Still not possible to move cores?

Reaction score
    I remember a long time ago that moving cores was suppose to become a thing. And this still doesn't appear to be possible. Has the idea been scrapped?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Its still a fairly low priority thing, but its still on the To Do List last I heard.

In the mean time, I've just been upping the build area in single player creative and doing large scale copy/pastes to move the core.

Reaction score
    Its still a fairly low priority thing, but its still on the To Do List last I heard.

In the mean time, I've just been upping the build area in single player creative and doing large scale copy/pastes to move the core.
    while that does work, moving the core should be a base function. Hell i would prefere there was no core and it was more like FTD

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    while that does work, moving the core should be a base function. Hell i would prefere there was no core and it was more like FTD
    Yeah, I know. Problem is the game was designed around the core and all blueprints currently store the block positions relative to it.

So all the ships are stored in "Grey Hull, 2 blocks in front of core, 1 block up, 7 blocks to the left" format.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think they mentioned being able to have other points where you can take control of the ship. This is probably more useful than moving the core... Or is it?

Discuss...

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    As far as I know, the ability to move your ship core is still planned but isn't a priority right now.

It's not a trivial thing to implement, it's pretty much converting your ship to another ship which doesn't sound easy if you have to do it real time without risking data loss.
    I don't know too much about it though so don't take my word for it.

Reaction score
    Yeah, I know. Problem is the game was designed around the core and all blueprints currently store the block positions relative to it.
    So true, bad design choices will haunt you for eternity and then some :), but not doing something about it can (not is) be worse.
    With more and more voxel games coming Starmade needs to brush up basic functions like how you build and move your designs around or be over run by better alternativs.

As far as I know, the ability to move your ship core is still planned but isn't a priority right now.

It's not a trivial thing to implement, it's pretty much converting your ship to another ship which doesn't sound easy if you have to do it real time without risking data loss.
    It's properly not going to work with in the current frame work of you engine, or that is my guess. But again other games, like FTP have found a solution that does not lock the player to 1 block and allows you to full refit you ship in the "field", with out data lose. So it's not impossible :)

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    So true, bad design choices will haunt you for eternity and then some :), but not doing something about it can (not is) be worse.
    With more and more voxel games coming Starmade needs to brush up basic functions like how you build and move your designs around or be over run by better alternativs.

It's properly not going to work with in the current frame work of you engine, or that is my guess. But again other games, like FTP have found a solution that does not lock the player to 1 block and allows you to full refit you ship in the "field", with out data lose. So it's not impossible :)
    Neither you nor me know enough about the Schine engine and Starmade itself to say for certain that is true. Only Schema does. Perhaps it only takes half an hour to get this system working? And if you're asking, why isn't it implemented then? There's a huge list to pick what to implement or fix, if it's not a priority then it is delayed till a later unknown date.

Reaction score
    I do not assume to know anything, assumptions makes an ass of you and me. I was just making an educated guess and hinting that other companies are catching up in the voxel game genre

Reactions: foodoman
    Reaction score

If you have a look at the file format you can see that it would be easy to write an app to alter the core location/rotation in blueprints.

Doing it in-game in real time would presumably be harder, but still quite simple.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I do not assume to know anything, assumptions makes an ass of you and me. I was just making an educated guess and hinting that other companies are catching up in the voxel game genre
    Other companies are indeed catching up. These other companies are, however, totally blowing it by wasting precious fps with eye candy, falling over totally when faced with the amount of blocks/ship that a SM server can handle and not having half of the creative foundations that SM does.

Reactions: Xskyth
    Reaction score
    An app that rotates cores was put in CC on Thursday: SMBEdit (not SMEdit)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, this is a function we've needed ever since schema decided to use an HP pool instead of simply coring ships to destroy them. The core has been functionally useless in SM except to enter your ship and zoom around quickly / temporarily outside.

The fix should be quite easy, and could be put into a shipyard to try to promote an environment of minimal updates / read-writes and errors going on to the ship & around the ship being edited. Putting a core mover into the advanced build mode to do in space would be more risky to the data.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Sounds like something that would be ideal for a shipyard to do.

Make a new block that serves as a secondary core, and add a shipyard function to move the current core to the location of the secondary one. Long as you only allow a single secondary core per entity, the worst thing that could go wrong is the operation fails and nothing happens.

Do the entire thing via designs so that actual copies of the ships are never touched, and there's nothing for the game to try and render in real time.