Structure Storage!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Basic idea: A structure that could be used to take ships, and dock them, then you could
    "Store " them in banks of modules. Then, when you wanted them, you could activate the modules, and all the things stored in them would pop out.

How it would work: You would bind a rail docker to the computer. along with large quantities of modules. Then, you would dock something to the rail docker and press and activate the computer. The ship would go away, and a file of its structure saved. The more modules you have, the more you can store. The computer would use power when something was stored, and lots when it was released. This could be especially useful with some sort of AI automated docking system and logic, possibly allowing the process to be automated.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This is mod material, but I wouldn't support it in main game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I may be misunderstanding this, but it doesnt seem to differ that much from a shipyard with a dedicated storage box for all the parts of each ship. Deconstruct and reconstruct as you feel like it.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well, I originally was thinking to have this usable on ships, as it would still require already built structures.

Reaction score
    Well, I originally was thinking to have this usable on ships, as it would still require already built structures.
    so basically carriers turn into ships with a long runway that can pack hundreds of pre packaged ships just waiting to be launched at an enemy ....

I am 100% sure that this is in NO way shape or form abuseable in any capacity, lets definitely implement this right away.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Isn't this basically what shipyards do right now???

That's how I use them anyway.
    I keep a couple miners and ratters sitting in docking, but all my other large ships I disassemble to designs (twice - so I have a backup design besides the one stored in shared faction storage. just in case) and basically "store" them in the giant materials stockpile. When I want one I place a build order, go do some other crap for a couple minutes and the ship is ready. When I'm done I disassemble it into station storage again. This way my station isn't docked with 1/2M extra blocks making just being at base slow and potentially laggy for some faction members but I still have all my ships pretty quick to hand.