Stop blocking Tor exit nodes

Reaction score
    As the title says I request that Starmade Dock stop blocking Tor exit nodes, why?
    Because there is no point to blocking them and legitimate people who use Tor to access the internet (for example i run a Linux VM that routes all connections through the Tor network)

Abusers for the Tor network can easily bypass an IP ban on tor by simply clicking new identity and then BAM new IP that you block, this also prevents legitimate users who use Tor from accessing your site without their privacy being compromised, people have a right to privacy, Starmade dock does not seem to respect that.

There is such thing as people who use Tor legitimately, so for the love of god stop blocking a service that people have a right to use.

Reaction score
    We block tor exit nodes because the amount of nefarious traffic from Tor exit nodes has historically far outweighed the amount of legitimate traffic.

When we decided to block anonymous endpoints, we asked for examples of legitimate uses for accessing SMD through Tor versus a non-anonymous connection, and there were none presented at that time. If you have some, please let me know and we will reconsider the status quo.

Reaction score
    We block tor exit nodes because the amount of nefarious traffic from Tor exit nodes has historically far outweighed the amount of legitimate traffic.

When we decided to block anonymous endpoints, we asked for examples of legitimate uses for accessing SMD through Tor versus a non-anonymous connection, and there were none presented at that time. If you have some, please let me know and we will reconsider the status quo.
    Compiled list of legitimate uses for TOR that matter in this context:
    They protect their privacy from unscrupulous marketers and identity thieves
    Advertisements Displayed on your site collect personal information about a visitor and sell it to whoever wants to buy it, even identity thieves.

They protect their communications from irresponsible corporations.
    Advertisements displayed on your site can easily fall into the wrong hands, pedophiles, hostile governments, identity thieves, advertising corporations, the list goes on.

They prevent prying eyes from conducting surveillance on innocent people.

It has been proven that the US actively and indiscriminately spies on its own citizens and the citizens of other countries, people have a right to privacy, Tor allows people this right.

Innocent people are increasingly being put under surveillance in Multiple Countries.
    People are frequently sued, arrested or imprisoned for offending someone on the internet whenever an individual or a government.

It is 100% possible to be arrested, imprisoned or sued for "flaming" and a lot of countries do this.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Compiled list of legitimate uses for TOR that matter in this context:
    They protect their privacy from unscrupulous marketers and identity thieves
    Advertisements Displayed on your site collect personal information about a visitor and sell it to whoever wants to buy it, even identity thieves.

They protect their communications from irresponsible corporations.
    Advertisements displayed on your site can easily fall into the wrong hands, pedophiles, hostile governments, identity thieves, advertising corporations, the list goes on.

They prevent prying eyes from conducting surveillance on innocent people.

It has been proven that the US actively and indiscriminately spies on its own citizens and the citizens of other countries, people have a right to privacy, Tor allows people this right.

Innocent people are increasingly being put under surveillance in Multiple Countries.
    People are frequently sued, arrested or imprisoned for offending someone on the internet whenever an individual or a government.

It is 100% possible to be arrested, imprisoned or sued for "flaming" and a lot of countries do this.
    (The response below is solely the stance of StarMade Dock and Starmadepedia sites)

I have personally been working on a way to hopefully filter out users who are using TOR to violate our TOS. Until then, we will continue to block TOR exit nodes.

While I respect and can understand the legitimate uses for this service, as my colleague has said, the illegitimate traffic that originates from the service far outweighs good use. People have a right to privacy. However, SMD also has a right to deny a service. TOR has been heavily used to harass users on this site, for now, TOR is not affecting our user base positively.

If we do successfully implement a way to support TOR while protecting our userbase, these exit nodes will be unlocked.