Stationary Turrets?

Reaction score
    Is it currently possible to created a stationary/fixed turret? It looks like it used to be possible, but when I've attempted to do it it fails to fire.

I tried to do this by attaching the barrel of a turret to a Rail Basic rather than a Rail Turret Axis. but it does not fire. I think the problem is that while I set the Bobby AI to "turret" and "selected target", it automatically switches to "ship" as every time I reopen the Bobby AI it says "ship". Any ideas for different ways of accomplishing this? (Hopefully with minimum lag inducing collisions.)

Edit: Tested with a Cannon+Cannon turret and a Missile+Beam turret without success.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    fixed turrets work yes (that is to say a turret that cant move) but you must still use the turret rail as far as I am aware

Reaction score
    Yeah, the AI-block seems a bit buggy on any other rail than turrets. But it schould still be firing at enemy fessels. Even if your "turret" thinks, it's a ship.

Reaction score
    Thanks, you are right, it does work on enemy vessels.

I tested by trying to fire on non-factioned selected ships - clearly not the right way to test it.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    the AI will work with a stationary dock. it just needs to "see" its target. The AI's field of vision is based on the ship core. Think of an invisible cone expanding outwards from the front of the ship core that goes through everything and you have your stationary turrets targeting range.

It should be noted that the things that the AI will target are system blocks like power reactor modules and weapon modules. As long as those blocks are within a stationary turrets sight range then it will fire.

(p.s-man seems weird to see one of my old posts again after all this time, getting a little nostalgic seeing how far i've come)

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    its like a 30 degree cone extending out from the mount.
    Surprised me when I was taking my drones into combat, decided I didn't need to deploy them, then the front of my ship lit up like a christmas tree when I got within beam range and they all let loose while still attached to their moors.

Someone should test targeting priority, like if they will attempt to target something and if it moves out of their firing arc will they reaquire or will they hold until they see the target again?

You don't have this problem when you have fire at selected, but I have died to and killed many friendly's by them/I forgetting that the turrets were online. :oops::rolleyes::p

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I use fixed docks a lot and they do work... The problem I've seen with fixed docks is the AI will often get fixated on a target they cannot see and ignore those in front of them therefore they will never fire. In this case I'll often pause in a fight and look at other ships in the dog fight just so my fixed missiles launchers will fire.

Reaction score
    Thanks all for the info. This is all going to be very helpful with getting a ship with primarily broadside armaments to work well.

In this case I'll often pause in a fight and look at other ships in the dog fight just so my fixed missiles launchers will fire.
    Which missile launcher setups have you found work best for this? I haven't tried any yet - but I've been concerned anything that needed to lock-on might have somewhat funky behavior.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Which missile launcher setups have you found work best for this? I haven't tried any yet - but I've been concerned anything that needed to lock-on might have somewhat funky behavior.
    I've always used fixed weapons for tracking missiles even before the rail system and new weapons. Missile+Beam works great as they are fire and forget and the AI has no lock-on time so they will fire as soon as they are facing a target and long reloads means they don't always need to be held on target.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    My larger turrets have multiple docked barrels for targeting multiple enemies at once. The main issue I've noticed is once the AI has a target it tends to not want to pick a new one until either itself or the target is dead.