Recognized Storage Menu Sorting Options

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The storage system allows us to put the entirety of our worldly possessions into a single system and access them anywhere within the same system with personal cargo. This system is far superior to the old individual chest sorting system but there is some quality of life features missing. If you have ever used creative you'll know the creative menu has a nice organized list of blocks. The option to also sort storage systems would make it much easier to find specific blocks without having to use the search feature every time.

Options:
    Sort by type - This will sort your cargo to mimic the creative menu
    Sort by stack (largest) - sort your cargo by largest stacks
    Sort by stack (smallest) - sort your cargo by smallest stacks
    Sort by weight (heaviest) - Sort your cargo by heaviest stacks
    Sort by weight (lightest) - Sort your cargo by lightest stacks

Reaction score
    Good idea, let's do that. One question: would it be better to sort by weight or volume? I know there's very little difference now, but I seem to recall plans to overhaul that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    on my station I used to have my storage divided into item catagories in different boxes,it was easy to find what you were looking for (I had displays for all)but I couldn't access away from station.if they changed it so you could set multiple storage units to personal cargo the problem would be solved as you could use a pull down menu to access.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    on my station I used to have my storage divided into item catagories in different boxes,it was easy to find what you were looking for (I had displays for all)but I couldn't access away from station.if they changed it so you could set multiple storage units to personal cargo the problem would be solved as you could use a pull down menu to access.
    There are other issues with sorting into multiple chests as each would need their own storage areas and of course chests with more items would require more space. You would either have to constantly add more to chests that fill up or just give every chest a lot of storage thus wasting a lot as well... as I already had a sorting system in my station I was planning on doing this but the benefits of a single cargo system and personal storage easily outweighs any chest by chest sorting.

Good idea, let's do that. One question: would it be better to sort by weight or volume? I know there's very little difference now, but I seem to recall plans to overhaul that.
    Stack size would be volume and weight would be weight of course.

Reaction score
    Okay, I assumed stack size was just by item count, not volume. I understand now.

Reaction score
    The more sorting options for inventory and storage the better. This will save people a lot of time and make large inventories much easier to deal with.

Reaction score
    Excellent idea! Maybe also a split for the top10 slots (usable slots) just for ease to see wha will show in the slotbar below

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sounds good. Are you sure that you cannot sort storage by the predefined shop categories though? Thought that was already in. Or maybe it's just for when you setup the pulls. Either way, great suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Sounds good. Are you sure that you cannot sort storage by the predefined shop categories though? Thought that was already in. Or maybe it's just for when you setup the pulls. Either way, great suggestion.
    Just to make sure this is clear I am specifically talking about sorting the in game survival inventory so the items are organized in the window in a similar fashion to the creative inventory. (In the case of sort by type)

Of course the other sorting options would use stack numbers.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    In addition to these sorting ideas: I would like a tool that copies a 'snapshot' of a particular storage box's sorting system and then allows me to store and recall different snapshots of Sorting. Since the earliest days of inventory games we have been organizing our 'chests' visually...we do this intuitively and automatically. Why not make use of this?