Suggestion for Magnetic Couplings

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello Starmade Developers and Players!

Today I would like to propose a new block type, Magnetic Couplings.

Many of us have noted the issues that can be had when attempting to use Docking Modules with larger ships and though I do enjoy the current docking process, it is really only suited for smaller ships nestling into larger ships and ships being placed in hanger type configurations.

I originally wanted to have a docking gangplank/arm/tunnel that would line up block to block with the airlock I created on my ship, but after struggling with the current docking modules I realized that this is nearly impossible. Note: I did get it to work manually by some rather slow and tricky piloting to correctly orient and align my ships airlock with the docking gangplank/arm/tunnel, but it is far from effective.

A potential solution to this would be to add a Magnetic Coupling block and Magnetic Coupling Computer to the game. These blocks would use a different process then the docking modules but could offer a much wider range of configurations and docking types.

The way I would propose Magnetic Couplings functioning would be as such:

Magnetic Coupling is a single block that has a C, V key linking similar to how you link targeting computers with weapons. With these blocks you would enter Build mode on your space station, place a Magnetic Coupling block on the end of your gangplank/arm/tunnel then enter build mode on your ship and place a second Magnetic Coupling block on your ship in a position where you would like the two blocks to join. X, Y, Z orientation would be important so that the blocks know which direction to attach to one another.

You would then press C on one of the Magnetic Coupling blocks and then V on the other and vice-versa. Next, place a Magnetic Coupling Computer on your ship and press C on it, then link it to the Magnetic Coupling block that is attached to the ship with V.

In this configuration, we now have the two Magnetic Coupling blocks linked to each other, and the Magnetic Coupling Computer linked to the Magnetic Coupling block on the ship (not the one on the station). You could then assign the Magnetic Coupling Computer via the Weapons window to a 1-9 hotkey (just like other weapons).

The Magnetic Coupling computer would then act as a switch to engage or disengage the Magnetic Lock. The system should only allow you to couple the blocks if they are within a set range, such as within 6 blocks in the X, Y, Z axis. So that if you activate the Magnetic Coupling Computer with the two Magnet Coupling blocks within 6 empty block spaces from each other, they will engage and pull the ship to the stations Coupling and lock them together. Similarly, the Magnetic Coupling Computer could be placed on the Space Station and have an operator that engages it from the station pulling the ship that is nearby to a magnetic lock.

This would allow for complex docking layouts and even ship to ship coupling and would be an addition to, not a replacement for, the current Docking Modules.

EDIT: Response to Charlie_'s well made point added below for easy reading.

Follow up:

I completely see what you mean and thought about those limitations myself.

Another method would be to only link the Computer and Magnetic Coupling on the ship itself and have the Station Magnetic Coupling blocks be a completely seperate entity.

With this method, it wouldn't matter what ship is docking so long as it meets the guidelines of being within the limited range of open blocks and pass a clipping/collision check. So long as it is within the proposed 6 blocks and the coupling would not cause a clipping/collision issue, then the two would join.

Something that would assist with this is if you could name the Space Station based Magnetic Couplings, such as "Dock A." This way when you are within range of the Space Station Magnetic Coupling with a ship outfitted with the Magnetic Coupling block and Computer, you would see an onscreen prompt of "Dock A is in range."

This would give the pilot a visual indication that they are within range and to begin the coupling process from their weapon hotkey.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    this is exactly what i have been wanting.This and landing struts and the landing mechanics would be perfet

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d love this kind of mechanic, and it\'s one I\'ve actually notcomplained about it reapearing periodically in the boards yet...

And what\'s more! You actually proposed an approach as to how to do it! Which is great, everyone should do that in their suggestions rather than spit requests.

However, I think this particular approach isn\'t the best or most viable method, and here\'s why:

You\'re talking about linking two blocks from different objects.

And that\'s just asking for game crashes and bugs. You have the right idea with the placement of designed attachment blocks, which I think is the way to go. However, linking the blocks in the simlar way modules are assigned to computers would be pretty hap hazard: This thing couldn\'t be used to dock a ship on other \"magnetic docks\" without manual re-assignment. The same goes with the actual dock: it\'s linked with this particular ship and therefore unsuable by any other. And that\'s not only for the ship\'s design, we\'re talking this particular ship object. How far should the range stretch? When the dockports gets destroyed, likely too far for the docking station to be even loaded into the game at the time, how does it \"disconnects\". Etc.

As I said, you have the right idea, and I second having designated docking or attachment points. But using the C/V methods isn\'t the right way to do this in my opinion.

Reaction score
    Perhaps rather than the linking, the blocks just attach to any magnetic couplings on the dock.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I completely see what you mean and thought about those limitations myself.

Another method would be to only link the Computer and Magnetic Coupling on the ship itself and have the Station Magnetic Coupling blocks be a completely seperate entity.

With this method, it wouldn\'t matter what ship is docking so long as it meets the guidelines of being within the limited range of open blocks and pass a clipping/collision check. So long as it is within the proposed 6 blocks and the coupling would not cause a clipping/collision issue, then the two would join.

Something that would assist with this is if you could name the Space Station based Magnetic Couplings, such as \"Dock A.\" This way when you are within range of the Space Station Magnetic Coupling with a ship outfitted with the Magnetic Coupling block and Computer, you would see an onscreen prompt of \"Dock A is in range.\"

This would give the pilot a visual indication that they are within range and to begin the coupling process from their weapon hotkey.

Reaction score
    Perhaps instead of orientation being important, you actually make orientation irrelevant.

For example, if you have 1 coupling on each ship that connect, they will connect but they would be able to pivot, whereas if you use 2 coupolings - both connected to 1 computer - then the 2 would line up and prevent rotation. (A perfect lock for your scenario)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You mean like, two layers connected, but able to rotate? That\'d actually be really good.... And far more efficient than some turrets >>