Read by Council Suggestion: Basic, Standard & Advanced Ship Core

Reaction score
    Throwing it out there guys

TL;DR Ship cores work based on mass of ship, system slots i.e. scanner, salvage, cannons etc.

Considerations

Basic ship core has 3 system slots
    Standard ship core has 6 system slots
    Advanced ship core has 9 system slots

Ship cores work up to a mass of *dev number crunching figure*, above that figure require next level core

Ship systems are used in regular way, though the utility slot gives a slight performance & reduces mass compared to normal placement.

Over to you guys

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Question; Why?
    From the sounds of it, "system" means any form of computer, which is actually a hell of a lot more limiting than any mass limitations.

Like really, 3 systems is like fighters. There also seems to be no reason to not just use the advanced core. Even if it's more expensive, I see no reason to use anything other than that for anything but a drone.
    There's also the problem of mass limits and the chance that ships would end up bigger than expected.

There doesnt really seem to be any point to this, save for trying to enforce a uniform classing system maybe?

Reaction score
    Hi!

I'm not entirely sure if there's any merit to the suggestion myself, it was something I began thinking of so posted it to chew out the pro's & cons of the idea, that's why I included the tl;dr.

I kind of agree with your final point though. Not so much the class system, though that may be worthy of discussion, so much as ship mass. Essentially it's the same idea as factory blocks, bigger ships, larger mass, more systems all require an appropriate infrastructure to work. So your titan would require all three cores to function, your miner first two, same as perhaps a fighter, whereas shuttles, scooters and runabouts need that basic core.

It's just a thought, I'm not suggesting it's practical, viable or so on, just something to chew over.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Throwing it out there guys

TL;DR Ship cores work based on mass of ship, system slots i.e. scanner, salvage, cannons etc.

Considerations

Basic ship core has 3 system slots
    Standard ship core has 6 system slots
    Advanced ship core has 9 system slots

Ship cores work up to a mass of *dev number crunching figure*, above that figure require next level core

Ship systems are used in regular way, though the utility slot gives a slight performance & reduces mass compared to normal placement.

Over to you guys
    No

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, it's interesting from a Crew station standport, like you need X number of crew to run Y number of systems, and each crew needs a station to work at to enable the systems, which say Players/AI being able to do 5 systems with just a core, so as to keep drones and turrets living.

Reactions: Nexusdog
    Reaction score
    Oooh, see now I hadn't thought of that at all, that's an interesting idea! Makes the NPC even more useful, multiple NPCs being essential for bigger ships. That, I like.

Going back to the original point, I remember thinking smaller ships have more compact systems - compare desktop computers to a laptop for instance. I think that's where the idea of the utility slots germinated from - you still get the primary functions, it just reduces the block size/count in a more appropriate way maybe.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455815368,1455815275][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thank you for your succinct input, it was appreciated.

Reaction score
    I really don't see this adding to the game in any meaningful way. We already have a method of limiting what a ship can/can't have, namely that you can only fit in so much without making a ship bigger. It just makes it more complicated to make a ship with no real pay off to that complexity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Oooh, see now I hadn't thought of that at all, that's an interesting idea! Makes the NPC even more useful, multiple NPCs being essential for bigger ships. That, I like.

Going back to the original point, I remember thinking smaller ships have more compact systems - compare desktop computers to a laptop for instance. I think that's where the idea of the utility slots germinated from - you still get the primary functions, it just reduces the block size/count in a more appropriate way maybe.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455815368,1455815275][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you for your succinct input, it was appreciated.
    It was short because I couldn't at the time come up with a way of being more detailed without coming off sounding rude.

The ships core isn't the systems computers, it isn't the primary power system so there is no real reason it would have a low limit to the number of systems. The best analogy to describe it is a control terminal or a computer connected on a network to other systems. In which case even an 8bit atary 800xl or commodore 64 has more power than what you suggest. Even a trs-80 had more capability.

What core do you think everyone is going to build to? My guess is 99% of the time players are going to simply end up building advanced cores. Which means the rest are pointless.

Limiting the number of systems on a ship. Well you may as well go and play a game that has pre-built ships and hard points if you are going to start doing that.

Reaction score
    I really don't see this adding to the game in any meaningful way. We already have a method of limiting what a ship can/can't have, namely that you can only fit in so much without making a ship bigger. It just makes it more complicated to make a ship with no real pay off to that complexity.
    No matter the size or complexity of your ship, every component is a 1x1 block. So, if you want to create a fighter, the relative scale will be off due to component size; your fighter will be a tub of lard and at a disadvantage compared to a titan which can comfortably accommodate a 1x1 component into it's build. You want to compress a lot of systems into a small package, essentially.

Now, if blocks are multi-functional, it's going to get messy as you say. I was pondering the usefulness of radial menus instead of menu boxes everywhere, contextualized for the component in question, or indeed interacting with NPCs.

And I agree with your point about the complexity, but I'm enjoying the input so thanks for replying.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455818470,1455817816][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It was short because I couldn't at the time come up with a way of being more detailed without coming off sounding rude.
    I'll be honest, it still sounds rude. Sorry.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain however what I feel is dismissal, and my making a pointless contribution.

