in a certain order like closest activation block is 0% and furthest is 100%

Reactions: Stripes
    Reaction score
    The first suggestion can already be done with a not block attached to the activation module on top of the sensor.

Second can be done with an and block and 2 sensors.

Micro managing that .1% cargo really isn't necessary or useful..

Detecting percent of rail rotation... I can't think of a single thing that would be useful for... Same with rail speed....

And sending signals to multiple blocks depending on percent can also be done already using multiple sensors attached to the same thing. My large jump drive updates me at 0%, 25%, 50% and 99.8% (where it holds until given command from the bridge)

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I agree to all the suggestions, Useful for logistics.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Inverted mode - When this is enabled the sensor block will work inverted so not >= but <=
    This would be really useful to detect when something is below, let's say, 25% and trigger logic based on this
    This can be done Just add a not block.

More advanced compared mode - Compare the state between two blocks, emit HIGH signal when they are equal and LOW signal when they are not. (Opposite when inverted)
    Can do already with and and gate.

This would be really useful for comparing cargo for example, compare if the contents are the same. This would be really useful in automated factories for detecting if the required ingredients are there.
    • Maybe a GUI, because if you want to check if a storage contains one hull block (0.1 mass == 0.1 % in cargo block) you have to place 1000 activation blocks and have only 1 turned on to detect it.
    I have to agree with @Leviarth on this one. I don't actually think its useful

Connect to weapon/tool blocks to detect when they are used and for how much % they are charged. For example for detecting how much the jump drive is charged.
    This would be useful

Connect to rail to detect speed of docked entity moving over the connected rail.
    Cool but I'm not sure its useful

Connect to turret axis/rotation rail to detect the amount of rotation.
    I want this one a lot.

Another idea is a special sensor block which works the other way around.
    This one can be connected to the same blocks as the normal one but instead of reading from connected activation blocks it sets them for a certain percentage closest to the measured percentage.
    This will have to be done in a certain order like closest activation block is 0% and furthest is 100%
    I like this, but I 'm not sure its as useful as you'd think.

Reaction score
    The first suggestion can already be done with a not block attached to the activation module on top of the sensor.

Second can be done with an and block and 2 sensors.

Micro managing that .1% cargo really isn't necessary or useful..

Detecting percent of rail rotation... I can't think of a single thing that would be useful for... Same with rail speed....

And sending signals to multiple blocks depending on percent can also be done already using multiple sensors attached to the same thing. My large jump drive updates me at 0%, 25%, 50% and 99.8% (where it holds until given command from the bridge)
    This can be done Just add a not block.

Can do already with and and gate.

I have to agree with @Leviarth on this one. I don't actually think its useful

This would be useful

Cool but I'm not sure its useful

I want this one a lot.

I like this, but I 'm not sure its as useful as you'd think.
    How would you compare the contents of two cargo's? You can't do that yet, can you?
    I know you can compare the state of two blocks by measuring the percentages but that's not really comparing when equal.
    What if I want to emit a signal when both of my jump drives are charged to exactly 75%?
    one of them can be 76% while the other is 89% charged and I will still get a high signal from the AND. 76% is not equal to 89%

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    How would you compare the contents of two cargo's?
    In essence it would be nice to just compare if the items in both are equal but you really want something like the cargo block but without having to need physical items.

You can't do that yet, can you?
    Nope I don't think so.

I know you can compare the state of two blocks by measuring the percentages but that's not really comparing when equal.
    What if I want to emit a signal when both of my jump drives are charged to exactly 75%?
    one of them can be 76% while the other is 89% charged and I will still get a high signal from the AND. 76% is not equal to 89%
    This seems really picky for exact moments on a ship. Someone suggested like a 10x, and 100x block activator. I'd rather have that solution.

Reaction score
    How would you compare the contents of two cargo's? You can't do that yet, can you?
    And yes you can read cargos they are at the top of the list of things the sensor can read. It would be a lot of logic but yes it can be done.

25 sensor blocks connected with 19 active with an and as well as a not connected to one with 3/4 of them would give you at least 75% not greater than 76%