Stingray Carrier

Reaction score
    This is my first build, still under construction but a nice carrier/destroyer and man can it destroy.... I'm going for immersion here of a slick, unique design with full interior. I chose a manta as my inspiration and soon it well have small and medium fighters/tech craft in the front and rear as well as on the wings. Hope you like it, if so I'll post my progress, thanks for lookin' -Ramz

link to Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/98402525@N07/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That is Lookin fantastic The design is unique compared to other ships I\'ve seen on here. And it\'s always nice to see a full and well fleshed out interior, to many people just see that as space for more shields and power. And have you designed the fighter craft yet or is that still a WIP? Post up your dimentions and stats fo far, and keep me posted.

Reaction score
    thanks for the kind words! I have been messing around with smaller ships recently but am still in the process of making them unique soon as I build them I\'ll update the picture page and drop a post here. As for interior, I love immersion and wanted it to be cozy as well as a top notch fighter , it handles very well even at it\'s large size and I\'m using a power block 5x5 system someone had posted in general that is brilliant.

Here are the current production stats

mass 5835.2 (blocks 58352)

length:110m, Height: 45m: width 148m

Power: 22156.9/221.56.9 (998324.9 /sec)

thrust 15489.0

shields: 153912.0/153912 (4265 s/sec) blocks 2635 recovery: 2.0

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I look forward to seeing the finished fighter craft! The design of the carrier is really unique and can\'t wait to see the companion fighter craft. And I\'m glad someone enjoys being immersive as well as effective in their design like I do. Perhaps when I\'ve finished my carrier and you\'ve finished yours we could compare them side by side? I\'d love to actually get in and poke around myself, as well as show off my own work.
    Also, could I ask what all blocks and techniques you\'ve used to make the interior look busy rather then just empty rooms? (Which I\'m bound to have a few of.)

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thats really fuckin awesome. I love the work ya put into that xD

Reaction score
    absolutely! I always enjoy seeing what others do and trading inspiration. As far as the interior goes I triple layered the floor/ceiling system so that I could put lengths of power across the entire ship, and shields between the floors, there\'s allot more to the interior than the screenshots, just haven\'t posted them yet. Anyways it\'s hard to go for anything realistic when everything is in a block or wedge shape but I wanted to eliminate the choppiness of blocks as much as I could and go for a smooth rhythm. To make other rooms look busier I created things like an actual engine room in the lower deck and more than one cockpit area for different views since the ship is very large. I also made each activation block have it\'s own console or control room using the decorative tiles and some power storage tanks, things that look like people would be there pushing\' buttons.

Separate war rooms for others who are on your ship are nice too, give each gunner their own room so they can run to and fro firing from different sides of the ship, run down a corridor to one of the hangers and take off in their own ship etc. It\'s nice to know that when people are on my ship they actually have stuff to do in cozy rooms other than just say \"ah ya nice blocks man.\" and then log off.

As for other ships in mind, I was messing around with a large group of small fighters, one small scavenger even though the ship itself can devour a planet fairly easily, a astro tech ship that can fly around and mend the carrier and all ships on board and two well armed planet landing ships.

also, feel free to post pictures of your carrier here, I\'d love to see it!

Reaction score
    Thank you very much! I should have some time tomorrow to build on it more and I\'ll keep the progress posted!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    See, I double my floor/ceilings, although a 3 layer effect sounds like a better use of the space and could help me use some of the empty space, as my ship is somewhat vertical. And I had planned more of a central command for my guns, the consoles all in one room. Where I have guns I try to put a walk way to them or around them for repairs. I have a large engine room with a few small salvage/repair ships docked. And plan on a few turrets that can be player controlled, as well as function as ships themselves. I\'ll get some pictures as soon as I get the chance. The hull isn\'t quite finished, nor the interior. And mine isnt as sleek looking as yours, I was going for a more spartan/utilitarian design.

Reaction score
    It sounds like a pretty big ship! I honestly think building the engine rooms and designing the cockpits are the most fun part for me. If you need an upload site that flicker is free and no hassles, i\'m enjoyin it so far amigo.

I\'m curious to how big the smaller craft builds you have are. I\'m trying to find that perfect balance of a scaled cockpit/smooth design to weapon ratio, that is really tough on a small design, well for it to be both clean looking and effective.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    In a hurry, but I took some rapid pictures of the carrier and the ships it can house. Though most may go though at least a few changes if not be redesigned completely, i\'m happy enough with them to reveal them. I know the pictures are hard to follow so i\'ll gladly answer any questions anyone has.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98887849@N03/sets/

Current dimensions of the carrier are, L-280, H-74,W-110. (but I expect some of the detail work to change that.)

I need to increase the height of the wings (if you call them that) so that the hangers can actually support docking ports. Though the fighters fit rather nicely as is, it\'s not tall enough for the base height of a docking port. (I really think the docking system needs an overhaul. Maybe a UI that you\'d enter dimensions into, and larger dimensions require connected enhancers or more power. Just something cleaner and easier to define the size with would be good, but I\'m drifting off topic.)

The large back hanger can store 2 of the small frigates and the smaller hanger above that can store 8 fighters, though i\'m thinking of changing it to support different craft. If all the docking works as planned then I\'m expecting to hold between 24 to 30 of my small fighters.(Not counting the back hanger.)

Sorry for the large post! And looking forward to the next update.

Reaction score
    Man that is looking great! I can definitely see the immersion there that we discussed, looks like your an artist after my own heart, you\'d rather go for you\'re own signature than after movie/game ships. Well done man I can appreciate that build.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry for the long absence, I\'ve been away from home and internet access since my last comment. But thank you! I thought the same of yours. Seeing a ship built from a predesigned ship from a game or movie is cool, but builds from scratch is far better in my opinion. But I\'m looking forward to see how you\'ve got along with designing yours, as its one of my favorite builds I\'ve seen on here.

Reaction score
    Hey amigo, I have worked some more on the carrier but I decided to cease for a bit and work on the small ships, seems like I made the docking areas a bit small for some killer designer ships So I\'m going to have to build a MUCH bigger carrier. I\'m still gonna finish the stingray because the ship is a blast to play with . So I mentioned those small fighters, so far I have the red, gold and blue squadron first ships done, we call them the wolf pack as they are sick in combat as a team (tested by my sons and I) Here are some pictures below, I\'ll also add a seperate post for those too. Tell me what you think http://www.flickr.com/photos/98402525@N07/sets/72157634778486501/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Those look fantastic! and I look forward to new carrier as well. the fighters have a real elegance to them. Are all of them basically the same or is each designed differently?

Reaction score
    You got a nice ship there, I thought it was a little funny because I have a smaller ship also based off the manta ray it\'s not really a battle type ship but more as a savaging ship. If you want I can email the picture of mine due to the fact I\'m using my phone to write this.

Reaction score
    Delta, thanks bro, I actually reuploaded my schematic and just changed the main color so they are all the same , but I\'m working on differant ships for the squadrons, basically each squadron well have the same line-up of ships, just differant colors.

I\'m glad ya like it metal, I\'d love to see your version, I\'m having trouble with my email for some reason at the moment but feel free to post it here if you get a chance

Reaction score
    I can do that, soon as it\'s finished. Just a matter of time to actually be able to work on it as my free time has been limited lately.

Reaction score
    okay so I\'ve begun working on the actual flight decks , or at least one of them. The photstream has been updated. http://www.flickr.com/photos/98402525@N07/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    hello my friend, how has progress been? Sorry about my absence, first a move, then some camping. And recently picked up the brave new world expansion for civ 5. so my free time is pretty much gone.