Suddenly Sentient Ships

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    I'm accustomed to seeing Pirates and Trade Guild ships, with their respective faction tags. Although occasionally some randomly-named NPC ship will fly in, approach/touch another ship that doesn't have a pilot, and then BOTH ships start moving around, eventually BOTH flying off.

What is this?

Is there any way for admins to trigger unattended faction ships to do this? This would be quite a creative way to cleanup crowded protected sectors, where pilots couldn't be bothered to dock before leaving their ship.

Reactions: jayman38

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I'm accustomed to seeing Pirates and Trade Guild ships, with their respective faction tags. Although occasionally some randomly-named NPC ship will fly in, approach/touch another ship that doesn't have a pilot, and then BOTH ships start moving around, eventually BOTH flying off.

What is this?

Is there any way for admins to trigger unattended faction ships to do this? This would be quite a creative way to cleanup crowded protected sectors, where pilots couldn't be bothered to dock before leaving their ship.
    Wut

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9

What is this?

Doubtful.

Here's what probably happened. Either some randomly-named PLAYER ship flew in, approached/touched another ship that didn't have a pilot, DROPPED OFF A PILOT and then BOTH ships started moving around, and eventually BOTH flew off.

...or an ADMIN flew in pressed TAB+F8 and took control of BOTH ships and flew BOTH of them off.

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    Doubtful.

Here's what probably happened. Either some randomly-named PLAYER ship flew in, approached/touched another ship that didn't have a pilot, DROPPED OFF A PILOT and then BOTH ships started moving around, and eventually BOTH flew off.

...or an ADMIN flew in pressed TAB+F8 and took control of BOTH ships and flew BOTH of them off.
    Nope.

I'm the admin on the server I observed this on, and no other pilots were online at the time.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Nope.

I'm the admin on the server I observed this on, and no other pilots were online at the time.
    Well, that's definitely different. Sorry about that.

Could they have been bobby AI attacking a distant target?
    A malfunctioning fleet perhaps?

Reaction score
    Did the 2nd ship take fire from the first? If its shields dropped and it took hull damage, even unfactioned, neutral ships will begin assaulting the attacking vessel, immediately. Other than that, Idk.

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    I never saw either ship fire upon the other, and the sector was protected.

Considering comments on this observation, I'm now wondering if this is a simple as both ships already being an NPC wave, but one was simply sitting idle for an extended period of time.

Reaction score
    The first was probably just idle, then went with the second. Possibly a wave glitch.