I dread contributing on the forums as I perceive a clique of players who are smarter or have played longer than I have and making suggestions will be either dismissed or ridiculed rather than engaged and discussed. I can't get my head round logic and power structures baffle me so I my contribution is limited to suggestions, which to be honest are more query/question orientated.

I hope I've managed to convey how it feels as a new player when contributing and receiving a reply, while not necessarily demeaning, could perhaps benefit from a little more thought or understanding the viewpoint of another person.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    No matter the size or complexity of your ship, every component is a 1x1 block. So, if you want to create a fighter, the relative scale will be off due to component size; your fighter will be a tub of lard and at a disadvantage compared to a titan which can comfortably accommodate a 1x1 component into it's build. You want to compress a lot of systems into a small package, essentially.

Now, if blocks are multi-functional, it's going to get messy as you say. I was pondering the usefulness of radial menus instead of menu boxes everywhere, contextualized for the component in question, or indeed interacting with NPCs.

And I agree with your point about the complexity, but I'm enjoying the input so thanks for replying.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455818470,1455817816][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'll be honest, it still sounds rude. Sorry.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain however what I feel is dismissal, and my making a pointless contribution.

I dread contributing on the forums as I perceive a clique of players who are smarter or have played longer than I have and making suggestions will be either dismissed or ridiculed rather than engaged and discussed. I can't get my head round logic and power structures baffle me so I my contribution is limited to suggestions, which to be honest are more query/question orientated.

I hope I've managed to convey how it feels as a new player when contributing and receiving a reply, while not necessarily demeaning, could perhaps benefit from a little more thought or understanding the viewpoint of another person.
    What you are feeling is something that is quite common when people put their ideas out there for others to comment on or scrutinize.
    Which is probably why so few people actually do. Its something that has to be over come.

If you look on here you can see that I have had a fair number of times I said stuff and people kicked holes in it. It goes with the territory of being bold enough to actually put your idea forward. There are far more people who will read a forum and not post an idea than those who actually do post an idea or though.

It also wasn't wasted. While this may not have gone over as well as you wanted. You learned something from it what issues people have with it. Nothing is stopping you from taking the idea and modifying it and coming up with an improved suggestion.

The other aspect is how much of a role or will the role change of the ships core. If I remember correctly there was something about captain chairs. Also you will have crew and command systems coming in that are changes. It might be good to look at what those changes are going to do to the ships cores role.

And so you know when I dismiss you I simply don't post at all on it unless a posted gets ridiculous stupid support for some reason.

Also there is the ability to look at what other threads and using the threads to create a new suggestion may provide a better suggestion.

Such as there is a thread up currently on someone wanting module component swapping. There was also several over time talking about having module more permanent or better anchored in the ship. Now you have the 3 modules listed. Add the ability of SE to swap from station to ship and you could come up with a major solution to all of them.
    Add to terms hard-dock and soft-docking. Soft docking being that you are docked and held on by the docker alone. Hard-docking the module becomes essentially part of the ship until docked at a space port where it can revert to a soft dock. The big difference being that if the soft-dock is destroyed the module can break away from the ship if the hard-dock is destroyed the module remains connected.
    Then add in the ability of the SE to ships cores and you could make a ship that can be moved to a location and then used as a base when needed else ware it can move. It would fit in with the nomadic space theme some want.

The point is don't get discouraged. If you want to work on what I just commented on feel free and post it as your own. I'm sure you can flesh it out.

Reaction score
    What you are feeling is something that is quite common when people put their ideas out there for others to comment on or scrutinize. SNIP
    I know you're trying to help and I appreciate your extensive reply but to be honest now I feel patronized.

Sorry, but that's how it feels from this side.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I know you're trying to help and I appreciate your extensive reply but to be honest now I feel patronized.

Sorry, but that's how it feels from this side.
    Honestly, I don't get where you have the perception there is a superiority issue on here. We are all learning even the devs are learning.

Reaction score
    Honestly, I don't get where you have the perception there is a superiority issue on here. We are all learning even the devs are learning.
    I feel this isn't the place for a further discussion on this. It's probably best if we stop this here as it's gone off topic far too much.

Reaction score
    Im with GR's stance on this, its extremely limiting.

As ive said in many other posts, devs dont want to set limits/classes on ships. This stuff comes up all the time as players get rolled by a titan then question why their 100m ship couldnt take it head on... so they come up with ways to break those who make larger ships.

If your idea was added, the biggest ships would be limited to 2 weapon systems with secondary and effect, jumpdrive, scanner and 1 other. Pretty much forces players to use turrets to get more weapons.

Also as the core has to be the first block to be placed and last to be removed, what happens when you hit the limit when your nearly done building? As you cant remove the core and upgrade it to the next level to finish your build.

I make 200m ships and id easily fit in your advanced core slot, anyone bigger and uses logic(can use up system slots) will be heavily penalized under the above idea.