Structure tab: Turret realignment?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I had just thought of a ship design, sitting here on my lunch break, that would have turrets that resembled crab legs, that docked in the back, and had another turret dock on the end of the leg, so it would be segmented as such, with whatever weapon on the last "leg". In my head, the turrets would swivel out and flail around to aim at whatever ship I had targeted, (right now I'm not even sure that you can chain dock a turret to another turret, but as I am at work, I dunno.) though I don't think there's any way to go into the structure tab and re-align turrets to the start position, without having to switch over to every turret and do it manually. With the design that popped into my head, there would be 18 turret 'segments' I would have to essentially scroll through and fold back up by hand, so yea. It would be nice if the turrets would return to a 'resting' position after they're done firing, so you don't have your deck gun hanging limp off the port side until you run across another pirate.
    Maybe this one should have been in the suggestion section, I dunno, but I'd like to get everyone's 2 cents in on this anyway. :)

Reactions: BDLS

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    When you chain dock, you can not control the chain-docked items :u
    Like if you dock a ship to a carrier, you can tell that ship to undock and whatnot, but you have no control over that ship's turrets unless you switch to it.

Apparently there is a way to reset turret position, but it never bloody works e- e for me anyways.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, a timer that resets turrets to default resting position like 10 seconds or so after they are out of "aggro mode" would be swell.

On a similar note, it would be REALLY awesome if your AI ships would have a similar reset function, except they return to the same coordinates they were at when they started aggroing an enemy target.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    When you chain dock, you can not control the chain-docked items :u
    Like if you dock a ship to a carrier, you can tell that ship to undock and whatnot, but you have no control over that ship's turrets unless you switch to it.
    Well, I'd just have to play around with it to see what bizarre combinations of docking and AI that would do anything useful. It probably doesn't work like this, but I would maybe stretch my imagination to believe that if all the AI were set to fire on my current target, instead of target any... the first segment would select the target I selected.. would the next segment in line thereby select the target of the parent entity? Or would they just shake its artificially intelligent heads at me and call me names because I'm not "their dad"? :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    So I docked a turret to a turret, but it would not let me dock that turret to the ship, as it states that a turret must be the last thing on a chain, or something to that effect. I'm sure I could dock a turret to a ship to a ship, but that's not quite the idea I was hoping for. The error that it gave me did say "For now" on it though, in parentheses, so I'm optimistic that there will be turrets that can have turrets as well in the somewhat distant future. This would be a good addition for those monster planetary defense turrets, so they can have some up-close AA guns for anything that makes it past the business end of the main barrel. Anyways, it looks like whatever spider lookin' drone projects I've got in mind will just have to gather some dust till then. :)

Reaction score
    I had just thought of a ship design, sitting here on my lunch break, that would have turrets that resembled crab legs, that docked in the back, and had another turret dock on the end of the leg, so it would be segmented as such, with whatever weapon on the last "leg". In my head, the turrets would swivel out and flail around to aim at whatever ship I had targeted, (right now I'm not even sure that you can chain dock a turret to another turret, but as I am at work, I dunno.) though I don't think there's any way to go into the structure tab and re-align turrets to the start position, without having to switch over to every turret and do it manually. With the design that popped into my head, there would be 18 turret 'segments' I would have to essentially scroll through and fold back up by hand, so yea. It would be nice if the turrets would return to a 'resting' position after they're done firing, so you don't have your deck gun hanging limp off the port side until you run across another pirate.
    Maybe this one should have been in the suggestion section, I dunno, but I'd like to get everyone's 2 cents in on this anyway. :)
    yeah i would like something like that but i would expand it to the whole AI because if you want a ship with bobby AI to patrol or take care of your base and they are just set as ship if some pirates come and fly around your ship would fly away with them and thats the point why the AI set as Ship doesn't really work at the moment so this system could work much better if there would be an option to set/unset a "HOME" Section for Bobby AI ships or a resting position for Turrets

Reactions: Argyle_Ninja
    Reaction score
    I would like to see this option for turrets

under the Structure tab. add the following setting for turrets
    • Turret Docking System Collective:
      • Reset Turret Realignment - this set them all to their position ("Set default turret position" in the Turret Docking System setting) for each turret.

• Turret Docking System
        • Turret Pitch Position lock <on, off> - Toggle mouse click. Tells the turret if it can change it's Pitch.
        • Turret Rotation Position lock <on, off> - Toggle mouse click. Tells the turret if it can change it's rotation.
        • Set default turret position [Drop Down]
          • Drop Down menu [0 Degrees<default>,90 Degrees,180 Degrees,270 Degrees]
        • Turret Status: <AI Active,AI Inactive,Player Controlled,Non-responsive>

These addition would allow for fixed position turrets and and allow re-alignment adjusting all from the comfort of your Ship's Structure tab.

Reaction score
    Also add to Turret Docking System

Turret Name - the location ID is ok but i would like to see the name of the turret as well.

It would also be nice when you select(or expand the tree) of one of the turret in the "Turret Docking System -tree" that it will make the Green docking borders blink if your in build mode. That way you can find it faster on your ship.

Reaction score
    This has been a problem ever since the update that saved the "turret's last position"
    It would be nice if they just swiveled back into place when finished shooting.

Also, whatever happened to being able to change the direction that something faces when docked?
    There was an update months ago that supposedly implemented it but I have yet to see it done.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like to see this option for turrets

under the Structure tab. add the following setting for turrets
    • Turret Docking System Collective:
      • Reset Turret Realignment - this set them all to their position ("Set default turret position" in the Turret Docking System setting) for each turret.

• Turret Docking System
        • Turret Pitch Position lock <on, off> - Toggle mouse click. Tells the turret if it can change it's Pitch.
        • Turret Rotation Position lock <on, off> - Toggle mouse click. Tells the turret if it can change it's rotation.
        • Set default turret position [Drop Down]
          • Drop Down menu [0 Degrees<default>,90 Degrees,180 Degrees,270 Degrees]
        • Turret Status: <AI Active,AI Inactive,Player Controlled,Non-responsive>

These addition would allow for fixed position turrets and and allow re-alignment adjusting all from the comfort of your Ship's Structure tab.
    This is brilliant, I love it, scheme pls read.

I'm sure this one is in the pipe, but it can't come soon enough.

Reaction score
    I was just looking to see if there was a way to make turrets return to position. I guess the answer is no at this point. Reminds me of a dead bug with legs sticking out in random directions : )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I was just looking to see if there was a way to make turrets return to position. I guess the answer is no at this point. Reminds me of a dead bug with legs sticking out in random directions : )
    It's probably been brought up before, but as is, you can reset turret position manually with I believe "C" as the default control.. But yea, every time a pirate wanders in: dead bug. :)