Storage Logic

Reaction score
    Hello

It appears storage does not trike a pulse when it is being drained by a factory, that, or i am doing some thing wrong :)

Any way, i have a simple setup where factories pull from a storage box which should tricker the OR gate once empty, how ever this never happes.

If storage boxes empty another storage box this will tricker the OR gate.

So my question is how do i get the storage box to flip the OR gate once it is empty drained by the factory?

My current solution is to send 1 unit around in a circel of 4, while checking on a box that is not the 1 the factory is pulling from. But that is not staple enough

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    my solution is this:

create a storage clock (a pair of chests passing a single item back and forth, i use a faction module (not used for crafting).

hook one side of that storage clock up to each of your material draw chests, and program each pairing to pass an item back and forth with that side of the storage clock as well. i use colored ingot / crystal wedges for similar purposes: they are easy to identify with the correct chest and are not used in crafting recipes, so your factory will never accidentally draw them out and ruin your clock.

the result is a storage clock where one size goes from 0-17 items, and the other goes from 0-1.

for simplicity's sake, i have only included ore chests in this mockup, but you can see how it would easily be expanded to include crystal sources as well:

AM = Activation Module
    image link: http://imgur.com/oUfo5RW

the result is a very slow blink on the storage clock's timing. on my factories, i attach each empty indicator wired to a fast blinker setup, so it goes OFF / fast-blink / OFF / fast-blink. (the OFF times are created for when the ore / crystal storage units contain their respective wedge).

note: you can easily add a breaker onto the storage clock with the quick substitution of an AND gate to the storage clock. this system only updates every TWO factory ticks since they go faster than storage units do, but it still works. good luck to you, i hope this helps. be sure to power all of the storage draws from the same overall source, or your storage clock may break.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hello

Thank you for answering and making a neat little drawing, there really could me more of that stuff around.

I tried to setup this clock, seems to work fine. But does it not just poll every storage container at an interval making any everntual OR gate go high every few seconds.

That is how is how i have it right now, it does cause a re-check of storage status but if you use the OR gate to start/stop the factory it does not quite work.

Im trying to make a chain of factories that can start them self if and item lower in the production chain is missing for the purpose of making armor atm.

Again thanks for you example it did help especially the drawing

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    I tried to setup this clock, seems to work fine. But does it not just poll every storage container at an interval making any everntual OR gate go high every few seconds.
    i'm not entirely sure I follow what you're saying there, but in my example, the first chest marked "Zerc" would contain your Zercaner Capsules (feeding into the factory), and a Zercaner Ingot Wedge going back and forth between itself and the Storage clock unit at the bottom.

If, in the course of production, the source of Zercaner Capsules is depleted, the only item in the chest becomes the Zercaner Ingot Wedge. Thus, the chest is empty --on the half of the storage clock pulse where the Zercaner Ingot Wedge is in the storage clock unit at the bottom - of the picture, triggering a "Zercaner supply depleted" indicator light. The chest becomes not empty once the chest pulls that wedge back up, and then empty again when it goes back down.

Using this system to throttle down or off a factory seems possible using latches or flip flops, but i don't know, i don't tend to make factories that complex. I would need a much clearer picture of what it is you're trying to do, it sounds markedly different than what i was envisioning you asking about.

Here's a screenshot of my factory setup, if this helps at all:

capsule source array:
    here you see the 8 colors of minerals in ore and crystal.
    around the corner to the right you'll see the "drop" chest which feeds the capsule and scrap refineries, and a chest which houses the mesh and crystal composite created from the refinery process. every factory in the setup to follow draws material out of these chests. simultaneously, each chest is wired to every factory in the setup, so all leftover material is recycled into the common draw. checking on available resources is a snap, and i have actually ceased to bother with empty indicator lights myself.

the main factory
    the factory is designed to be operated like a console in build mode. on the left there are two assembly lines, with each factory wired both to the material draw and to each factory behind it in the manufacturing process. by re-wiring (using shift+V) the appropriate ratio of enhancers in the arrays (above), you can make advanced or crystal armor with the bare minimum of leftover materials used. the bottom units are 100s, the middle are 200s, and the top are 300s.
    items already in this chest are send to the storage array (next image).

the middle red / orange / green light item is a button which disables all running factories by pulsing them with a button, and then the chest below is set to on for one storage tick to clean out any non-production material (i.e. blocks crafted) from all factories in the setup.
    it cycles a storage clock once which run the following operations:

red (storage clock hi): button-pulse factories to stop production, send items currently in the chest into storage
    orange (storage clock low): pull all non-production materials (i.e.mesh, crystal composite, capsules or paint) out of all factories and into the chest for pickup.
    green: sequence complete, waiting for another button press

the three stacked factories are a patchbay for free-form crafting. the enhancer arrays are usually enough for 2-3 people to be working effectively in the factory at the same time, they just need to agree on who is using which enhancer banks.

on the right is a paint "drip" factory. this makes paint at a slow rate, but i just leave it on all the time. all the basic factories draw from this common supply when making colored hull, so i never need to bother with the paint-making step to get up to standard hull, there's always a load of it in there for having been producing 50 paint per tick as long as the base sector is loaded.

the self-sorting storage array
    the same button that turns off the factories i mentioned earlier uses a storage clock to pulse each of these chests' draws, taking recently produced items and sorting them into the proper chests. these chests also check one another for any mis-placed items, keeping the entire base's block supply neatly sorted and you'll always know where what you need is.

a user will turn off the factory and collect their blocks, remove what they need from the chest, and send the few surplus blocks (or anything else) to storage by pressing the button a second time.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hey

I have deleted my factory for now, so many new ways and stuff to do so i cannot show you a picture.

basicly adv factory would pull on storage for material for production then, when storage runs out it would activate the standard factory which would continue the cicle down the line.

This would be much easier if factories made storage chests go LOW/OFF.

At any rate i have some new ideas now, thanks to you. So im of to build the factory even bigger.... actually not im doing a model first this time :)

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    right on! there are lots of ways to make a factory, just have to find the way that works best for you. good luck!