Read by Schine Storage Suggestion

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The long of it....
    I built a Salvage vessel and decided to make the storage component a separate ship. My thinking was... If I make the storage unit mobile, I won't have to manually move the inventory. Go salvage blocks. Take the storage unit to my factories to make more blocks. Then take the storage unit to my shipyard to build ships.

The short of it....
    Doesn't work. The game does not allow me to link my salvage computer in the Salvage ship, to the storage blocks of my storage unit.

Which leads to...
    Is there a system already in place for transferring inventory?
    Will we ever be able to link the salvage computer in one ship to the storage units of another ship (more precisely a different docked ship)?

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Manually moving cargo via your inventory between entities is the only way to move cargo between different entities at present, But I'm pretty sure I read that working on that is a priority.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Manually moving cargo via your inventory between entities is the only way to move cargo between different entities at present, But I'm pretty sure I read that working on that is a priority.
    When the cargo update is update is released, I believe the transfer of cargo between entities will be possible. So it's just a waiting game at this point.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    When the cargo update is update is released, I believe the transfer of cargo between entities will be possible. So it's just a waiting game at this point.
    We're looking at the best method for transferring stored blocks etc between entities, one that can integrate with all the storage solutions once the cargo update happens. Ideally it will be intuitive, simple to implement, use existing mechanics we're used to, but also be adaptable as after all it's all about how you build using it.

Reactions: Blaza612
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The long of it....
    I built a Salvage vessel and decided to make the storage component a separate ship. My thinking was... If I make the storage unit mobile, I won't have to manually move the inventory. Go salvage blocks. Take the storage unit to my factories to make more blocks. Then take the storage unit to my shipyard to build ships.

The short of it....
    Doesn't work. The game does not allow me to link my salvage computer in the Salvage ship, to the storage blocks of my storage unit.

Which leads to...
    Is there a system already in place for transferring inventory?
    Will we ever be able to link the salvage computer in one ship to the storage units of another ship (more precisely a different docked ship)?
    Basically the easiest thing I came up with can be seen here. http://starmadedock.net/threads/dockable-station.21283/
    I put a box in my docking bay. The loot in my ship is set to rotate to that storage by the doors. I then simply take it out of one and place it in the other. Once the loot is placed in the other container it is pulled to my main storage area where it is sorted and put in marked containers.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1444417184,1444416728][/DOUBLEPOST]

We're looking at the best method for transferring stored blocks etc between entities, one that can integrate with all the storage solutions once the cargo update happens. Ideally it will be intuitive, simple to implement, use existing mechanics we're used to, but also be adaptable as after all it's all about how you build using it.
    There should be a few things looked at when it comes to this.
    Any container should be no more than one docking connection removed. It should also be on an entity that is docked to that vessel not the other way around. Think of it like a minecart system. It make sense you can put stuff in a minecart and role it into another location. but once it isn't at the loading area it shouldn't be able to be accessed the same.

You don't want someone parking a cart on the ship setting it as the target and then moving it to a home station and everything the ship picks up gets transferred to the home station.

You probably already have flags in place you could use to validate the checks. Such as the ships ability to transfer power to the turrets and ships docked on it along with shields. Thus if the vessel it is on is able to get power and shields from the ship it should be able to pull from the beams.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Alright... Based on what I know of game mechanics, does this idea have legs?

New Block type: Cargo Transfer Block. CTB for short.

My idea is based on the wireless transmitter block. It allows you to link wireless blocks built on different ship core entities.

I see two applications for the CTB. Inventory transfers, and Trading.

For inventory transfers, you would need a CTB on each entity that you intend to move inventory between. In my case, I need a CTB on my salvage ship, and a CTB on my cargo module (which docks to my salvager in a dedicated bay). I hook the CTB in the salvager to the storage blocks that are linked to the salvage computer. I then link the CTB on the cargo module to the storage blocks on the cargo module. Now I link the two CTB like a wireless transmitter, one way or two way. These two storage systems are now linked and will perform depending on the sorting rules. The CTB remembers they are linked, and will relink the same way the next time the two entities dock.

Once I get to my factory/shipyard, I can dock the cargo module to the factory and then link the CTB on the cargo module to a CTB at the factory/shipyard that has been linked to the appropriate processors, factories, shipyard stock, etc.. At the factory/shipyard level you do not HAVE to have storage. The CTB would operate as a portal to the blocks in the cargo module.

For trading. You place the CTB on the exterior of your ship (probably near your rail docker/basic rail). You then link it to the storage blocks that you want available. The other player would also need a CTB on their ship. For trading, you use the rail docker beam to "link" the CTBs. A trade window opens up, showing the contents of the selected storage blocks. The details of a trade dialogue box is a post on its own. I will leave it at that.

Or am I way off base?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Groovy. And it just clicked that you are Bench. Thank you very much for the game tutorials and especially the logic tutorials. I love this game. Two Thumbs up to the crew at Schine!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm guessing a simple way to send cargo from one entity to another is to have wifi blocks on both of them connected to storage boxes and when you dock it is able to transfer. :)

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Groovy. And it just clicked that you are Bench. Thank you very much for the game tutorials and especially the logic tutorials. I love this game. Two Thumbs up to the crew at Schine!
    Haha yes the one and the same