Read by Council Subtle changes

TBB

Reaction score
    I thought it would be nice if there was a thread with some suggestions about some simple and subtle changes that would create an atmosphere when you're playing the game. Possibly in specific situations.

I myself don't really have many suggestions, but today I was testing my near final fighter with some ambient space sounds in the background and I felt this vibe which made think of ways to enhance it, since this was literally the first time ever this game didn't feel like a tech demo in about 2-3 years. That's why I made this thread in the first place.

What I would like to see in this game whenever schema decides to move on from the technical stuff is camera shake. I play Assetto Corsa (racing sim) and I've noticed that I really liked the camera shake, that I didn't really notice until I went in the settings. Same with cockpit views in space ships whenever I see a video. This of course would be tied on speed and 100% shake = 100% server speed. Camera shake could also be present during warping, but how I would like to see this happen is by stopping the shake in-warp and abruptly kick in again at exit. Whenever sounds would be a thing some interior cockpit sounds could be tied to the shake as well.

I think it's obvious that suggestions about sounds/ambient don't have to be made. My head would explode if this game would be finished without sounds because people didn't think of it...

I don't know if this thread will go anywhere as I can think of no other way to improve on the feel of this game besides the sounds and camera shake, but it's lacking so I'm assuming that I'm just not that creative at the moment to think of anything else.

Reactions: Exozen and Valck
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Camera shake? Never, not a chance.
    This isn't Hydro Thunder, it's a space sandbox. No reason to even give people the option of inflicting vertigo on themselves.

Yes, sound is planned, and there are many threads you can check out about it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Camera shake and concussive sounds when being hit by a missile would definitely help realism. It makes sense that a high powered explosion against a ships hull would reverberate through the structure.

TBB

Reaction score
    I don't see why not. It speaks for itself that you can adjust the shake or turn it off to so why not? It's not like motion blur or lens flare...

Reaction score
    I like the idea of camera shake during violent events (Powerful weapon hits, warhead detonations, firing a weapon that is huge compared to your vessel [High % of your ship invested into one weapon system], atmospheric reentry, exiting warp, that sort of thing)

Not travel, though. No point in having the camera shake---there's nothing to vibrate your spaceship much in the vacuum. If you want the camera-shaking thrill, go fly through some atmospheres.

TBB

Reaction score
    Not travel, though. No point in having the camera shake---there's nothing to vibrate your spaceship much in the vacuum. If you want the camera-shaking thrill, go fly through some atmospheres.
    Good point
    [DOUBLEPOST=1465129941,1465129708][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hud shake could work, but not camera shake.
    Of course. I don't think you would notice anything any ways if the camera shakes but the hud is stationary except for when you look in 3rd person.