Suggestion for (Oh God) Big Ship Vs Small Ship.

Reaction score
    This is just something I came up with off the top of my head so don't rage, Perhaps the faster you go the harder it is to manuever i.e. turning, changing direction etc Small ships wouldn't be as affected by this but the fact that they slow down to turn could give the turrets on your capital ship some small chance to hit them, promoting the use of strafe runs by smaller ships.

On the other side of the equation we would have capital ships maintaining a lower average cruising speed to keep some manueverability, and so we wouldn't see big capital ships zipping around the galaxy at max speed.

As I said I came up with this off the top of my head so don't spam this particular area of the post with posts along the lines of, "I Don't want to lose what little manueverability I had in my titan," or " but manueverability was the only edge small ships had on big ships"- It is limiting the manueverability while moving not removing it completely, you would still be able to turn just not as fast as at a full stop.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea of this, the mauneverablility is limited by size, mass, etc. But I think in order to do this we either need a more to scale speed system (complicated route) or a heightened speed limit. I know you can already raise the speed limit but it should be higher by default. Bump this.

Reaction score
    It wasn\'t an immediate implementation post, I\'m just fed up of the arguments over it.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I feel like this will make capital ships even more powerful and fighters even weaker which isn\'t a good thing.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the feedback, it\'s nowhere near a perfect idea.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    It is a good concept though.. Just doesn\'t help with the current problems we are facing in game

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    how about:

let the server\'s speed limit affect the front/back block.

If big ships turn at full speed, the block in their back would move faster than the limit, thus the turn speed is limited by this fact.

Reaction score
    it is a simple way to implement the OP because larger ships, due to leverage, would be affected more by this. the calculations might be a bit complicated, but would be relatively easy to get. however, thrust to mass ratio should have an effect.

Reaction score
    remember that every extra thruster on that ship is more power consumption, and less room for other systems. also, mor ship systems are more mass, requiring more thrusters, then even more power. also, exposed surface area of the thrusters should have an effect. this will help ensure that small ships have the maneuverability advantage they deserve because any object, as it increases in size, reduces in surface area relative to volume.

Reaction score
    In my opinion, larger ships should have a greater max speed (because they have more overall thrusters,) but smaller ships should have the greater acceleration.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    the calculations might be a bit complicated

(( result= SPEED_LIMIT /(ship.axis1^2+ship.axis2^2)^0.5 ))^x.x + ((result *speed/mass))^y.y

this will help ensure that small ships have the maneuverability advantage they deserve because any object, as it increases in size, reduces in surface area relative to volume.

Both together = Best idea how to balance.

But I guess peoples will complain about thrusters looking ugly :)

In my opinion, larger ships should have a greater max speed (because they have more overall thrusters,) but smaller ships should have the greater acceleration.

Still possible. Build a flat disk and thrusters on bottom/top.