Suggested turn speed implementations

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    Okay, let's say your 500m/10k mass ship has a 2 to 1 thrust/mass ratio. the incoming opponent is also 500m/10k mass and has a 1 to 2 thrust/mass ratio. You enter a the fight, andyou strafe and fire at him. He stays in place and turns to fire on you. No matter how hard you try you can't turn quickly enough to match your strafing speed. as a result, if your crosshairs can hit him, his can hit you. In the end your mobility is rendered useless and his ship quickly slices through your ship's defenses and destroys it.

This is a result of all the iterations of turn speed I've experienced thus far, and I think there needs to be change to this. Currently, turn speed ignores thrust and only factors in dimension and thrust. It makes having "excess" of thrusters not particularly useful in a large ship. This doesn't approximate single-mass physics accurately enough for the purposes of design. Logically, more thrust enables more manuverability including the turn axis (more force=faster acceleration whether linear or angular), and this should be reflected in the mechanics of the game.

Reaction score
    Yes it makes absolutely no sense and the idea of adding turn blocks makes it works since it would be limited to rich guys which want an ovp capital.

I think applying the same rules to turning speed (actual turning speed in Km/h)as to acceleration would have some great side effects aswell:

1.No whining about to less turning speed since you can slap an enormous amount of thrusters on your ship

2Still balanced because the thrust/mass ratio sinks on big ships

3No pulling of your cursor against the Invisible Turn Barrier (thats just annoying)

4Turning a capital wouldnt be impossible

Additional if the ship is accelerated along his rotational axis It might get way faster than intended and has to slow down.Meaning if you spin too mutch you will need a while before you stop spinning and might skip your target.

Of course 20/1 thrust/mass ships would be able to turn incredible fast no matter if it is a capital or a fighter but thats something deserved I think

Reaction score
    the turn speed limits are making my atack tactics so much better and my defencive abilatys are hinderd so little that it is not efecting me alot i like this change it makes groops more powerfull and one lone person week

it makes having small fighters about and mid sised ships to protect you biger ships it gives a use to alot more ships then just bild the bigest one you can and be boss making fractons and turents more importent

Reaction score
    +1 adding a block for increase the turn rate ? if yes make it have a small % of efficiency because if you made a new block for increase the turn speed per mass some people try to build massive block of him :/ or just modify the calculation of turn rate base on the mass/trust.

But thruster don\'t be the main argument in the calculation because if a ratio of 100 mass / 200 thrust you obtain a great turn rate so that need a multiplier ?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    What I mean is:

Turn rate being determined by including mass and dimension is incomplete. It should be determined by including mass, dimension, AND thrust. I do not in any way support the notion of making turn rate a matter of thrust-mass ratio alone because the nature of rotation includes dimension.
    Example experiment about angular inertia: get a rod of any sort and some clay. make the clay once big ball near the center. hold the rod/ball in the middle and spin the rod along the center. split the ball into two clay balls and place them at the ends of the rod. repeat the spinning. which one is harder to start spinning? this is why dimension and mass is important. while the thrust of your hand remains the same, and the mass, the dimension of the mass is changing, causing differences in the maximum angular acceleration achievable.